Chris Jans on Sirius today | The Boneyard

Chris Jans on Sirius today

Reaction Score
Chris Jans, now the coach at Miss. St., was on Sirius today as they are interviewing coaches at the Final Four.

Jans made some interesting comments today. He said building a program culture is over, but building a team each year was the way to go in the transfer portal era. He thought his experience as a JUCO head coach was an advantage as building a team every year is what you do at a JUCO. He also said he likes to compete against culture programs.

I don't agree with his comments about program culture as the 4 teams in the Final Four are really culture programs, but I think coaches have to be flexible in the transfer portal era and they have to evaluate their existing roster and determine if they can improve the roster through the portal.

Reaction Score
There's room for both approaches. Some players will prefer to play for a culture coach, and some just want a transaction.
I don't think it's the player's preference alone.. In fact I'd bet it's the ones recruiting them more so...

Reaction Score
Chris Jans, now the coach at Miss. St., was on Sirius today as they are interviewing coaches at the Final Four.

Jans made some interesting comments today. He said building a program culture is over, but building a team each year was the way to go in the transfer portal era. He thought his experience as a JUCO head coach was an advantage as building a team every year is what you do at a JUCO. He also said he likes to compete against culture programs.

I don't agree with his comments about program culture as the 4 teams in the Final Four are really culture programs, but I think coaches have to be flexible in the transfer portal era and they have to evaluate their existing roster and determine if they can improve the roster through the portal.
Well they're 4 of the best programs in the country so they get to choose who they want. When you're getting your pick of 5 star recruits it's less likely you have to rely heavily on transfers but Carolina relies heavily on transfers now.

Reaction Score
There's room for both approaches. Some players will prefer to play for a culture coach, and some just want a transaction.
Exactly, there are many different ways to be successful. The key is to do the one that fits you as a coach and do it well.

Reaction Score
There's different sorts of culture; old school build around players that'll be with you for 3-4 years (i.e. Nova), one and dones (i.e. Kentucky), or a hybrid.

The portal is creating way more turnover so more programs will be managing like a Kentucky (but for different reasons).

I think UConn will be in the hybrid category.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that was the pitch that got him the job at Miss St, so might as well run with it in public as well.

But 2 of his 3 most important guys at NMSU were 4-5 year guys that were serious culture guys.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Jan’s is a JUCO coach with a punchers chance of making the tournament with New Mexico State or Mississippi State or Kansas State or…

Reaction Score
I'm sure that was the pitch that got him the job at Miss St, so might as well run with it in public as well.

But 2 of his 3 most important guys at NMSU were 4-5 year guys that were serious culture guys.
Have you looked at NM St.’s roster? I really don’t see any culture building here.

Here are the travels of the 16 players:
1) WVU -> Wichita St. -> Western Nebraska CC -> Nebraska -> NM St.
2) Northwest Florida St. -> NM St.
3) Utah -> UNLV -> NM St.
4) N. Idaho College -> Washington -> NM St.
5) Missouri -> John A. Logan College -> NM St.
6) Palm Beach St. Coliege -> NM St.
7) NM St. for 5 years
8) Akron -> LIU -> NM St.
9) NM St. 3 years
10) NJIT -> Indian Hills CC -> NM St.
11) Georgia -> Austin Peay -> NM St.
12) NM St. 6 years
13) Chipola College -> TCU -> Coppin St. -> NM St.
14) Freshman
15) Freshman
16) Freshman

Reaction Score
Texas Tech makes a living off of this recruiting concept also

Reaction Score
Have you looked at NM St.’s roster? I really don’t see any culture building here.

7) NM St. for 5 years
9) NM St. 3 years
12) NM St. 6 years
14) Freshman
15) Freshman
16) Freshman
Their 5 starters had the following number of years at NMSU:

For comparison ours was:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I want a winning program. Who cares how he built his roster if he beats us in important games.

7) NM St. for 5 years
9) NM St. 3 years
12) NM St. 6 years
14) Freshman
15) Freshman
16) Freshman

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I want a winning program. Who cares how he built his roster if he beats us in important games.
He beat us with Teddy Allen and there is zero chance we are taking a kid who got kicked out of four other schools.

Reaction Score
He beat us with Teddy Allen and there is zero chance we are taking a kid who got kicked out of four other schools.
I mean, there's a middle ground here.

We're not going to take atrocious people like Teddy Allen, but we're also better off with established high-ceiling transfers cycling in on the regular to fill holes than riding with the likes of Polley and Whaley forever.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’m just saying - his roster composition was better than ours and he won the game. I know we’re not taking Teddy, not many schools are.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I’m just saying - his roster composition was better than ours and he won the game. I know we’re not taking Teddy, not many schools are.

We beat them 7 or 8 times out of 10, and the 2-3 losses would be if we just completely laid an egg or they shoot lights out from 3. Even if they shot 50% from 3 we still probably would have won that tournament game.

Reaction Score
Their 5 starters had the following number of years at NMSU:

For comparison ours was:
The kid with 1 year at NM State, who was playing at his 5th school, Teddy Allen, scored over half the points against UConn.

Reaction Score
The kid with 1 year at NM State, who was playing at his 5th school, Teddy Allen, scored over half the points against UConn.
Yes, and? It's like Randy Moss with the Patriots. You can take a guy with a troubled past if your established culture is very strong. If you watched the NMSU-Arkansas game, you know that McCants is their emotional leader and culture setter, not Allen.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yes, and? It's like Randy Moss with the Patriots. You can take a guy with a troubled past if your established culture is very strong. If you watched the NMSU-Arkansas game, you know that McCants is their emotional leader and culture setter, not Allen.
I don’t think it was quite like that. I think Jans was just willing to mortgage whatever he had there this season to roll the dice with Allen. If you listened to the podcast from before the tourney that had their beat reporter on it he said Allen would get into shouting matches with Jans in the middle of games throughout the season. That’s not something that happens on a team with strong culture. That was Teddy Allen’s team to do what he wished with it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Teddy Allen makes Nate Miles look like a choir boy. He was reportedly kicked out of the other schools for domestic abuse. Zero chance.

Reaction Score

With Teddy Buckets on his team, I could see how team culture has gone out the window. The guy doesn’t exactly scream “culture fit.”

Reaction Score
I don’t think it was quite like that. I think Jans was just willing to mortgage whatever he had there this season to roll the dice with Allen. If you listened to the podcast from before the tourney that had their beat reporter on it he said Allen would get into shouting matches with Jans in the middle of games throughout the season. That’s not something that happens on a team with strong culture. That was Teddy Allen’s team to do what he wished with it.
From my recollection, the main incident was against Chicago State. He benched Allen for the last few minutes and they lost that game against one of the worst teams in the country. He didn't let Allen run over him or control the team, and then the culture was strong enough that the team didn't get ripped apart and the season didn't collapse. They mended fences. I think that's attributable to the coach and the other 4 starters who had all been there 3-5 years and were bought into Jans. But obviously I don't know for sure. Maybe he did just let Allen run roughshod over the lockerroom and he corrupted everything and they won in spite of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom