Chris Dailey on Bria and Heather | The Boneyard

Chris Dailey on Bria and Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good stuff from Jim Fuller on the Women Raising Awareness Philanthropically luncheon today (CD was keynote speaker and Tina Charles was honored). Jim's story on Tina's good works will run tomorrow.

CD spoke about Bria Hartley and Heather Buck.

On Bria's unselfishness:

"Bria Hartley last year was an All-American as a sophomore when we went to the Final Four. There is was in this meeting, she had a difficult year because of injury, she didn't play the same way, she struggled and was up and down the whole year. In this meeting she volunteered to come off the bench and be that person that we need to give us more offense off the bench. I couldn't have been happier for Bria (after the national title game) because I think that says everything you need to know about her. She wants to win a national championship and she knew that was what she had to do, that was the role she had to fill and she was a big part of why we won the game. People like to point out Breanna Stewart and how she played but I am telling you that if Bria Hartley doesn't accept that role and doesn't realize that 'hey I want to win a national championship and this is my best chance to do it with my teammates and my teammates need' then we don't win the national championship this year regardless of how Breanna Stewart played. I was happiest for Bria. She is our most confident, most competitive (player). We were standing in the runway (the day before the national semifinal) and I looked at her and said 'this could be our last practice.' She said 'it won't be.' I said 'are you guaranteeing that?' She said 'yes.' I said 'all right.' I knew for three days that there was no way we were going to lose to Notre Dame because of the way our kids approached it and the way Bria approached it and the way people accepted their roles."

On Heather:

Dailey said she had a heart to heart with Buck before it was announced that she would return for her fifth season and needed an assurance that Buck would be able to handle a role similar to the one she had in her first three seasons. Buck said she was and other than one time early in preseason camp when Dailey had to remind Buck of the talk that they had, Dailey couldn't have been more impressed with the way Buck acted as the good and supportive teammate even though her minutes were limited. Dailey said one of the highlights for her in the title game was the steal and layup by Buck.

Reaction Score
I still think this idea that Bria "came off the bench to provide energy and scoring" is silly.

I really think she did it because she wanted Doty to start her final games. Because the reality is, she played about 38 minutes in the Notre Dame game, even starting the second half. It wasn't a strategic move, more of a symbolic gesture..that I think made the coaching staff's decision making considerably easier. But of course, was just as unselfish.

Reaction Score
My hope is that UCONN will bogart the AA selections next season, with 4. I see no reason why they shouldn't be like the 01-02 team in that respect, with Bria Hartley being one of them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think everything posted above is just a confirmation of how this program has it right, how well the staff has done in recruiting, and what a magnificent energy and character every class passes on to the next in this unmatched program.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
HEc
Good stuff from Jim Fuller on the Women Raising Awareness Philanthropically luncheon today (CD was keynote speaker and Tina Charles was honored). Jim's story on Tina's good works will run tomorrow.

CD spoke about Bria Hartley and Heather Buck.

, Dailey couldn't have been more impressed with the way Buck acted as the good and supportive teammate even though her minutes were limited. Dailey said one of the highlights for her in the title game was the steal and layup by Buck.

Heck, I can't watch it enough....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I still think this idea that Bria "came off the bench to provide energy and scoring" is silly.

I really think she did it because she wanted Doty to start her final games. Because the reality is, she played about 38 minutes in the Notre Dame game, even starting the second half. It wasn't a strategic move, more of a symbolic gesture..that I think made the coaching staff's decision making considerably easier. But of course, was just as unselfish.
Silly, not sure I agree, because it was the reason that Bria herself gave for coming off the bench.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Heather's steal and layup was a hightlight, but the huge grin and unfettered joy on her face was, by far, my favorite highlight.
HEc

Heck, I can't watch it enough....

Same here. I have had a tough week and just watching that clip 7 - 10 times made me smile ear to ear each time, and especially with that smile!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bria had some problems with shooting and TOs this year. In the post-season run, she generally shot better, if not great, and chose her shots better. She played aggressively on both ends of the floor and really limited her TOs. I'm not sure if she was back to her AA level, but she was close, and it was great to see--both for her and for the team.

Reaction Score
Silly, not sure I agree, because it was the reason that Bria herself gave for coming off the bench.

Bria suggested it and gave those reasons. Geno also cited those reasons. And I don't think either would be apt to say out loud that Bria came off the bench for Caroline.

But the reality was that this "spark off the bench" wasn't what happened. In the big games, Bria came in without about 17 minutes to go into the half, and never came out. That's not really "spark off the bench."

Then Caroline said that it "warmed her heart" that Geno continued to start her even though it was obvious her body couldn't continue to play at a high level any longer. Which suggests to me, that despite Bria and Geno never saying it..Caroline believed Bria came off the bench for her (Caroline's) sake.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would understand that of Geno but disagree with that being Bria's motivation given it came at the guards' meeting where there were discussing the guard issues and what they each would give up for the team. I have little doubt that Caroline would have been the first one to have willingly step towards the bench. Might Caroline have been touched by the decision, absolutely, would she have accepted it from a fellow player as a simple gesture, not for a nano second if she thought that was the only reason it was being done and could hurt the team.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
After reading the above, my thoughts went to our knowledge before the season that seniors
Caroline and Heather would not be going to the WNBA. But we also know that all who are coming back next season do have a WNBA shot. Heady feeling for us fans.

Reaction Score
I would understand that of Geno but disagree with that being Bria's motivation given it came at the guards' meeting where there were discussing the guard issues and what they each would give up for the team. I have little doubt that Caroline would have been the first one to have willingly step towards the bench. Might Caroline have been touched by the decision, absolutely, would she have accepted it from a fellow player as a simple gesture, not for a nano second if she thought that was the only reason it was being done and could hurt the team.

The decision essentially meant that Caroline got to start, and in big games..played around 3 minutes.

Maybe Bria wanted to be able to approach the game differently, thought it would help herself to come off the bench. Maybe.

And I doubt Bria would admit it..just like Geno would never admit it. They don't want to treat Caroline like a charity case. But I think if there are two people on this team who respect and admire what Caroline means to the team from a morale perspective..and the loyalty and heart she shows..It's Geno and Bria. (who don't forget..heavily leaned on Caroline her freshman season.)

Her decision didn't change how she played. It didn't change the minutes she played. Heck, she didn't even get a chance to be a "spark" the games it mattered, because she started the second half of both of them.

So I could be completely wrong, but the only thing Bria coming off the bench did was allow Caroline to start and play a few minutes. If it wasn't for this offer from Bria, Caroline wouldn't have played in the Notre Dame game, and she would have gotten "blow out minutes" in the Championship game. So I have to think that this is the reason.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Geno talked about the team members each deciding what they would give up to help the team. Being a bit of a literalist, I speculate that there was an actual team meeting where each player was asked what they would give up in order to ensure that they would win the NC. See USA - UConn roll to record margin of victory The rest of this post is speculation (but not harmful speculation) and might be a fun exercise to guess what each might have given up.

I can imagine Bria—I'm giving up my expectation that I'll start. If I can do more for the team by coming off the bench, I'll do it.

Caroline—I'll give up my expectation of 15–25 minutes per game. If I'm effective when in, and get more minutes, fine, if the team is doing well when I'm on the bench, I'll live with that.

Stewart—I'm going to give up getting down on myself if I miss a shot, commit a foul or make a mistake. Every possession will be a new possession and I'll start fresh with the attitude that I can do it.

Dolson—I'll give up feeling any pain in my legs. It's just a signal to my brain I'll ignore.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Geno talked about the team members each deciding what they would give up to help the team. Being a bit of a literalist, I speculate that there was an actual team meeting where each player was asked what they would give up in order to ensure that they would win the NC. See USA - UConn roll to record margin of victory The rest of this post is speculation (but not harmful speculation) and might be a fun exercise to guess what each might have given up.

I can imagine Bria—I'm giving up my expectation that I'll start. If I can do more for the team by coming off the bench, I'll do it.

Caroline—I'll give up my expectation of 15–25 minutes per game. If I'm effective when in, and get more minutes, fine, if the team is doing well when I'm on the bench, I'll live with that.

Stewart—I'm going to give up getting down on myself if I miss a shot, commit a foul or make a mistake. Every possession will be a new possession and I'll start fresh with the attitude that I can do it.

Dolson—I'll give up feeling any pain in my legs. It's just a signal to my brain I'll ignore.
Kaleena - I'll give up passing the ball and shoot every time I touch it. :)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think everything posted above is just a confirmation of how this program has it right, how well the staff has done in recruiting, and what a magnificent energy and character every class passes on to the next in this unmatched program.
RockyMTBlue- you just said so much in a short post-,touché! They win with class, lose with class! The winning is great! But there is so much more that makes me crazy about this program!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Bria had some problems with shooting and TOs this year. In the post-season run, she generally shot better, if not great, and chose her shots better. She played aggressively on both ends of the floor and really limited her TOs. I'm not sure if she was back to her AA level, but she was close, and it was great to see--both for her and for the team.
The more you watch the semi and NC game- she was flying up and down the court! Her energy and decision making was excellent! Defense was phenomenal! Steals and disrupted passing lanes like Kelly. She is close to back!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Kaleena - I'll give up passing the ball and shoot every time I touch it. :)
U obviously are in tune to this team- that all seams right on to me!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The only game other than once a year on Senior Night that Geno has given a player a start for any reason other than the overall benefit of the team, was Nakisha's last game. And with all the controversy that stirred up, he probably will never do it again!
Doty no longer has the skills she had before the injuries, but her basketball IQ is much better. Her presence help keep the team calm and get past the adrenalin rush of the first few minutes of any contest - even in the Kentucky game where she was having trouble with the pressure.
And I also think Bria truly benefitted from those first few minutes to study the game and talk with CD and Shea on the bench. When she got into the game she was ready and she knew how to attack. She might not have performed as well had she started.
I don't think she or Doty or anyone else would have done anything for 'sentimental' reasons - these folks are fierce about basketball, emotions be d_mned!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The only game other than once a year on Senior Night that Geno has given a player a start for any reason other than the overall benefit of the team, was Nakisha's last game. And with all the controversy that stirred up, he probably will never do it again!
Doty no longer has the skills she had before the injuries, but her basketball IQ is much better. Her presence help keep the team calm and get past the adrenalin rush of the first few minutes of any contest - even in the Kentucky game where she was having trouble with the pressure.
And I also think Bria truly benefitted from those first few minutes to study the game and talk with CD and Shea on the bench. When she got into the game she was ready and she knew how to attack. She might not have performed as well had she started.
I don't think she or Doty or anyone else would have done anything for 'sentimental' reasons - these folks are fierce about basketball, emotions be d_mned!
its Nykesha... (sorry I had to do but people make such a big deal of it)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
its Nykesha... (sorry I had to do but people make such a big deal of it)
Thanks - I try to be very careful about current players, but got lazy on this because I figured Nykesha and her family and close friends have stopped reading the BY.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks - I try to be very careful about current players, but got lazy on this because I figured Nykesha and her family and close friends have stopped reading the BY.
its not about CoolKesh, her friends and family... its about Boneyard posters :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom