Choosing Up Sides | The Boneyard

Choosing Up Sides

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With all 11 Huskies back on campus and ready to go, pickup games will start in earnest as early as today. While I’m certain the players will be delighted to get back on the court with their teammates, the competition for PT, under the watchful eyes of Geno and his staff, will no doubt be fiercely competitive.

That got me to thinking about choosing up sides. I suspect everyone has an opinion on what the most competitive intra-squad matchup might look like. I figure you need to split up the two true posts as well as the freshmen pg’s. Here are my teams:

Team 1 – Nika, Christyn, Mir, Aubrey, Liv

Team 2 – Paige, Evina, Anna, Aaliyah, Piath

Autumn would be in the unique position of backing up everyone on both teams.

Naturally, the teams will change up from one day to the next. I fully expect that the indomitable freshmen crew will want to challenge the veterans, who will no doubt soundly thrash them, at least at the start. But I expect that the freshmen will keep coming back again and again, until the challenge for the veterans will not be so easy.

One final thought. As hard up as all of us are for UConn WBB, maybe the University would consider selling a streaming service to watch the team practice. Considering that most of us are stuck in our homes these days, I figure there would be a few thousand dedicated fans who would tune in daily. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it’s freshman vs the vets regardless of position.
That certainly could happen frequently. But I seem to remember that in past years, the upperclassmen would put together the teams from practice to practice.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
With all 11 Huskies back on campus and ready to go, pickup games will start in earnest as early as today. While I’m certain the players will be delighted to get back on the court with their teammates, the competition for PT, under the watchful eyes of Geno and his staff, will no doubt be fiercely competitive.

That got me to thinking about choosing up sides. I suspect everyone has an opinion on what the most competitive intra-squad matchup might look like. I figure you need to split up the two true posts as well as the freshmen pg’s. Here are my teams:

Team 1 – Nika, Christyn, Mir, Aubrey, Liv

Team 2 – Paige, Evina, Anna, Aaliyah, Piath

Autumn would be in the unique position of backing up everyone on both teams.

Naturally, the teams will change up from one day to the next. I fully expect that the indomitable freshmen crew will want to challenge the veterans, who will no doubt soundly thrash them, at least at the start. But I expect that the freshmen will keep coming back again and again, until the challenge for the veterans will not be so easy.

One final thought. As hard up as all of us are for UConn WBB, maybe the University would consider selling a streaming service to watch the team practice. Considering that most of us are stuck in our homes these days, I figure there would be a few thousand dedicated fans who would tune in daily. :)
There's only one little problem with this arrangement, ONLY 4 people can practice at the same time. No 5 on 5 scrimmages under current NCAA COVID-19 guidelines.:(

Reaction Score
There's only one little problem with this arrangement, ONLY 4 people can practice at the same time. No 5 on 5 scrimmages under current NCAA COVID-19 guidelines.:(
4 on 4 is safe but not 5 on 5? Really? Seems to be a distinction without a difference. The 5th players will be rotating in anyway no? I am all in on no 10 on 10 games.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
4 on 4 is safe but not 5 on 5? Really? Seems to be a distinction without a difference. The 5th players will be rotating in anyway no? I am all in on no 10 on 10 games.
Not 4 on 4, ONLY 4 people can practice at the same time.

Reaction Score
That seems like a dumb rule to me. Male football can go 11 on 11 but women have to only go 2 on 2. They are fully quarantined and in a bubble at the moment. is this true also of the coaches led workouts? I just read the NCAA rules for this time period and it says nothing about a 2 on 2 limit. It just limits required physical activity to 8 hours a week for strength and conditioning a skill activity of which only 4 hours can be skill activities.

Some of these rules seem counter productive to me. These are kids who are now on campus and it would appear to me are unsupervised for all but 8 hours/week?? No group bonding or fun activities permitted? To me seems to be asking for issues.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/d1/D1GOV_COVID-19ActionChart.pdf attachment B

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That seems like a dumb rule to me. Male football can go 11 on 11 but women have to only go 2 on 2. They are fully quarentined and in a bubble at the moment. is this true also of the coaches led workouts?
I believe that the NCAA only allows the 11 on 11 outside, all indoor activities are to be 4 people at a time. I guess that means no male practice players this year.

Reaction Score
I added some NCAA info to that post. I don't think they ever had male practice players in the summer sessions which were mostly run by the upper classmen. The Regular preseason workouts scheduled later in the fall seem to be unchanged.

Reaction Score
To get back to the original premise of this thread, in 2 on 2 I have Paige and Evina. What other two can beat them? First to 21, gotta win by 2.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Back to the original premise without worrying about current restrictions, I pick team 2 over team 1. Not sure Nika, Christyn would provide the consistent entry passes to Liv (Nika seems to be more of an assist machine on the break) and there is probably not enough outside shooting to provide the spacing that would optimize Liv's talents. They would probably dominate the boards but not enough to even the score

Reaction Score
I’ll still pay for streaming service, even if it’s only 2 on 2 basketball.......;)

I brought this up about a month ago. Even a no-audio stream would be desirable. And if showing it live is a problem then tape it, edit it and show it a few days later.
Of course there may be a rule against recording practices. The NCAA loves rules. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I brought this up about a month ago. Even a no-audio stream would be desirable. And if showing it live is a problem then tape it, edit it and show it a few days later.
Of course there may be a rule against recording practices. The NCAA loves rules. :rolleyes:
The NCAA also loves money. How about if UConn cuts them in for a few denaros?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The NCAA also loves money. How about if UConn cuts them in for a few denaros?
The NCAA would take the denaros, then ding UConn with rules violations on taping the practice and bribing the NCAA in hopes of them overlooking the rules violation of taping the practice.

Reaction Score
To get back to the original premise of this thread, in 2 on 2 I have Paige and Evina. What other two can beat them? First to 21, gotta win by 2.

If you have Christyn and Olivia, who of the two guards Olivia?

Reaction Score
If you have Christyn and Olivia, who of the two guards Olivia?
My experience with 2 on 2 with good players is that the advantage of one of them being a big that you can dump down to for the easy two is more than offset by the bigs inability to guard a quick player away from the basket. If Olivia comes out to guard Paige or Evina they will blow by her for a layup. If she doesn't come out to guard one of them they get open two's or three's. That's why I opted not to take Olivia.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I believe that the NCAA only allows the 11 on 11 outside, all indoor activities are to be 4 people at a time. I guess that means no male practice players this year.
I believe that is correct, at this point at least. At Oregon each group of 4 works with a single coach only, all of them wearing masks. The groups do not interact, and the membership of each group, and the coach assigned to it, also do not change.

Reaction Score
My experience with 2 on 2 with good players is that the advantage of one of them being a big that you can dump down to for the easy two is more than offset by the bigs inability to guard a quick player away from the basket. If Olivia comes out to guard Paige or Evina they will blow by her for a layup. If she doesn't come out to guard one of them they get open two's or three's. That's why I opted not to take Olivia.

The percentage of a close-in shot is much higher than a long 2 or 3. Also, Olivia doesn't have to be right on top of either of them because of her wingspan. If they get by her, she'll recover and swat their shot into the stands.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So let me ask this question that maybe I missed the note. So, if the team can find an “outdoor” court to play on, they could do 5 on 5? Too bad we repaired the Gampel tiles...

Reaction Score
I believe that is correct, at this point at least. At Oregon each group of 4 works with a single coach only, all of them wearing masks. The groups do not interact, and the membership of each group, and the coach assigned to it, also do not change.
If that is true can the girls practice outside and play 5 on 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom