Chong... claiming her spot | The Boneyard

Chong... claiming her spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno has a nice perspective on her, very appropriate, says all freshmen go through it, nothing more.

Reaction Score
I hope Saniya works very hard and continues to improve her game. She was a scoring machine in high school and seems like a natural at the two. The improvement of Saniya has made UCONN that more dangerous. Jefferson, Chong, and Nurse just may be three of the best guards in the country. Just what other coaches in the country wanted to hear.

Reaction Score
Will be great to see Saniya do what she is capable of doing. We saw it in brief spurts last year. Confidence and consistency go together.

Reaction Score
I think that PT will create a very tough team in the long run.........Everybody has a chance to play this season.........Lets see next weekend and then look at them again after the Thanksgiving tournament in FL..........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope Saniya works very hard and continues to improve her game. She was a scoring machine in high school and seems like a natural at the two. The improvement of Saniya has made UCONN that more dangerous. Jefferson, Chong, and Nurse just may be three of the best guards in the country. Just what other coaches in the country wanted to hear.
The scary thing about that is one is a junior, one a sophomore, and one a freshman. Not like you can say "hey next year they won't be as good at that position!"...

I am so happy that she's made a big jump. (side note - can you imagine how spectacular Nurse will be if she makes some kind of freshman to sophomore jump???!!!) With all the speculation it seems that the 2 best players at the 2G spot are Chong and Nurse. The great thing is both can play the 1 as well. A 3 guard rotation will certainly put to rest the suggestions that Tuck start and that we move KML to the 2G spot.

So far it seems like in addition to our starting 5, the most PT off the bench will go to forwards Tuck and Williams, and guard Nurse. What a phenomenal rotation of players!!

Reaction Score
interesting that a number of posters are thinking of Williams as a forward....her athletic skills suggest she would be fine off the defensive boards and a very difficult match up for almost any forward(big or small) on the offensive end...its a comfort to know that we have a 5th player to slide into the 3 or possibly 4 spot...the demands on Stewie, KML, Kiah and Morgan as a group filling the minutes of the 3,4 and 5 spot was a mild concern since there is very little room for error given injury or foul trouble

Reaction Score
That's because information came out that she is practicing with the forwards.....

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/forward-thinking-makes-williams-valuable/

here is another thread on it.....

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/williams-article.67069/
That's because information came out that she is practicing with the forwards.....

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/forward-thinking-makes-williams-valuable/

here is another thread on it.....

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/williams-article.67069/
thanks john..have been traveling and missed the earlier thread...great move for the team

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Re Williams - I suspect her post experience will be a one year thing for Uconn - with the reinforcements coming next year, she will probably spend more time practicing with guards in future years. It is a team need and a chance to expand both her game and her floor time this year.
And the college game is full of successful 5'11"- 6' forwards - Uconn has had a few (Barb Turner, J. Eliot, etc.) and Baylor's Nina Davis had a great freshman year. It gets a little harder to succeed as a pro.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Re Williams - I suspect her post experience will be a one year thing for Uconn - with the reinforcements coming next year, she will probably spend more time practicing with guards in future years. It is a team need and a chance to expand both her game and her floor time this year.
And the college game is full of successful 5'11"- 6' forwards - Uconn has had a few (Barb Turner, J. Eliot, etc.) and Baylor's Nina Davis had a great freshman year. It gets a little harder to succeed as a pro.

A player of that height can certainly succeed at the 4 if they are quick, can jump well, and can make shots around the rim, which Davis can. I haven't seen Williams yet but if she has those qualities there is no reason that she cannot play the 4. It gets a little more challenging if expected to play in the paint a lot as a 5.

The key to Davis's success is her footwork. She is very quick with her moves which allows her to create separation before the defender can react. She also has an uncanny ability to shoot from odd angles, so she is often shooting from an unexpected position.

Reaction Score
A player of that height can certainly succeed at the 4 if they are quick, can jump well, and can make shots around the rim, which Davis can. I haven't seen Williams yet but if she has those qualities there is no reason that she cannot play the 4. It gets a little more challenging if expected to play in the paint a lot as a 5.

The key to Davis's success is her footwork. She is very quick with her moves which allows her to create separation before the defender can react. She also has an uncanny ability to shoot from odd angles, so she is often shooting from an unexpected position.

It will be more difficult for Williams because Davis gets to compete in the Big 12 whereas Gabby will have to compete in the AAC.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it may be a one-year thing. Even if it is, though, it gives Gabby new skills and a versatility. She'll be able to post up pretty much any 2 guard in the country her last 3 years.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, umh ... back to Saniya. If she "claims her spot" she'll make this fella very happy and we can have endless debates about the 2 spot. An embarrassment of riches. We'll have a great 6th man, be it Saniya or Kia (and a 5A in Tuck in her forward role). A formidable bunch.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Did I not (sadly) note from Fuller's piece that Saniya had taken a step backward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom