Chip On Their Shoulder? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chip On Their Shoulder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
We should not talk until after they play DePaul. They have to win that game just to remain number two. If they don't, beating ND would send SC to number one, where they probably belong for now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hey look, I'm no kid, and I remember watching the old UCLA men play and remember Austin Carr's big night. Just saying that no way UCLA men in the same circumstance would be ranked #2 right now. Just the facts!

Magic, Sorry if I offended you. I have no way of knowing how old you are, or how high your BB IQ is. You asked: "Can someone explain to me how a team that has won 4 championships in a row, has a 4- 0 record, and an 80 game winning streak is ranked # 2 ?". I tried to answer your question the way it was asked. Not everyone here in the yard is a mature and savvy basketball fan. Some are new to the game, new to the yard, and are not up to speed with the lingo and verbiage we commonly use here.

If you had prefaced your question with: "I've been watching basketball for 50 years, and I don't understand..........", then I would have either used a different approach, or not answered your question at all, assuming it was rhetorical in nature.

When I took my first journalism class (to write for the school newspaper) back in junior high school, we where taught to write as if the reader did not have any knowledge about the subject of the article.

We were taught not to assume
. That's why when I write, I seldom use initials or abbreviations. We could not assume the reader knew what they stood for. We got dinged when we did. We were taught that after the reader reads your piece, they should know as much about the subject of the piece as you do.

All or most of their questions should be addressed and answered in the limited space your article was given, which wasn't much. Old habits die hard.

Being a born and raised in the Los Angeles area, I was a UCLA fan. USC (football - '62 &'67), the Dodgers ('63 & '65), and the basketball Bruins were the only teams in town winning championships in the 60's. I remember when UCLA won their first NC in 1964, led by Walt Hazzard and Gail Goodrich.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Speaking of spoiled...two weeks ago we get a verbal from the number one prospect in next year's class. Last week, a very talented five star "big" decides she wants to join the UConn traveling circus. And here it is, Tuesday already, and so far not one single new, all world player jumping on our bandwagon yet this week. What's up with that??:)

I have what I feel is a very simple answer to that question. UConn is going to be so talent laden over the next 4 years, most high profile (uncommitted) prospects may figure they can't/won't fit in here, or have to fight tooth and toe nail to get any playing time.

They'll prefer go to a program where they will almost be guaranteed to start their freshman year. As it is NOW (with players already on the roster , and those committed), playing time will be at a high premium the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
I have what I feel is a very simple answer to that question. UConn is going to be so talent laden over the next 4 years, most high profile (uncommitted) prospects may figure they can't/won't fit in here, or have to fight tooth and toe nail to get any playing time.

They'll prefer go to a program where they will almost be guaranteed to start their freshman year. As it is NOW (with players already on the roster , and those committed), playing time will be at a high premium the next couple of years.

You wrote: We were taught not to assume.

ISN'T THIS AN ASSUMPTION??????

Reaction Score
The pollsters, like many unbiased are looking for the #1 team to prove itself to be #1, that's why there's no hard feelings this early in the season as in just a week or so well have a #1 and #2 showdown. To the AP, if UCONN is to be number 1 then they shall beat ND at South Bend and then there's no denying them the spot. Until then, just as it was at the beginning (preseason) ND will stay there on top until another team proves otherwise in an actual game. Because of this early match up between ND and UCONN I don't think the AP is putting much stock into #1 rankings....they know come Dec. 7 there will be a real #1 and the rest will follow.
Can you imagine how South Carolina feels because there's even been mention here that they might have a legitimate claim as the best team in the country at this moment. What specifically has the Irish done to take that mantle this year???? I agree that to lose the three top draft picks in the WNBA draft and no longer be considered the best team in the country at the start of the season isn't necessarily outrageous. To implement hree new starters and having to figure out who the team leaders are and where the scoring and rebounding is going to come from would be concerns for a lot of prognosticators. What team wouldn't be considered less? On paper and so far on the court, why is it Notre Dame and not SC? They might have more of an argument for indignation.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Look I completely understand why you and most of the women's basketball world can't wait for the Huskies to lose. But I still think a team needs to be removed from pedestal by more than a hypothetical.

Magic, at the beginning of the season, I thought and rationalized exactly the way you do, and I expressed the same in a comment. After reading some of the responses, I began realized the error in my thinking. The knee jerk reaction is to assume that because you won the NC last year, you should be the preseason # 1 until you lose a game. That's one way of looking at it, and that's the way I saw it.

That's NOT how the voters or those that create the rankings see it. They don't use that kind of logic or criteria in forming their opinions. They look at the teams strength and weaknesses "on paper" (because no games have been played yet), and create their rankings. Since you're no kid, I know you are aware of all that I'm saying here.

The general consensus over the summer was that UConn lost the "core" of it's team last year, and would not be the same dominant team that it was last year. UConn had no returning All Americans on this team. Most felt that Notre Dame had the best/strongest/most dominant team THIS year, at least at the beginning, until some games were played, and the appropriate ranking adjustments could be made.

Reaction Score
First, polls mean nothing. Second - let's talk after they play ND and SC.
That's a long time not to talk because isn't it forever until we play South Carolina???? My mute button might be worn out by then.

Reaction Score
Magic, at the beginning of the season, I thought and rationalized exactly the way you do, and I expressed the same in a comment. After reading some of the responses, I began realized the error in my thinking. The knee jerk reaction is to assume that because you won the NC last year, you should be the preseason # 1 until you lose a game. That's one way of looking at it, and that's the way I saw it.

That's NOT how the voters or those that create the rankings see it. They don't use that kind of logic or criteria in forming their opinions. They look at the teams strength and weaknesses "on paper" (because no games have been played yet), and create their rankings. Since you're no kid, I know you are aware of all that I'm saying here.

The general consensus over the summer was that UConn lost the "core" of it's team last year, and would not be the same dominant team that it was last year. UConn had no returning All Americans on this team. Most felt that Notre Dame had the best/strongest/most dominant team THIS year, at least at the beginning, until some games were played, and the appropriate ranking adjustments could be made.
Exactly! Well said!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Can you imagine how South Carolina feels because there's even been mention here that they might have a legitimate claim as the best team in the country at this moment. What specifically has the Irish done to take that mantle this year???? I agree that to lose the three top draft picks in the WNBA draft and no longer be considered the best team in the country at the start of the season isn't necessarily outrageous. To implement hree new starters and having to figure out who the team leaders are and where the scoring and rebounding is going to come from would be concerns for a lot of prognosticators. What team wouldn't be considered less? On paper and so far on the court, why is it Notre Dame and not SC? They might have more of an argument for indignation.

Meh. I do see your point though. I think we beat Notre Dame head to head but I'm enjoying the pressure of not being number 1, right now at least. I don't think we're a program yet that can wear a crown so heavy for the entire season...

Carnac

Reaction Score
You wrote: We were taught not to assume.

ISN'T THIS AN ASSUMPTION??????

Broadway, I'm responding to Magic's response. Why are YOU trying to become involved in our discussion and critiquing my comments? Have you anointed yourself the boneyard police?
I was answering/responding HIS inquiry, not yours. 90% of the comments or posts I write, you respond to, why?

Broadway, you're not a mod. I don't answer to you. I don't criticize your posts. You seem to delight in criticizing others posts/comments even when they are not that far out of line or irrational, but rather when said comments don't conform to your thinking or rationale. You've made some comments to others recently that were very rude in nature, and I feel was unnecessary. You're acting like a troll, roaming the yard looking for whom you can devour.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Huskies should be building big chip on their shoulders. As a fan, I normally do not care very much about rankings in novenber , but..Can someone explain to me how a team that has won 4 championships in a row, has a 4- 0 record, and an 80 game winning streak is ranked # 2 ?
Do you think Syracuse, Oregon St and Washington should have been ranked #2, #3 and #4 at the beginning of the year?

Reaction Score
There's only one poll that matters, the one the AP doesn't even bother with. The one after the dance. That said, I wouldn't mind if they were ranked lower. It might give them some real incentive.

Reaction Score
Magic, Sorry if I offended you. I have no way of knowing how old you are, or how high your BB IQ is. You asked: "Can someone explain to me how a team that has won 4 championships in a row, has a 4- 0 record, and an 80 game winning streak is ranked # 2 ?". I tried to answer your question the way it was asked. Not everyone here in the yard is a mature and savvy basketball fan. Some are new to the game, new to the yard, and are not up to speed with the lingo and verbiage we commonly use here.

If you had prefaced your question with: "I've been watching basketball for 50 years, and I don't understand.....", then I would have either used a different approach, or not answered your question at all, assuming it was rhetorical in nature.

When I took my first journalism class (to write for the school newspaper) back in junior high school, we where taught to write as if the reader did not have any knowledge about the subject of the article.

. That's why when I write, I seldom use initials or abbreviations. We could not assume the reader knew what they stood for. We got dinged when we did. We were taught that after the reader reads your piece, they should know as much about the subject of the piece as you do.

All or most of their questions should be addressed and answered in the limited space your article was given, which wasn't much. Old habits die hard.

Being a born and raised in the Los Angeles area, I was a UCLA fan. USC (football - '62 &'67), the Dodgers ('63 & '65), and the basketball Bruins were the only teams in town winning championships in the 60's. I remember when UCLA won their first NC in 1964, led by Walt Hazzard and Gail Goodrich.
Carnac, there was absolutely no offense taken on my part, and enjoy reading your posts. I should have done a much better job of writing. I'm not a big social media person, and even though I read posts on a daily basis, I don't post very often. ☺

Reaction Score

If you had prefaced your question with: "I've been watching basketball for 50 years, and I don't understand.....", then I would have either used a different approach, or not answered your question at all, assuming it was rhetorical in nature.

we where taught to write as if the reader did not have any knowledge about the subject of the article.

I like your posting philosophy. There are way too many acronyms thrown about here. It makes following intent difficult for the many lurkers who are trying to get an education. I'm sure even the seasoned members get confused at times, particularly when other teams players are referred to by their initials. A complete answer is always clearer and there is no need for the experienced yarder to be insulted. Responses are for everyone to read and enjoy.

Regarding the 50 year followers. One never knows if the person has 50 years experience, or 1 year 50 times. There is a difference.:)

Reaction Score
Broadway, I'm responding to Magic's response. Why are YOU trying to become involved in our discussion and critiquing my comments? Have you anointed yourself the boneyard police?
I was answering/responding HIS inquiry, not yours. 90% of the comments or posts I write, you respond to, why?

Broadway, you're not a mod. I don't answer to you. I don't criticize your posts. You seem to delight in criticizing others posts/comments even when they are not that far out of line or irrational, but rather when said comments don't conform to your thinking or rationale. You've made some comments to others recently that were very rude in nature, and I feel was unnecessary. You're acting like a troll, roaming the yard looking for whom you can devour.

All posts are open to everyone--if you wish private conversations--use CONVERSATIONS.

In the boneyard---if you have an opinion on anyone's posting--you are allowed to respond---unless the rules have been changed.

My posting to your''s was a fair question based on your previous I learned to not assume!! Then you posted with an assumption
because none one knows about Uconn winning or losing for certain.

Enjoy your day, they are too short to be so up tight.

Reaction Score
Do you think Syracuse, Oregon St and Washington should have been ranked #2, #3 and #4 at the beginning of the year?
Well, this is week 4, and that is the difference. Besides, which of those teams are still unbeaten, and are reigning champs. I still have not seen anyone come up with another team that is a reigning champion and unbeaten that wasn't ranked #1. Maybe you can enlighten me with a team.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Well, this is week 4, and that is the difference. Besides, which of those teams are still unbeaten, and are reigning champs. I still have not seen anyone come up with another team that is a reigning champion and unbeaten that wasn't ranked #1. Maybe you can enlighten me with a team.
You left out, "and lost the top three WNBA draft choices." What was UConn ranked at the start of the 2002-03 season? ( After they lost four top players.)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What does reigning champion have to do with anything THIS year?

But to answer your question, Villanova. In fact they are ranked #2 also.

And maybe you can answer my question??

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Show me one other team that has won 4 straght championships , is 4-0, a win against #2 team and was ranked #2 !

THIS team has not won four straight championships. The UCONN program has won four straight, but this team has not. Voters are voting as if this is a new season, which it happens to be.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Look I completely understand why you and most of the women's basketball world can't wait for the Huskies to lose. But I still think a team needs to be removed from pedestal by more than a hypothetical.

I do not want UCONN to lose. UCONN going undefeated increases Baylor's chances of getting a number one seed and staying close to home for the entire tournament.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Turns out the chip may be riding on our shoulders?? Tough for us to adjust to a "shoulder" or "transition" year when we have been glorying in the most transcendent four years in WCBB. Still going to be a year most programs would die to have just once. Great fans here. Don't let the tensions engendered by our desires and fears divide us.

Reaction Score
Huskies should be building big chip on their shoulders. As a fan, I normally do not care very much about rankings in novenber , but..Can someone explain to me how a team that has won 4 championships in a row, has a 4- 0 record, and an 80 game winning streak is ranked # 2 ?
This team did not do any of those things (except for the undefeated record). Most of those accomplishments came when real superstars were on the roster. IMHO, UConn should be ranked 2 or 3 until they beat the other big guys. If they beat ND -- not at all a sure thing -- they we can talk about a top ranking.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Uconn, last year. The Sporting News had SC preseason number one and as you know Uconn was undefeated.

Reaction Score
THIS team has not won four straight championships. The UCONN program has won four straight, but this team has not. Voters are voting as if this is a new season, which it happens to be.
I rest my case . Just ain't worth the effort. Rather watch the game.☺

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog