Chip On Their Shoulder? | The Boneyard

Chip On Their Shoulder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Huskies should be building big chip on their shoulders. As a fan, I normally do not care very much about rankings in novenber , but.......Can someone explain to me how a team that has won 4 championships in a row, has a 4- 0 record, and an 80 game winning streak is ranked # 2 ?

Reaction Score
Yes, but, this is not the same team. This Team operated in the shadows of three superb All American players. Three are brand new, and two were former starters and five filled in. The weight of last year's team was not on them. Now, they feel the weight of the UConn program and they have something as a team to prove.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Huskies should be building big chip on their shoulders. As a fan, I normally do not care very much about rankings in novenber , but..Can someone explain to me how a team that has won 4 championships in a row, has a 4- 0 record, and an 80 game winning streak is ranked # 2 ?
There is nothing more dangerous than a talented team that has something to prove. Geno is surely loving the extra motivation. I suspect he reminds them at every opportunity that the pundits don't think they're big enough, deep enough or experienced enough.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me how a team that has won 4 championships in a row, has a 4- 0 record, and an 80 game winning streak is ranked # 2 ?

The pollsters, like many unbiased are looking for the #1 team to prove itself to be #1, that's why there's no hard feelings this early in the season as in just a week or so well have a #1 and #2 showdown. To the AP, if UCONN is to be number 1 then they shall beat ND at South Bend and then there's no denying them the spot. Until then, just as it was at the beginning (preseason) ND will stay there on top until another team proves otherwise in an actual game. Because of this early match up between ND and UCONN I don't think the AP is putting much stock into #1 rankings....they know come Dec. 7 there will be a real #1 and the rest will follow.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The #1 ranking is decided in games. ND is on the schedule. Should we beat them, and/or if we won the NCAA tourney (not holding my breath just yet), UConn will be #1. Until then, I just can't be concerned with how UConn is ranked now.

Reaction Score
You know you are spoiled when being ranked 2nd is such an insult.

You are once again correct!! I'm not much into polls but--at this point, just a gut feeling, I don't believe UConn is a true number 2 or number 1---I choose not to discuss where they really belong--but the middle of February--we'll all know where Uconn is rightly ranked.
You can be certain Geno has a number where this team belong right now. We have all read his words--without specifying a number.

Reaction Score
Spoiled? As in # 1: diminish the value of? or in #2 harm the character of?
past tense: spoiled; past participle: spoiled
  1. 1.
    diminish or destroy the value or quality of.
    "I wouldn't want to spoil your fun"

2. 2.
    harm the character of (a child) by being too lenient or indulgent.
    "the last thing I want to do is spoil Thomas
UConn fans, since 1995 (well actually at least as early as 1991, but that's another matter) have not been "spoiled." They have very deservedly and rightly celebrated and honored the greatest franchise in women's college basketball history. So let's just say UConn fans have the very highest expectations. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Huskies should be building big chip on their shoulders. As a fan, I normally do not care very much about rankings in Novenber , but..can someone explain to me how a team that has won 4 championships in a row, has a 4- 0 record, and an 80 game winning streak is ranked # 2 ?

Hi Magic, let me try..................
The rankings that you're inquiring about are for THIS year's team. Last year's team ended the season ranked # 1, and recognized as the National Champion by all of WCBB.
This year's team has a 4 game win streak, not 79. THIS year's team has not won anything other than those 4 games. Notre Dame is ranked #1 by whoever the author of that ranking is because whoever did the ranking feels that Notre Dame is a better team that UConn at this time. If UConn beats Note Dame next week, UConn will move up 1 spot , and be recognized as the #1 team nationally.
Different people (AP, coach's poll, ESPN, USA Today, etc) produce their own rankings based on their judgement and the results of their "eye tests". UConn is the defending national champion.
That does not mean they must be (or deserved to be) ranked #1. They will retain that destinction until a new winner is crowned at this year's final four championship game (Dallas Texas) in April 2017.

Rankings at this time of year really don't mean anything to the coaches, only the fans. For those of us who are of that persuasion, those rankings give us bragging rights, nothing else.
Rankings are only important at the end of the season, when they are used to determine invitations and seedings for the NCAA tournament. Right now, having a high or low ranking, is not going to make a team play any better, or any worse. I hope this helps. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've never been so insulted in all my life.

Ya think I need to get out more???

I guess you could say that "success breeds contempt"? Becoming "spoiled" (and we are) is a side effect of being a UConn women's basketball fan during the Geno Auriemma era. :oops:

Reaction Score
There is nothing more dangerous than a talented team that has something to prove. Geno is surely loving the extra motivation. I suspect he reminds them at every opportunity that the pundits don't think they're big enough, deep enough or experienced enough.

They aren't big, deep, or experienced enough. But then the bumble-bee is aerodynamically unable to fly . . .

Reaction Score
Not only are we spoiled, but we have the spoils :) .
images

Reaction Score
Speaking of spoiled...two weeks ago we get a verbal from the number one prospect in next year's class. Last week, a very talented five star "big" decides she wants to join the UConn traveling circus. And here it is, Tuesday already, and so far not one single new, all world player jumping on our bandwagon yet this week. What's up with that??:)

Reaction Score
Hi Magic, let me try...
The rankings that you're inquiring about are for THIS year's team. Last year's team ended the season ranked # 1, and recognized as the National Champion by all of WCBB.
This year's team has a 4 game win streak, not 79. THIS year's team has not won anything other than those 4 games. Notre Dame is ranked #1 by whoever the author of that ranking is because whoever did the ranking feels that Notre Dame is a better team that UConn at this time. If UConn beats Note Dame next week, UConn will move up 1 spot , and be recognized as the #1 team nationally.
Different people (AP, coach's poll, ESPN, USA Today, etc) produce their own rankings based on their judgement and the results of their "eye tests". UConn is the defending national champion.
That does not mean they must be (or deserved to be) ranked #1. They will retain that destinction until a new winner is crowned at this year's final four championship game (Dallas Texas) in April 2017.

Rankings at this time of year really don't mean anything to the coaches, only the fans. For those of us who are of that persuasion, those rankings give us bragging rights, nothing else.
Rankings are only important at the end of the season, when they are used to determine invitations and seedings for the NCAA tournament. Right now, having a high or low ranking, is not going to make a team play any better, or any worse. I hope this helps. :)
Hey look, I'm no kid, and I remember watching the old UCLA men play and remember Austin Carr's big night. Just saying that no way UCLA men in the same circumstance would be ranked #2 right now. Just the facts!

Reaction Score
Not sure about the players.... but some of the BY posters sure seem to chips on their shoulders :cool:

:);):p:D:rolleyes:
Look I completely understand why you and most of the women's basketball world can't wait for the Huskies to lose. But I still think a team needs to be removed from pedestal by more than a hypothetical.

Reaction Score
Show me one other team that has won 4 straght championships , is 4-0, a win against #2 team and was ranked #2 !

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Look I completely understand why you and most of the women's basketball world can't wait for the Huskies to lose. But I still think a team needs to be removed from pedestal by more than a hypothetical.

why do you say that I can't wait for UCONN to lose? Why are you grouping me with most of the WCBB world ? :confused:

Reaction Score
Not sure about the players.... but some of the BY posters sure seem to chips on their shoulders :cool:

:);):p:D:rolleyes:
I have no idea of that which you speak, but I will say this.....................

I had a doctor's visit today.

I said.......Hey Doc, ya gotta' help me. I've been having trouble making friends lately, you dirty #%$@*&%^!!!!

UCONN'S current ranking was the eventual diagnosis.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Spoiled? As in # 1: diminish the value of? or in #2 harm the character of?
past tense: spoiled; past participle: spoiled
  1. 1.
    diminish or destroy the value or quality of.
    "I wouldn't want to spoil your fun"

2. 2.
    harm the character of (a child) by being too lenient or indulgent.
    "the last thing I want to do is spoil Thomas
UConn fans, since 1995 (well actually at least as early as 1991, but that's another matter) have not been "spoiled." They have very deservedly and rightly celebrated and honored the greatest franchise in women's college basketball history. So let's just say UConn fans have the very highest expectations. :)
OMG, Kibitzer has taken over your identity! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom