Chip Malafronte's Sunday Gravy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chip Malafronte's Sunday Gravy

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We need to have some faith. Did you and others forget what just left here FHCPP and his side kick.
He left UCONN in shambles and it will take time to turn it around.

I will put this as clearly and slowly as possible for you:

Yes it will take years to fix the PP mess. That does not excuse bizarre decisions and bizarre statements.

I don't deal in blind faith. If you want me to have faith I need actual evidence.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While Diaco has made some decisions that I do not agree with, I can understand the thought process all of them and it can be argued that each was for the long term benefit of the program. That I may not agree is meaningless as he is the guy who has the authority to make these decisions and ultimately his job will depend on results of those decisions.

You did make the statement that it is a pointless argument because for every coach like JC there are 20 that didn't work out. I don't know if he will become a football version of JC, merely a good but not hall of fame caliper successful head coach or one of the twenty that don't work out. I do know that there is little reason whine about how bad the team is at the moment and nothing to gain by criticizing coaching decisions. I am not going by blind faith, I am going by what I see and the first decision I did not like on Friday was the pass play after DeLorenzo's big run on our first play from scrimmage. I felt that after that we should have continued to run until they showed us they could stop it. Instead we had a grounding penalty, which put us in a bind and led to the turnover. What the pass attempt on play two of the game told me was that the decision to run the ball ninety odd percent of the time didn't come until the staff realized things could spin out of control if they tried to pass too much.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While Diaco has made some decisions that I do not agree with, I can understand the thought process all of them and it can be argued that each was for the long term benefit of the program. That I may not agree is meaningless as he is the guy who has the authority to make these decisions and ultimately his job will depend on results of those decisions.

You did make the statement that it is a pointless argument because for every coach like JC there are 20 that didn't work out. I don't know if he will become a football version of JC, merely a good but not hall of fame caliper successful head coach or one of the twenty that don't work out. I do know that there is little reason whine about how bad the team is at the moment and nothing to gain by criticizing coaching decisions. I am not going by blind faith, I am going by what I see and the first decision I did not like on Friday was the pass play after DeLorenzo's big run on our first play from scrimmage. I felt that after that we should have continued to run until they showed us they could stop it. Instead we had a grounding penalty, which put us in a bind and led to the turnover. What the pass attempt on play two of the game told me was that the decision to run the ball ninety odd percent of the time didn't come until the staff realized things could spin out of control if they tried to pass too much.

Arguing that there is nothing to be gained from criticizing decisions is legitimate.

But if you are going to treat the season as live scrimmages (Chip M's term), then what else is there to talk about?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Arguing that there is nothing to be gained from criticizing decisions is legitimate.

It's one thing to be critical. But to go Defcon 1 after just four games with tons of repetitive, negative posts filled with loaded words like "bizarre" and "insane" is another. The fact is a good game against Temple renders all of this criticism moot. Diaco has a plan, it may be unorthodox to some, but it's too early to give up on it. I'm gonna give it the season and go from there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's one thing to be critical. But to go Defcon 1 after just four games with tons of repetitive, negative posts filled with loaded words like "bizarre" and "insane" is another. The fact is a good game against Temple renders all of this criticism moot. Diaco has a plan, it may be unorthodox to some, but it's too early to give up on it. I'm gonna give it the season and go from there.

Sorry those are the words I use to describe some of the decisions.

Hopefully in 3-4 weeks you are all taunting me.

Reaction Score

I reposted an article about rebuilding a program that another member posted. I got ripped for it by pointing out how it doesn't happen over night, sometimes it gets worse before it gets better and Wing U-conn ripped me for it, which I felt was uncalled for because he took offense to comments that I made to others, other than himself who have been impatient and complaining incessantly so far this season. I referenced the rebuild at Kansas State and Diaco at Uconn was listed in the same article/story. Very good read if you ask me.

Reaction Score
I like the Hoosiers comparison, hopefully we are on that same path. We hope to have a Jimmy Chitwood, his name is Tim Boyle.

lMAO. It doesn't take a cinema arts major to know that the point of Hoosiers is to show that the people criticizing a coach don't have enough knowledge to really do it intelligently. Criticizing a play call is fine, if somewhat silly since it only happens in hindsight. But thinking you know what the coach is accomplishing or trying to accomplish after one third of one season is dumb.

Reaction Score
The only thing that really matters at this point, is how both this coach, and his team, evaluate what happened, respond to it, learn from it, and correct it, when they take the field next Saturday against Temple.

These are the times that test character, and moreso, your ability to get a job done.

Reaction Score
I think it will be interesting to watch the seniors (most of all) to see if there is any discontent within the ranks if there are some more games, play calling wise) like the last one. I read yesterday that someone was sitting a row behind the bench and stated that there were rumblings of dissatisfaction on how the game was being called among the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom