OT: - Chinese Food | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Chinese Food

Reaction Score
Visited China last month. Sea cucumber is awful as is abalone. But dumplings of all kinds are way better than Americanized Chinese food, even in Auburn.
I was there a while back. Yes the dumpling are great but their food in general was terrible.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can someone please explain what dim sum is?

Reaction Score
Had never thought I'd see Meeking Duck ...
Hah, an intentional pun during the Auburn loss ... current coached team enduring injury ... deficient in spirit ... easily imposed on ... submissive

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain what dim sum is?
First, skip any of the restaurants referenced above. Go to Flushing.

To inadequately answer your question, 1st, dim sum is Guandongese (Cantonese). In Mandarin, dian xin. It references the style of ordering, serving from carts, tapas-like portions typically served during morning to early afternoon hours on small plates or in small steam baskets. 2nd, consider primarily Guangdong-regional (Cantonese including HKese) foods including a broader array of what most westerners unknowingly reference as dumplings, seafood, pork and veggie buns, baked desserts, throw in some chicken feet, etc. Unfortunately, it's easier to see and know than to try to define, explain, e.g., as demonstrated by my weak effort, or find decent quality of in CT.

dimsum.jpg.jpg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That did it. Great explanation. Thanks.

As to “Flushing” - yeah, there’s usually a lot of flushing involved when I eat Chinese.

To inadequately answer your question, 1st, dim sum is Guandongese (Cantonese). In Mandarin, dian xin. It references the style of ordering, serving from carts, tapas-like portions typically served during morning to early afternoon hours on small plates or in small steam baskets. 2nd, consider primarily Guangdong-regional (Cantonese including HKese) foods including a broader array of what most westerners unknowingly reference as dumplings, seafood, pork and veggie buns, baked desserts, throw in some chicken feet, etc. Unfortunately, it's easier to see and know than to try to define, explain, e.g., as demonstrated by my weak effort, or find decent quality of in CT.

dimsum.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score

dimsum.jpg.jpg
This reply, and most importantly this picture, is spectacular. And it 2 a.m. and I'm hungry.

Reaction Score
Sichuan Pepper in Vernon (same plaza as Reins Deli) is where Chinese people I know eat. The claim it is the most authentic. Although when I went with them, I am not sure what they ordered was on the menu.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom