World Cup Group Phase
[#17 Senegal/#10 China/#26 Latvia]
Tenerife, Spain - 1:00 PM ET
TV: None

Video [ESPN+ ($4.99/mo - 7 day free trial)]:
ESPN+ Stream Live Sports

Home | livebasketball.tv

Live stats:
China v USA boxscore - FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2018 - 23 September - FIBA.basketball

Team USA Roster
Sue Bird #6 (Seattle Storm)
Tina Charles #14 (New York Liberty)
Layshia Clarendon #7 (Connecticut Sun)
Elena Delle Donne #11 (Washington Mystics)
Brittney Griner #15 (Phoenix Mercury)
Jewell Loyd #4 (Seattle Storm)
Nneka Ogwumike #13 (Los Angeles Sparks)
Kelsey Plum #5 (Las Vegas Aces)
Breanna Stewart #10 (Seattle Storm)
Diana Taurasi #12 (Phoenix Mercury)
Morgan Tuck #8 (Connecticut Sun)
A’ja Wilson #9 (Las Vegas Aces)

Team China Roster
Liwei YANG #3 PG
Yuan LI #4 G
Siyu WANG #5 G
Ting SHAO #7 SF
Xuemeng WANG #8 F
Meng LI #9 SG
Xueya MA #10 PF
Sijing HUANG #11 PF
Jiacen LIU #12 C
Mengran SUN #13 C
Yueru LI #14 C
Xu HAN #15 C

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US 25 China 20 after 1Q. Tina Charles having the best game so far. Stewie was lost of Defense a few times. China playing with no fear. Their center is very skilled

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As with the game against Senegal this team so far is having issues on defense and offense.

Their defensive intensity has been lacking. On defense the guards are having problems denying penetration and the forwards are getting beat off the dribble. On offense their hi/lo offense is predictable and forced. The US guards aren't shooting well enough, and the the US's spacing on the offensive end is only fair. Surprisingly the US's forwards haven't been as dominating as anticipated. Because of the teams minimal playing time together I anticipated a certain lack of cohesiveness on offense, but their defensive woes are surprising.

A lot of these problems could be ameliorated with a bit more communication on defense and the guards hitting their shots on offense. In other words, if Bird starts playing like a champion and DT plays more like the GOAT it'll open things up on the block for the forwards. And Griner would help too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Tuck played well on defense in 2Q and helped stabilize (with Aja) china's bull rush drives to the basket.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It really was a close game. Even 3rd quarter, and the others team USA won by 3-4 points each. Not a good sign given that China is a middle of the road team in this tourney (about #10 in the world). Then again, #3 France needed everything they could muster to beat #20 Greece... and #2 Spain is up only 1 point at half time vs. #22 Puerto Rico...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Plum was particularly ineffective on both sides of the ball. That surprises me since she has been playing so well during the trials.

No one was really disrupting their guards and help defense was non existent. Also, we do not have a ball hawk on defense. I thought Jewell might fill that role but not really the case.

Probably, Australia is our toughest competition.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I am seeing with this USA team is a serious lack of communication on defense - no one taking charge and organizing them. And a serious lack of weak-side defense. Hopefully they can get that figured out. Agree that they do not have ball hawks - Angel in particular but also Maya were always lurking in the passing lanes.

I also think Dawn is being really careful with BG and EDD as well as being careful with minutes for Sue and DT. Makes sense given this two games in two days situation. They now have a day off, a game and then two days off before the weekend medal games.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I know stats don't necessarily tell you the story of a game, but it looks like the U.S. got very little out of all 3 PGs. Maybe Clarendon had the most statistically productive game.

The box score format is really weird in the posted link. I've never, ever seen it like that anywhere before. Has overall FG/FGA, then 2 point FG/FGA and 3 point FG/FGA. It's confusing.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know stats don't necessarily tell you the story of a game, but it looks like the U.S. got very little out of all 3 PGs. Maybe Clarendon had the most statistically productive game.

The box score format is really weird in the posted link. I've never, ever seen it like that anywhere before. Has overall FG/FGA, then 2 point FG/FGA and 3 point FG/FGA. It's confusing.

Welcome to Int'l play. I always get twisted up interpreting too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Article describing Stewie's dominance in the second half.

Stewart leads U.S. to World Cup win over China

The Chinese team hung around in the third quarter and trailed 60-54 before Stewart, who played in China the past few winters, took over. She scored nine of the next 11 points and China couldn't get within seven the rest of the way.

"She was trailing a lot, and obviously the defense sucked down. The post players did a great job rim running,'' U.S. coach Dawn Staley said. "That left Stewie wide open at the top of key and she took advantage of them time and again. That's what we come to expect, Stewie like things. We needed her to be that way to give us some separation and widen our lead in the third quarter.'' :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Han is 18 year old. I assume she is playing as a pro. If not, someone needs to offer her a college degree in Storrs.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Article describing Stewie's dominance in the second half.

Stewart leads U.S. to World Cup win over China

The Chinese team hung around in the third quarter and trailed 60-54 before Stewart, who played in China the past few winters, took over. She scored nine of the next 11 points and China couldn't get within seven the rest of the way.

"She was trailing a lot, and obviously the defense sucked down. The post players did a great job rim running,'' U.S. coach Dawn Staley said. "That left Stewie wide open at the top of key and she took advantage of them time and again. That's what we come to expect, Stewie like things. We needed her to be that way to give us some separation and widen our lead in the third quarter.'' :D

You been Stewied!

Reaction Score
I think Han is 18 year old. I assume she is playing as a pro. If not, someone needs to offer her a college degree in Storrs.

I think I’d keep an eye on her for the rest of the tournament before I got too excited. She’ll be eligible for the next WNBA draft, but the player that starts ahead of her is supposed to be the promising prospect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom