Chillious recruiting connections | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Chillious recruiting connections

Reaction Score
NIT doesn't matter. I compared UConn to Villanova over 7. Regardless, you even count the year UConn was banned as a mark against them. Ridiculous.

And, for the record, I never said UConn has been better than Villanova the last 3 years. I only said the detractors like yourself always cherrypick dates. You can go back 7 years and UConn's ahead.

As for Jay Wright, he did great in that one year. Normally, he goes out first weekend. Just like last year. This is his MO. Even with high seeds, he departs the NCAAs early.

No matter how you slice it, Villanova has been the better overall program since Kevin Ollie became UConn's head coach. If you even attempt to argue otherwise, you will look more foolish than you already do. Nova makes the tournament regularly, something we hope will become the norm again for UConn.

Reaction Score
No matter how you slice it, Villanova has been the better overall program since Kevin Ollie became UConn's head coach. If you even attempt to argue otherwise, you will look more foolish than you already do. Nova makes the tournament regularly, something we hope will become the norm again for UConn.

I hope we don't become Nova.

Early exits repeatedly will absolutely kill me.

Still, next time throw 2014 into your calculator.

Reaction Score
I just don't see how a title in 2014 has any bearing or impact in the 2017-18 season. This is college athletics, each season is independent of the success of the previous ones, especially when it was 4 years ago and the entire roster has turned over. You keep bringing up 2014, but you aren't really saying how that is going to help get us out of the current ditch we are in, and the tide is coming in fast.

A recent title helps when you have a coaching staff that can sell it and compound that success. Unfortunately we don't have that with Ollie at the moment. If you disagree, please show me how UConn capitalized on the 2014 title going forward? A program of that caliber "that just won a title in 2014" wouldn't lose players to transfers the way we did. Entire freshman classes and starting centers don't just hit the road like that, I mean, why didn't anyone sit them down and remind them about 2014?

I am sitting here trying to think of reasons that support the statement "we aren't struggling and underperforming because we won a title in 2014", and I really can't come up with anything of substance to back it up, because it's nothing more than nostalgic fan hoorahs.

We're comparing the past.

C

Chief00

Obviously, there are many differences between Jim and Kevin. As far as recruiting, Jim had a process and had staff meetings focused on recruiting - everyone was held accountable and there were backup plans that were warm on the burner and the heat just needed to be turned up when the higher priority guy fell through.
I think a big difference is Jim always was refining the narrative that had other schools on their heels. Play against the best in the Big East before we were the best. Then it was about UConn winning NC's. We were Wing-U, then Bigs and then PGs. He hated the Yankees but somehow we become MSG and NYC's school. He got you to the league so you would take his crap. And throw in the Beltway Ballers and pay them $25k just to piss off Gary Williams and thank you Rudy Guy. It became playing for a HOF coach, that was why Andre went to UConn - not all this he always wanted to go to State U BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I just don't see how a title in 2014 has any bearing or impact in the 2017-18 season. This is college athletics, each season is independent of the success of the previous ones, especially when it was 4 years ago and the entire roster has turned over. You keep bringing up 2014, but you aren't really saying how that is going to help get us out of the current ditch we are in, and the tide is coming in fast.

A recent title helps when you have a coaching staff that can sell it and compound that success. Unfortunately we don't have that with Ollie at the moment. If you disagree, please show me how UConn capitalized on the 2014 title going forward? A program of that caliber "that just won a title in 2014" wouldn't lose players to transfers the way we did. Entire freshman classes and starting centers don't just hit the road like that, I mean, why didn't anyone sit them down and remind them about 2014?

I am sitting here trying to think of reasons that support the statement "we aren't struggling and underperforming because we won a title in 2014", and I really can't come up with anything of substance to back it up, because it's nothing more than nostalgic fan hoorahs.

Fantastic post. 100% on point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Obviously, there are many differences between Jim and Kevin. As far as recruiting, Jim had a process and had staff meetings focused on recruiting - everyone was held accountable and there were backup plans that were warm on the burner and the heat just needed to be turned up when the higher priority guy fell through.
I think a big difference is Jim always was refining the narrative that had other schools on their heels. Play against the best in the Big East before we were the best. Then it was about UConn winning NC's. We were Wing-U, then Bigs and then PGs. He hated the Yankees but somehow we become MSG and NYC's school. He got you to the league so you would take his crap. And throw in the Beltway Ballers and pay them $25k just to piss off Gary Williams and thank you Rudy Guy. It became playing for a HOF coach, that was why Andre went to UConn - not all this he always wanted to go to State U BS.

Unfortunately, everyone of those things is impossible to replicate in our current situation, KO as coach or no. What can the narrative possibly be at this stage?

I'm hoping Chillious is able to change it somehow. Unfortunately, these things take a certain amount of time to be rewritten. You don't step in day 1 and change everybody's' opinions. Unless you are maybe Cal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom