Chillious recruiting connections | The Boneyard

Chillious recruiting connections

Reaction Score
With Isaiah Thomas and Markelle Fultz playing right up the road in Boston we have two major success stories for Chillious to point to and tell recruits I'm the guy who recognized their talent and I'm the guy who cultivated that talent when others weren't seeing it. One of them is now a close to 30 ppg scorer in the NBA and the other is the #1 draft pick. Chillious is extremely close with both guys and it's fortuitous having them living and playing 1.5 hours away from campus.

Reaction Score
With Isaiah Thomas and Markelle Fultz playing right up the road in Boston we have two major success stories for Chillious to point to and tell recruits I'm the guy who recognized their talent and I'm the guy who cultivated that talent when others weren't seeing it. One of them is now a close to 30 ppg scorer in the NBA and the other is the #1 draft pick. Chillious is extremely close with both guys and it's fortuitous having them living and playing 1.5 hours away from campus.
Jalen Carey should be hearing the name Markelle Fultz every single day and twice on Sundays

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Isn't Adams working out with Isaiah this summer?

Reaction Score
Absolutely the right way to sway the conversation. We can't control the conferences (although other teams will use against us), but we can control the relationships.

Reaction Score
I'm glad Chill is here & his connections help but as others have pointed out recruiting top kids to the AAC is a challenge....the AAC is below the P5 & BE and on par with the A-10 in a good year.

It will continue to be the major obstacle in recruiting, we can & should be able to get a stud PG every couple years & hope that KO & Chill can work some magic with the rest of the roster.

UConn is an island, a tropical paradise stuck in the Antarctic when it belongs in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm glad Chill is here & his connections help but as others have pointed out recruiting top kids to the AAC is a challenge....the AAC is below the P5 & BE and on par with the A-10 in a good year.

It will continue to be the major obstacle in recruiting, we can & should be able to get a stud PG every couple years & hope that KO & Chill can work some magic with the rest of the roster.

UConn is an island, a tropical paradise stuck in the Antarctic when it belongs in the Caribbean.
I've been beating the basketball drum of the AAC for five years.
It was deliberately ignored in a mindless pursuit of a P6 football consortium
The conference won NC in its first two years maybe the conference leaders made the assumption, It was a given.
Allowing ECU as a full member when Louisville left was the first nail
The conference had cards to play but just didn't care about basketball as it was a nothing sport.
Could we make it a regional conference ,that's just stupid
The question is what steps could have been taken to make this the best possible basketball conference it could be.
The AAC not only struck out it struck out looking.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

With Wichita St and if UConn gets things back to normal, the AAC is a solid 4-6 bid league in a given year. That's above the A-10.

Reaction Score

Being in this conference is certainly far from ideal but I think it's a bit overhyped as an obstacle. We will still be on TV all the time and have a good schedule with plenty of marquee opponents. Ollie was recruiting very well out of here when he was the one doing the lions share of the recruiting. Being a Nike school and Chillious' major Nike and AAU connections should help us turn around this year long rut fairly quickly. We have major connections we need to be pushing constantly, I trust the staff will and that they will be grinding harder than ever.

Reaction Score
I found a map of Chilli's recruiting connections in the US
usa_map_connections.jpg

Reaction Score
Our conference is the biggest hurdle in recruiting. I miss the days going to Cuse,Pitt and ND. Now we are left w Memphis and Temple , Cincy as the biggest games. Not to mention no more MSG tournament.No thanks. I don't blame kids looking elsewhere and it's an uphill battle for Ollie.

Reaction Score
Yeah im tired of people complaining about the AAC when we're the biggest problem with the conferences perception right now.

Its getting ridiculous as an excuse.

And logically, it doesn't even make any sense. Blaming the conference would make sense if we were dominating the conference but losing regularly to teams from superior conferences.

Except were constantly losing to teams in this same exact conference and finishing in the middle of the pack, behind teams IN THE SAME CONFERENCE.

So how can it possibly be that the conference is to blame when we are being beat by teams that face the exact same limitations from this conference? It literally makes zero sense.

Reaction Score
Our conference is the biggest hurdle in recruiting. I miss the days going to Cuse,Pitt and ND. Now we are left w Memphis and Temple , Cincy as the biggest games. Not to mention no more MSG tournament.No thanks. I don't blame kids looking elsewhere and it's an uphill battle for Ollie.
Though the conference has hurt how recruits view us it definitely doesn't help that we aren't winning games in the conference. I don't see the conference hurting SMU's and Cincy's recruiting.

Reaction Score
That is true we need to play our part but those programs were never at our level. We used to have NBA caliber players on the team every year.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

UConn has had 7 4 star recruits in the last 3 years and has finished 6th, 6th and 6th in the AAC the last 3 years. How are 5 other schools out recruiting UConn in conference? FYI - all 5 aren't.

And yet Gonzaga has 4 4 star recruits in the last 3 years playing in the mighty WCC and a deep NCAA 2 out of the last 3 years.

Recruiting doesn't seem to be an issue at all except this year.

Reaction Score
UConn has had 7 4 star recruits in the last 3 years and has finished 6th, 6th and 6th in the AAC the last 3 years. How are 5 other schools out recruiting UConn in conference? FYI - all 5 aren't.

And yet Gonzaga has 4 4 star recruits in the last 3 years playing in the mighty WCC and a deep NCAA 2 out of the last 3 years.

Recruiting doesn't seem to be an issue at all except this year.
You either need great coaching (Gonzaga, Whichita State) or great recruiting (Kansas, Kentucky, UNC and a who gaggle of other teams) or both (Duke) to win. Seven 4* recruits (some of which we lost) is not great recruiting but, if the coaching was great, would be good enough.

Reaction Score
Guy is already making a big difference, and is very connected in the AAU world. @superjohn...I'm being told he is already pushing this big time.
By what logic? What players has he brought in that lead you to conclude he has made a big difference? On the contrary, how many players were available this summer that he either recruited previously or coached previously or both that didn't come here? Make a list of the two groups and compare them. I don't see the beef....

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The conference hurts recruiting, nobody should be able to deny that with a straight face. But our incompetence is probably hurting us more. Ollie and Chillious have a lot to overcome after last year.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Please no more the AAC is one of a number of reasons our recruiting is down but it isn't the major obstacle. Geno does fine in the AAC

pj

Reaction Score
By what logic? What players has he brought in that lead you to conclude he has made a big difference? On the contrary, how many players were available this summer that he either recruited previously or coached previously or both that didn't come here? Make a list of the two groups and compare them. I don't see the beef....

Just being able to fill the roster with high-major players (not stiffs) this late in the recruiting season is a major accomplishment.

We'll need a year or two to tell whether he can bring in stars. But there's no reason to think he won't given that he got a few to Washington.

Reaction Score
Just being able to fill the roster with high-major players (not stiffs) this late in the recruiting season is a major accomplishment.

We'll need a year or two to tell whether he can bring in stars. But there's no reason to think he won't given that he got a few to Washington.
What high major players? I guess this depends on how you define "high major". And he failed to get a couple of those same Washington kids to come to UConn when they decided Washington was not for them any more.

Reaction Score
Though the conference has hurt how recruits view us it definitely doesn't help that we aren't winning games in the conference. I don't see the conference hurting SMU's and Cincy's recruiting.

SMU and Cincy aren't really recruiting at a high level. They are not grabbing many top 100s. Which maybe explains why neither team ever advances past the first weekend.

Look at the recruiting rankings.

Plus, Cincy has really only had it over UConn last year. One year. The other 3 years, UConn has had better seasons.

Reaction Score
Please no more the AAC is one of a number of reasons our recruiting is down but it isn't the major obstacle. Geno does fine in the AAC
Different sport and you better hope we are not in this mid major conference when he retires.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom