Chief's Briefs | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

IMG_0197.JPG
I am not big on who starts but I get asked that all the time - Here's who I think KO will start in game one:
Brimah
Adams
Larrier
Gilbert
Purvis

Gilbert is really good pushing the ball with Larrier filling the lanes - KO loves that as does JC. I still think Gilbert needs to put in all kinds of extra time shooting the ball. His shot needs a lot of work and will limit him against elite D1 teams. Gilbert plays defense but needs to focus more at keeping the dribbler between his knees. I think his defensive flaws are mainly correctable technique - since he runs well and jumps incredibly for his height.

Larrier is legit. Love the way he runs the court and dunks and he can step back and knock down shots - the key will be how consistently can he do it?

Purvis - he's a kid who has grown on me - made a very unselfish pass to Larrier when he could have dunked himself. I think he weighs less this year but is more muscular and tapered. He has improved every year - which shows he takes coaching well and works hard. Seems like a good teammate.

Adams - had a good game - he can be as good as he wants to be - I really believe that. He moves seamlessly from 2 guard to point and then to combo.

Enoch - I liked his left hand jump hook - he can get and hold position - to make that a go to shot. It won't be easy to block. Brimah and Facey also made jump hooks - I always felt that it's a very effective and unappreciated shot since it's really hard to defend if the offensive guy gets position. KO was all business today and got on Steve for not clearing the defender after a rebound with his elbow and forearms. Still think he needs work on outlet pass now that we have 2 PGs who want to run. He defended the pick and roll better today than last game.

Durham - I would lean toward redshirting - get him stronger and give him time to build up confidence in his knees. With Brimah and Facey graduating it would work well with the calendar. I am just stating my opinion, KO has not indicated this at all in any way. Maybe just the opposite.

Brimah - What did KO say to him at the half? - came out a different player and dominated. He needs to do that from the opening gun against good teams since Coach Miller likes to post Brimah on the first few possessions. Who will replace DHam's feeds? My guess Adams.

Jackson - although he made one late shot off the dribble - I think he is most effective just finding the three point line - getting his feet ready and just shooting it. I also think he will be a defensive liability early in season. I like to see him moving more without the ball - wouldn't be surprise when he is in game if we go to a zone on defense.

Diarra did not play. Facey continues to improve and is stronger this year.

Got a good laugh out of some guy going up to JC while he's seated at the courtside table kept putting his arms on JC's back - he doesn't like to be touched like that and it annoyed him greatly. Coach was in a green sweater. Looked pretty intense viewing the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
This could be a big year for Purvis. I didn't watch the game, but the highlights appeared to show that he finished around the rim. He could be a big leader, a poor man's Kemba. This is his team now.

C

Chief00

Purvis is fast but I don't see him breaking down a defender in the half court like Kemba.

Reaction Score
Chief, thanks, nice piece of writing. Not sure Durham cam here expecting to redshirt, but we're so deep that it might happen depending on how his recovery is coming along.

C

Chief00

Chief, thanks, nice piece of writing. Not sure Durham cam here expecting to redshirt, but we're so deep that it might happen depending on how his recovery is coming along.

I hear you, all kids want to play as do their parents want them to play. Due to his two ACLs and slender built - rehab, weights and competitive practice might be a productive way to spend this season but I agree probably won't happen.

Reaction Score
Chief, you suggest KO is not thinking Redshirt for Durham...which is good. I have really liked what I've seen. He looks active to me. More active than Durham and enoch and brimah. I think he may cut into their minutes.

Reaction Score
Chief, you suggest KO is not thinking Redshirt for Durham...which is good. I have really liked what I've seen. He looks active to me. More active than Durham and enoch and brimah. I think he may cut into their minutes.

Without redshirting the young man, you can slowly get his confidence, game back by using him in spots. Doubt he will see large minutes early at all but he hasn't played competitively in 2 years basically another year may be really difficult for him to deal with. I am sure he will be more than patient about his minutes being in the physical position he is in anyway so why not use him when needed, by years end you could have a stud "back"!

C

Chief00

Without redshirting the young man, you can slowly get his confidence, game back by using him in spots. Doubt he will see large minutes early at all but he hasn't played competitively in 2 years basically another year may be really difficult for him to deal with. I am sure he will be more than patient about his minutes being in the physical position he is in anyway so why not use him when needed, by years end you could have a stud "back"!

Good points - I will be a minority opinion on this, I think. My view is based on the depth this year, his need to built strength and my gut eyeball test that he doesn't 100% trust his knees yet. I understand, you can make arguments both ways on how best to built that trust - playing games or redshirting with competitive practice.

Reaction Score
Purvis is fast but I don't see him breaking down a defender in the half court like Kemba.

I was by no means paralleling level of play, but entirely eluding to leadership. Purvis is no Kemba.

C

Chief00

I was by no means paralleling level of play, but entirely eluding to leadership. Purvis is no Kemba.

Ok - I think Purvis is well liked by his teammates. Who is the player leader? I am not sure - so many new players - departure of Hamilton. Usually, leadership comes from a PG or superstar - we will see?

Reaction Score
Ok - I think Purvis is well liked by his teammates. Who is the player leader? I am not sure - so many new players - departure of Hamilton. Usually, leadership comes from a PG or superstar - we will see?

Out of those with experience Brimah is probably the hype and "pushing the team" leader, but lacking in the scoring realm. I think Purvis will be the man if he's hitting threes, finishing at the rim, not stepping out of bounds and playing unselfishly.

Of the newer members Larrier and JA won't be too far beyond Purvis scoring wise, and may even eclipse him eventually, but I still see JA being the Boat to Purvis's Bazz. JA also may be too emotional at this point and will temper in time. Larrier at first look reminds me of the quieter Daniels type, but I could be wrong about this. AG may become the floor general, but too new to lead on and off the court.

But yes, we shall see! Hopefully we don't have the confusion we did last year. And the even bigger question may be, who becomes the crunch time go-to man? Jalen does thrive in those moments.

C

Chief00

Out of those with experience Brimah is probably the hype and "pushing the team" leader, but lacking in the scoring realm. I think Purvis will be the man if he's hitting threes, finishing at the rim, not stepping out of bounds and playing unselfishly.

Of the newer members Larrier and JA won't be too far beyond Purvis scoring wise, and may even eclipse him eventually, but I still see JA being the Boat to Purvis's Bazz. JA also may be too emotional at this point and will temper in time. Larrier at first look reminds me of the quieter Daniels type, but I could be wrong about this. AG may become the floor general, but too new to lead on and off the court.

But yes, we shall see! Hopefully we don't have the confusion we did last year. And the even bigger question may be, who becomes the crunch time go-to man? Jalen does thrive in those moments.

Competition against good teams always weeds things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom