Chief's Briefs | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Tbe start of another season and lots of observations to share. First, Upchurch from B-port is a player - I had seen him play a few times and this solidifies my view he is really good due to the competition. He is a little dude but he can play. A real competitor.

Larrier - A legit 6-9 with a good body and speed. Can rebound, plays D fairly hard, runs the court but I need to see more before judging his shooting. My initial assessment is not a knock down shooter but not a bricklayer either.

Gilbert - Amazing a guy that quick can get beat off the dribble as much as he did but Upchurch is really good. Doesn't have good rotation on his shot and is really short. I do like the way he pushed the ball. JC would of benched him after he backed off a possible collision going for a 50/50 ball in the first half. Call me old school but that's a no/no. He's a freshman so let's give him some time before passing judgement - just relaying what I saw. Has good speed.

Jackson - As noted elsewhere he has a nice stroke and has the size to shoot over the defense. Not super athletic but seems to know the game and has decent size.

Durham - Has legit 6-10 height and a soft touch but as I recall made just one FG. Given their depth and his need to put on some muscle - I would be open to redshirting. I can see some greatest there but I don't know if he completely trust his knees yet? I think he can rebound too but more muscle would help.

Vatale -Another guard in the rotation now but when it's shorten may not see much time if Jackson keeps knocking down shots. At college level he needs to take the jumper and not take it to the hoop unless necessary. Want to see him shoot more before passing judgement.

Brimah - tough type of game for him. His offense will miss Hamilton on the assist. Really not much change that I could see.

Facey - Definitely put on some muscle - played fairly well around the basket and he has a decent midrange shot. What's always been a question for him - will he stay engaged with intensity? Has ability.

Diarra - A 6-6 rebounder on a team with 6-10 guys. Plays very active and I like his intensity - seems like a good team guy. May get more time after Facey leaves.

Enoch - He is a big dude and we need that. He has good hands and nice touch with either hand around the basket. He doesn't have Drummond or Larrier speed but he is not slow either. Still got lost defensively in one pick and roll. Better player than Brimah other than help shot blocking and shot changing.

Purvis and Adams I will discuss another time - you know them - lots to get through today.

Quite frankly, in summary, we have good height this year. I don't know how this all works with so many new guys and so many tough games early at away or neutral courts? Kevin will need to make some tough decision probably sooner than he would like to shorten lineup given our schedule. I have never been crazy about having a lot of depth of guys that have different +'s and -'s in basketball - makes for chemistry issues, unhappy players and guys transferring - so KO will have to work his magic. But, we do have talent.

Reaction Score
I suggest learning the names of the players if you want to posit that people should care about your opinions.

C

Chief00

What about the walk-ons?
I don't recall them playing and if any did I would not mention unless I thought there was a chance the walk-on would impact the season.
What I try to do during the exhibition games is just watch and go by my gut reaction - I don't look at box scores etc like I would in the regular season - the purpose is different - individual talent evaluation and contribution to team vs team success.

C

Chief00

I suggest learning the names of the players if you want to posit that people should care about your opinions.

Yeah a couple of typos I could not change because you only have 15 minutes to edit. You will have to get over it. LOL

Reaction Score
Chief,

How can we get more people to go to games? 5000 people is miserable.

Reaction Score
Gilbert looked to be 5'9", what the press guide calls it I don't know. He's going to have to play smart at this level because driving into the trees will not work. Needs to stop and pull up. He can be an assist machine by driving and kicking out but we need him to show a good outside shot which I hope he has. Upchurch was blowing by him also. It's his first game but for those hoping for domination by him, I don't know.

C

Chief00

Chief,

How can we get more people to go to games? 5000 people is miserable.

Golden Rule - Even this year don't go up against the NFL

Noon or 1 o'clock games are bad for students

On season tickets it was $10 on ticket - don't know if general public knew how cheap

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Alterique being tentative on the loose ball may be more a mental thing rather than lack of competitiveness. If I remember correctly that was how he dislocated his shoulder.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Golden Rule - Even this year don't go up against the NFL

Noon or 1 o'clock games are bad for students

On season tickets it was $10 on ticket - don't know if general public knew how cheap
This game was also on Sunday of Halloween weekend in Hartford. There was very little chance that students were going to get down there. A lot of parties on Saturday night...I know I wouldnt have been getting up before noon to get down to Hartford for a 1 o'clock start. If this game was in Storrs there may have been a shot of more students.
On a side note, I know that many schools do free tickets for students (as we do with Hockey) I don't quite understand why we can't do that with the pre-season games at least.
Are students allowed to buy student tickets at the door? I've never tried... Maybe for a reduced price.
But, all in all, I agree that 5,000 fans is a little sad and doesn't do well when we have our biggest recruit in the stands.

Reaction Score
Several other blue bloods sell out every game (exhibition) regardless of time or opponent.

Attendance is not just an issue with exhibition games/.

I know this is because of the two stadiums, but I just wish we had more home court advantage because I think sometimes our effort reflects that of our fans.

Apologies, not trying to derail a thread, but it is just embarrassing looking at photos and seeing all these empty seats.

Reaction Score
Several other blue bloods sell out every game (exhibition) regardless of time or opponent.

I know this is because of the two stadiums, but I just wish we had more home court advantage because I think sometimes our effort reflects that of our fans.

Apologies, not trying to derail a thread, but it is just embarrassing looking at photos and seeing all these empty seats.

There would have been more students if this game was a Gampel, but not a lot more. Sales of Uconn tickets are just down across the board, not just Football. The old baby boomer fan base is dying moving out of state and we are just not replacing them with Millennials. All games are on TV in on 55 inch 4K tvs and conference and home scheduled sucks Now only a special game will bring out the fans...(Michigan in Football and Syracuse for BB). Other than that, we need to get used to the new norm. They heydays are gone and are not coming back. (Unless we get into a new conference)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The exhibition game tickets have been $10 for quite some time. I've taken my toddler son to the Hartford game for the last three years, knowing full well that "crowd" would be sparse. It's not a question of price (They should be free, UConn does hardly any advertising for them, but they have to pay rent for the XL Center). It's a question of importance. These two games do not count for anything in the standings and Sunday morning/early afternoon was pretty decent, weather-wise. People likely prioritized raking leaves over a practice game before the weather turns too cold and raking becomes miserable. I think it is asinine to criticize attendance like this, but I guess it's as good a reason as any, if there is nothing else to be cynical about...

On a side note, it looked like only Upchurch was in mid season form. UConn's perimeter D needs some work and I'd like to see more motion in the offense (though not exactly Ollie's calling card). Even the official timekeeper needed the practice. He let the clock run in the second half to 2:07 while UConn was at the free throw line.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
All games are on TV in on 55 inch 4K tvs and conference and home scheduled sucks
Not this one. The game wasn't broadcast on TV.

Reaction Score
Not this one. The game wasn't broadcast on TV.

Which make the attendance all the more scary. Plus there was a lot of New Haven fans in my section...glad we weren't playing Marathon Oil (which we used to sell out for in the 90s)

Reaction Score

"Several other blue bloods" don't have the best NFL team sharing their fan base playing a regular season game against the only team to have beaten them in 2016. If the crowd is sparse against a good team in December or January, you will have a legitimate point. But looking at the attendance for an afternoon exhibition game before Halloween is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom