Chief's Briefs - Enoch | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs - Enoch

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, it was requested that I do a few briefs or breakdowns of this year's UConn team. I decided to start with just a couple of things I have seen of Enoch both in games or in practice.

WARNING - If First Night is your idea of basketball you won't like this post! STOP HERE!

Two things that I fundamentally like about Enoch.
1) In transition to offense he makes a straight line to the basket or low block and establishes position early. When the guards get accustom to a Big who actually does this fundamental - some easy points can be score here. He seems to have the beginnings of the ability once he gets this initial position to seal his man. He also has good hands and a decent touch.
2) Defensively he attempts to beat his man in transition back to the foul line and meets the offensive Big there. Any offensive position progress from that point on will need to be earned in a muscle tussle as they use to say. After that a lot of Bigs lose their touch on a shot and they are not in their sweat spots.
These two things are music to my ears and quite frankly I have not seen it executed recently by other Bigs on the team.

One thing I hope for Enoch is that they focus on strength in the weight room and not this over focus on conditioning. Make the dude really strong and powerful with some flexibility training. From what I have seen he likes basketball so the conditioning part will naturally come from playing ball. Again this is basketball not gymnastics.

C

Chief00

So you're telling us you don't wear boxers?

LOL - I don't know about the subject line name- a poster told me to call it that and seemed offended if I called it breakdown and if I called it boxers - who knows?

C

Chief00

What does that even mean?

These are two fundamental things you do that produce wins in competitive basketball games. First night is as far removed from competitive fundamental basketball as it gets. Calhoun did First Night but held his nose and couldn't wait to get to Guyer Gym the next day.
Again I think First Night is a great show for the casual fan - and UConn needs them. To me though it's kind of sad we sellout first night and turn hundreds away and I see thousands of empty seats at Wednesday's game. Maybe it's partly due to First night being free but I think it's also the focus on entertainment rather than basketball.

Reaction Score
I thought this might be a Fruit of the Loom vs Hanes thing. I was pleasantly surprised.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He didn't call it "Chief's Panties", so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

C

Chief00

It's another attempt to define the Real Fans™. In this case you have to be mad that First Night exists to be a Real Fan™.
Actually, I said First Night was great for the casual fan and that UConn needs those fans. I will say from a business perspective it would be nice to see these people show up at a game that charges admission but that's Warde's problem not mine.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Can anyone give me a tl;dr? I like First Night, so I stopped where Chief told me to stop.
thumb.aspx

Reaction Score
Can anyone give me a tl;dr? I like First Night, so I stopped where Chief told me to stop.

Most of the gold was in the first two paragraphs anyway. He managed to get the First Night reference in as well as one of my personal favorites, "it was requested that I do a few breakdowns." I don't know whether that's true or top notch trolling but either way I love it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Funny thing is Chief thought the request for him to do player breakdowns was serious. Much like the kid who is dared to stick his tongue on the cold metal basketball stansion in Christmas Story, we just want to see it out of morbid curiosity.

Reaction Score
Funny thing is Chief thought the request for him to do player breakdowns was serious. Much like the kid who is dared to stick his tongue on the cold metal basketball stansion in Christmas Story, we just want to see it out of morbid curiosity.
Shhhhhh . . . . . . . . Don't wake up the kids.

C

Chief00

It's another attempt to define the Real Fans™. In this case you have to be mad that First Night exists to be a Real Fan™.

I have nothing against First Night as entertainment for those it appeals to - however it has little to do with competitive basketball. On this board it's really difficult to get down to any nuance - it all gets translated to you love or hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom