Chief's Briefs - Congratulations | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs - Congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Traveling out of state so I will be brief.
Great game - good job by players and coaches!
Keep up the great work and improvement. Sure I could break it down and find areas to improve on but for now - the big picture is they won - and up to this point - the biggest game of the year on the road! Quite frankly, Wow!
I hope KO let them celebrate on 6th Street last night;
Memo to football team and coaches - the time to have fun, get tans and celebrate is after a great road victory not before!

Reaction Score
Keep up the great work and improvement. Sure I could break it down and find areas to improve on but for now - the big picture is they won - and up to this point - the biggest game of the year on the road! Quite frankly, Wow!
Memo to football team and coaches - the time to have fun, get tans and celebrate is after a great road victory not before!
6th Street is pure insanity.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

We would appreciate it if you would do this ASAP.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Sure I could break it down and find areas to improve on but for now - the big picture is they won

Did you even watch the game Chief? This thread has literally no content... you contributed nothing to the board with this post. You're just a caricature.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Ah yes, the only person in the history of the world that would turn down an extra month of practice because somehow the team didn't deserve it. You'd think more coaches would follow your suggestion...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Everybody loves getting into Chief's briefs!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ah yes, the only person in the history of the world that would turn down an extra month of practice because somehow the team didn't deserve it. You'd think more coaches would follow your suggestion...
I have a belated Festivus grievance...
Quite frankly, it was requested that I do a few briefs or breakdowns of this year's UConn team...
...and it's with the Boneyard poster(s) who actually made this request...if they actually exist.

Reaction Score
Disappointed to find the content in this issue of Chief's Briefs a bit...soft
Quite frankly, disappointed to find the content in this issue of Chief's Briefs a bit...soft.

Fixed it for you.

C

Chief00

LOL - Let me address the content - it was intentionally soft since for the first time this season I provided insight via the realtime chatroom. Additionally, I had a philosophical discussion with a couple friends regarding - are we perhaps too hard on college kids ? Do we expect them to be too perfect in how they play? So I decided to just let a good win speak for itself taking a big picture view - But, now I realized people were waiting for the usual content and missed it!
Ok - some thoughts:
- We need to clean up the small stuff that cause loses - giving them 2 free foul shots after falling into the lane while the opponent shot a FT or keeping the offensive ball handler between our knees on defense rather than letting him blow by. Also, after missing another FT, Purvis came close to a technical toward the end which would have hurt.
- Purvis is shooting 53% from the line and I will use the term - and "quite frankly" that's unacceptable and will knock us out of the tournament if he doesn't improve. Along those thoughts looks like KO has settled for now at least on Gibbs and Hamilton to be the guys handling the ball and thus going to the line at the end of the game. Gibbs was at 87% - so for every 10 FT shots Gibbs will make about 9 and Purvis 5. That's a huge difference in close games.

- I thought Miller is turning into the player Jim Calhoun predicted - he also showed he could be a stretch 4 - but Jim wants him inside rebounding, setting screens and posting up.
- Facey has shown an ability now to play with some intensity but I still question his strength against some opponents.
- Adams has great potential but still hasn't completely put it together his freshman year - like many others on this team he needs to fight through screens and stay with his man rather than switching. They just don't switch very transparently - they end up leaving someone open.
- I know it was Macks best game but yes he impressed me.
- Bob Cousy use to have a saying - you can't get closer than close - Hamilton needs to learn that - if you have a good shot in the lane take it and don't over pass.
- Glen Miller seems to be winning the zone debate on the coaching staff - they actually played a lot of zone last night.
- I won't over analyze the carries - saw a season's worth of carry calls last night- until it becomes a trend I won't comment on it other than to say UConn needs to react quicker in general to what the refs are calling in a specific game because the calls are not going our way.
- How do we get Purvis to play well in the first half as he does in the second half.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
- Purvis is shooting 53% from the line... ...Gibbs was at 87% - so for every 10 FT shots Gibbs will make about 9 and Purvis 5. That's a huge difference in close games.

Of course that'e only part of the story. If he is on the floor late (not necessarily in the endgame) when we are up, but not insurmountably so, Purvis will likely draw fouls at an alarming rate, whereas opponents will likely be far less likely to start the foul every trip routine until it became necessary, if their fouls would be sending Gibbs or DHam to the line.

Obviously, that's going to mean a lot of time without one of our best three point threats and defenders on the floor during time that we could use his skills.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
LOL - Let me address the content - it was intentionally soft since for the first time this season I provided insight via the realtime chatroom. Additionally, I had a philosophical discussion with a couple friends regarding - are we perhaps too hard on college kids ? Do we expect them to be too perfect in how they play? So I decided to just let a good win speak for itself taking a big picture view - But, now I realized people were waiting for the usual content and missed it!
Ok - some thoughts:
- We need to clean up the small stuff that cause loses - giving them 2 free foul shots after falling into the lane while the opponent shot a FT or keeping the offensive ball handler between our knees on defense rather than letting him blow by. Also, after missing another FT, Purvis came close to a technical toward the end which would have hurt.
- Purvis is shooting 53% from the line and I will use the term - and "quite frankly" that's unacceptable and will knock us out of the tournament if he doesn't improve. Along those thoughts looks like KO has settled for now at least on Gibbs and Hamilton to be the guys handling the ball and thus going to the line at the end of the game. Gibbs was at 87% - so for every 10 FT shots Gibbs will make about 9 and Purvis 5. That's a huge difference in close games.

- I thought Miller is turning into the player Jim Calhoun predicted - he also showed he could be a stretch 4 - but Jim wants him inside rebounding, setting screens and posting up.
- Facey has shown an ability now to play with some intensity but I still question his strength against some opponents.
- Adams has great potential but still hasn't completely put it together his freshman year - like many others on this team he needs to fight through screens and stay with his man rather than switching. They just don't switch very transparently - they end up leaving someone open.
- I know it was Macks best game but yes he impressed me.
- Bob Cousy use to have a saying - you can't get closer than close - Hamilton needs to learn that - if you have a good shot in the lane take it and don't over pass.
- Glen Miller seems to be winning the zone debate on the coaching staff - they actually played a lot of zone last night.
- I won't over analyze the carries - saw a season's worth of carry calls last night- until it becomes a trend I won't comment on it other than to say UConn needs to react quicker in general to what the refs are calling in a specific game because the calls are not going our way.
- How do we get Purvis to play well in the first half as he does in the second half.

You literally took the top four threads on this forum and turned them in to your briefs. A day after they were started.

Boooo!!!!!!

C

Chief00

You literally took the top four threads on this forum and turned them in to your briefs. A day after they were started.

Boooo!!!!!!
No offense - but these were all comments I made in the chatroom in realtime - so whose idea were they? I was in Boston today and quite frankly had t read the threads you referred to....

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Boooo!!!!!!

Agree. I still don't think he even watched the game. And he claims he was in chat but I don't remember seeing him in there. "With Andre and uconn bitches." Chief is a pathological liar.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree. I still don't think he even watched the game. And he claims he was in chat but I don't remember seeing him in there. "With Andre and uconn bitches." Chief is a pathological liar.

Chief's walking the fashion runway wearing day old skivvies. Yellow and brown side out.

C

Chief00

I had to fire someone once and quite frankly your post recalls those memories. The Bottomline is there is sometimes a difference between working hard and working smart. The person kept saying how hard they worked - aka extra practice in this case - but then look at the results - and the horrible offense produced and the missed tackles on defense. Then when it got to game week there was more focus on the head coaches tan than how to get a receiver open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You are not truthful I was in chat.

You're responding to the wrong poster. I never made any claim to whether or not you were in the chat.

I said you're briefs were a day late and several dollars short because all you're points were already fully laid out in existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom