Chief Briefs - Villanova Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief Briefs - Villanova Edition

Reaction Score
We beat a Villanova team that played its best basketball.

"Here’s the thing, though, and this is probably not music to the ears of Neptune, his players or Villanova’s Nova Nation faithful: Saturday’s game against UConn was the best the Wildcats have looked all season.

Better than the Bahamas, when they beat Texas Tech, North Carolina and Memphis.

Better than their Big East-opening win at Creighton.

For me, and I’ve seen just about every minute either in person or on TV this season, this was the closest to “Villanova basketball” I’ve seen the Wildcats play not only this season but since Neptune took over for Jay Wright after Wright’s surprise retirement in April 2022."

Reaction Score
We made a lot of mental mistakes tonight that kept them in the game.

29% three point shooting symbolized all the bad shots we took late, many from 5 feet behind the line.
This. Very frustrating and not something this team usually does. Id also like to add DC really needs to stop trying to lay the ball in when hes under the basket. Bruh! You are 7`2 260lbs! Go up and dunk that stuff!! It drives me nuts when he does that. He needs to take a page from the book of Samson.

Reaction Score
So many possessions in some recent games that Karaban doesn’t touch the ball.
Why is that? Is it defensive focus, our offensive scheme or something Alex or his teammates aren’t doing?

Reaction Score
I’m sure someone else pointed this out but we only had more FTs because of them clock stopping FTs
I kept changing the FT’s throughout the games, my point was it was pretty even or to our advantage the whole game and on the road in a tough game - the fact it wasn’t a Villanova plus was huge.

Reaction Score
This. Very frustrating and not something this team usually does. Id also like to add DC really needs to stop trying to lay the ball in when hes under the basket. Bruh! You are 7`2 260lbs! Go up and dunk that stuff!! It drives me nuts when he does that. He needs to take a page from the book of Samson.
Let’s not use sight of his foot situation or else I would agree.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Six free throws in the last 30 seconds when they fouled us intentionally.

Still, that makes it 18-17, I'll take that every game (or something / anything close)

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I thought it was an evenly called game by the refs. In fact I don’t think our group that I watch the games with complained once about the refs. Of course I mean after the game started. Before it started all we talked about was how bad we expected to be especially against Villanova at their place. I was pleasantly surprised. I mean they called it evenly but there were a few times there were players knocked to the floor and no whistle so it was physical. That one call Tristen got when his man hit him from behind after he beat him is not one we usually get.

Reaction Score
Nova had a great defensive game plan and executed it very well. They really guarded the perimeter and prevented open 3's while also limiting our offensive rebounds. However, I thought we didn't look to get the ball inside, or to drive the lane as much as we could have. We learned something while still getting a W, so it's a double victory.

Reaction Score
We need to be really careful about pounding our chests. We could have stepped on their throats right out of the box, but we got sloppy and lazy and let them believe. The sloppiness stuck with us for the rest of the game and almost cost us. I’m impressed how we managed to impose our will down the stretch (we didn’t wilt and they kept punching), but we can’t play that kind of game every week

Reaction Score
We did a good job on Dixon. Clingan made every Nova player fear for their lives in the paint. We played one of our worst games yet Karaban showed up at the end with a massive corner triple and Newton showed his class in the second half for sure.
I still don't even think we have scratched the surface despite the past two games showing our defense vs Creighton and our rockfight win vs Nova, best is yet to come I am sure of it.
In Hurley we trust

Reaction Score
We did a good job on Dixon. Clingan made every Nova player fear for their lives in the paint. We played one of our worst games yet Karaban showed up at the end with a massive corner triple and Newton showed his class in the second half for sure.
I still don't even think we have scratched the surface despite the past two games showing our defense vs Creighton and our rockfight win vs Nova, best is yet to come I am sure of it.
In Hurley we trust
I agree on Clingan and despite his lack of explosion since injury, he dominated defensively and I saw multiple situations where they otherwise would have shot the ball in the paint but thought better and kicked the ball.

Reaction Score
Maybe they did shoot less foul shots but toward the end were absurd. We were hammered with no calls and then touch fouls the other way. Home court fine but that IMO was uneven but expected I guess. On one play Karaban barely touched their player on a rebound. I do understand there is contact all over that can be called anytime.
We won on a night Spencer went 1-5 from 3 and the team has experience, calm and ability to operate under pressure which is great.

Reaction Score
Chief i agree about the bad shots. Tristan played a hell of a game but a few very low percentage 3’s down stretch unacceptable. They were on the bonus and need to get to the rim. Low percentage long range 3 are not winning plays
I’ve generally been fine with deep three attempts from Tristen & Karaban because they’ve shown they have the range. But there were a couple Tristen took late that felt like 8 or 9 ft past the line, which are just terrible low percentage looks. We don’t need those.

Nova was overplaying on the perimeter. I’d like to see us feed Clingan more down low and back defenders down or kick it back out. He’s not an elite post scorer like Sonogo but I think he has the footwork & ability to score more down low. Hopefully, it would help prevent teams from overplaying on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if we could use an inside-out approach to starting our offense, getting touches on the interior from Clingan and Castle(and maybe karaban). Those 2 are not threats from the outside but Castle finishes great around the rim, and Clingan has passed well out of the interior. I remember some nice interior passes from Castle, and if Clingan can progress with his footwork ala Sanogo, we might end up with more open looks from our shooters.

Reaction Score
I’ve generally been fine with deep three attempts from Tristen & Karaban because they’ve shown they have the range. But there were a couple Tristen took late that felt like 8 or 9 ft past the line, which are just terrible low percentage looks. We don’t need those.

Nova was overplaying on the perimeter. I’d like to see us feed Clingan more down low and back defenders down or kick it back out. He’s not an elite post scorer like Sonogo but I think he has the footwork & ability to score more down low. Hopefully, it would help prevent teams from overplaying on the perimeter.
Great minds.......

Reaction Score
Also very impressed with the speed with which Nova passed the ball around the perimeter(not always, but when they did.. wow). Hoping that Castle can continue to develop his reactions(not thinking) within the offense. Someone else noted that the flow or efficiency slows a bit when the ball gets to him.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with layups as long as they go in. Have a problem with his just putting up a shot that's not even close. He looked stronger tonight. Hopefully the dunks are coming.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Firstly, this was a huge win in giving UConn sole possession of 1st place in the NBE.
Key FTs by both Cam and TN - Cam by far is the most stress free on the charity line
TN was stagnating the offense from the 3 minute left point of the game as he has done in the past - don't know why they do it - it takes them out of their rhythm
I thought Castle's defense was fantastic. He stopped the Nova players that could have caused the most pain.
AK hit a huge 3 but he was a ghost for most of the game. Not sure why.
Diarra adds a new dimension to the team when he plays and has been the sparkplug that every good team needs.
DC is a game changer, just have to hope that he gets himself into game shape because it is painful to watch him gasping for air. Once he gets stronger the shots will fall. I hope he gets some running in during this long wait til next game.
Nova has some nice players despite Neptune's coaching.
How many folks lost money as a result of that last second 3/4 court shot made? :p
Big win on the road.

Reaction Score
Firstly, this was a huge win in giving UConn sole possession of 1st place in the NBE.
Key FTs by both Cam and TN - Cam by far is the most stress free on the charity line
TN was stagnating the offense from the 3 minute left point of the game as he has done in the past - don't know why they do it - it takes them out of their rhythm
I thought Castle's defense was fantastic. He stopped the Nova players that could have caused the most pain.
AK hit a huge 3 but he was a ghost for most of the game. Not sure why.
Diarra adds a new dimension to the team when he plays and has been the sparkplug that every good team needs.
DC is a game changer, just have to hope that he gets himself into game shape because it is painful to watch him gasping for air. Once he gets stronger the shots will fall. I hope he gets some running in during this long wait til next game.
Nova has some nice players despite Neptune's coaching.
How many folks lost money as a result of that last second 3/4 court shot made? :p
Big win on the road.
Good points about Castle’s outstanding defense and Diarra’s spark plug impact. I do agree that Donovan is a game changer even given his current status. I am in the camp that for this season we should be cautious and conservative about his usage.

Reaction Score
So many possessions in some recent games that Karaban doesn’t touch the ball.
Karaban torches a team so the next few games opponents say we won’t let Karaban beat us, then Cam Spencer and Newton torch opponents for a few games, and the opponent scout says don’t let Spencer and Newton beat you, and then Karaban is wide open again.
I think sometimes opposing defenses try to focus and take away a player, but fortunately UConn has a lot of weapons and when they take one thing away they leave something else open.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
True, but now people are complaining that we didn't win by more.
Hey now, let's pump the breaks a little. UConn didn't make the Tournament in his first two years and hasn't gotten out of the first round in two of the three years they did. ;)

Reaction Score
The thing you can expect is variability of performance with HOME/ROAD during the regular season. Our double digit tournament run last season was a huge exception to the norm. There's a good chunk of this season still to be played. I agree, the jury is still out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom