Chief Briefs - MSG Insights | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief Briefs - MSG Insights

Reaction Score
Great atmosphere for a game tonight, and a win despite really ugly shooting. When you win by 10, while shooting 36% FG, you thank your defense, rebounding and relatively low turnovers. We did shoot 85% from the foul line and the 7 point advantage in that category was basically the difference.

The barometer for this team is do we significantly have more than a point per minute 10 minutes into the game. Tonight we barely surpassed that modest goal, the offensive chemistry and shooting of our starting 5 is just that bad. Polley has average 9 points in our wins and 3 points in our losses. Tonight he had 6. The only guy who contributed off the bench despite all the talk about our “depth”.

Our starters averaged 35 minutes tonight. There were some good performance aspects on offense, Cole was solid and efficient. Martin, other than his 1-6 three point shooting played well. Jackson Jr once again had a 4 assist to turnover ratio. It’s truly amazing how that wonderful young man has cleaned up that element of his game. Pretty remarkable doing that when the guy receiving the pass has an only slightly better than 1 in 3 chance of making a shot. It gives me hope this off season he will make dramatic progress on his shooting.

I love IW, take that open 12 to 15 footer but the idea you are spreading the offense going 0-3 from three is fool’s gold. Do what you do well. Battle on the offensive boards and continue being a team guy.

Chief has been saying with Hawkins in protocol, Gaffney playing well is critical. Tonight he did not help or hurt us, but we need to roll the dice on him and have Gaffney play aggressively on offense.

Sanogo was doubled and even tripled with no three point shooting threat. He expended energy with the pointless high hedging but at least that inefficient task did not produce early foul trouble.

It’s amazing how much we miss Hawkins given his overall season production, but we do. With Jordan in the mix, on a good night usually one of Hawkins, Polley or Gaffney offensively contributes, even if it is being an outside threat to open things up for Sanogo in the post.

We definitely need to try to run more, we have the defense and rebounding to start that thought but not the running mindset to execute it. We need to quickly obtain that or hope Polley gets hot or Gaffney penetrates.

Looking for a big game from Adama as we start game prep for Friday night. Chief is all in despite our shooting malfeasance, that the guys will battle. But, shooting makes the game easily and expands your upside. Chief did get the word about Hawkins protocol but anything Chief would say about that would be misinterpreted by the usual crowd here, so best fo say nothing.
This is the first game all year that when I was watching, I never felt even a twinge of angst – they were in control throughout

Reaction Score
The high hedge is not pointless. If done correctly (which we ususally do) it disrupts the offense. We totally took SH out of their offense and the high hedge was a big part of it. Chief, you know basketball, I am surprised you say it is pointless.
Which three point shooter were we trying to cool off by hedging over the screen? With Seton Hall missing so many shots, why would we want to disrupt that?
My own preference would be to save all that frantic energy and repurpose it towards fast breaking.
Chief has been watching Kofi Cockburn some this season and he doesn’t take that bait when a non shooter tries to pull him away from the hoop.
I think instead of making this a binary argument, I think another approach is to look at personnel. Whaley, yes for the high hedge but I don’t think so with Adama and even less so with Donovan when he arrives. This isn’t URI or Wagner - at this level we have real Big men.

Reaction Score
Great atmosphere for a game tonight, and a win despite really ugly shooting. When you win by 10, while shooting 36% FG, you thank your defense, rebounding and relatively low turnovers. We did shoot 85% from the foul line and the 7 point advantage in that category was basically the difference.

The barometer for this team is do we significantly have more than a point per minute 10 minutes into the game. Tonight we barely surpassed that modest goal, the offensive chemistry and shooting of our starting 5 is just that bad. Polley has average 9 points in our wins and 3 points in our losses. Tonight he had 6. The only guy who contributed off the bench despite all the talk about our “depth”.

Our starters averaged 35 minutes tonight. There were some good performance aspects on offense, Cole was solid and efficient. Martin, other than his 1-6 three point shooting played well. Jackson Jr once again had a 4 assist to turnover ratio. It’s truly amazing how that wonderful young man has cleaned up that element of his game. Pretty remarkable doing that when the guy receiving the pass has an only slightly better than 1 in 3 chance of making a shot. It gives me hope this off season he will make dramatic progress on his shooting.

I love IW, take that open 12 to 15 footer but the idea you are spreading the offense going 0-3 from three is fool’s gold. Do what you do well. Battle on the offensive boards and continue being a team guy.

Chief has been saying with Hawkins in protocol, Gaffney playing well is critical. Tonight he did not help or hurt us, but we need to roll the dice on him and have Gaffney play aggressively on offense.

Sanogo was doubled and even tripled with no three point shooting threat. He expended energy with the pointless high hedging but at least that inefficient task did not produce early foul trouble.

It’s amazing how much we miss Hawkins given his overall season production, but we do. With Jordan in the mix, on a good night usually one of Hawkins, Polley or Gaffney offensively contributes, even if it is being an outside threat to open things up for Sanogo in the post.

We definitely need to try to run more, we have the defense and rebounding to start that thought but not the running mindset to execute it. We need to quickly obtain that or hope Polley gets hot or Gaffney penetrates.

Looking for a big game from Adama as we start game prep for Friday night. Chief is all in despite our shooting malfeasance, that the guys will battle. But, shooting makes the game easily and expands your upside. Chief did get the word about Hawkins protocol but anything Chief would say about that would be misinterpreted by the usual crowd here, so best fo say nothing.
Agree 100% on Gaffney. The kid has some hops for a small guard, and has the talent around the basket to do things similar to what Jackson did last night. I’d like to him go straight to the basket and jam it, as I don’t think defenses are expecting it.

Reaction Score
This is the first game all year that when I was watching, I never felt even a twinge of angst – they were in control throughout
Eh, the Butler and Georgetown games would like you to hold their beer

Reaction Score
Which three point shooter were we trying to cool off by hedging over the screen? With Seton Hall missing so many shots, why would we want to disrupt that?
My own preference would be to save all that frantic energy and repurpose it towards fast breaking.
Chief has been watching Kofi Cockburn some this season and he doesn’t take that bait when a non shooter tries to pull him away from the hoop.
I think instead of making this a binary argument, I think another approach is to look at personnel. Whaley, yes for the high hedge but I don’t think so with Adama and even less so with Donovan when he arrives. This isn’t URI or Wagner - at this level we have real Big men.
It's not about stopping 3 point shots, it's about forcing the ball handler to keep moving laterally instead of getting downhill running towards the basket

Reaction Score

Agree whole heartedly on your "point per minute" barometer for this team.....would even expand that to "any 10 stretch". 62 last night wasn't great but they didn't have the dreaded scoreless stretch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not about stopping 3 point shots, it's about forcing the ball handler to keep moving laterally instead of getting downhill running towards the basket
It also burns the shot clock. It's effective in doses. @Chief00 Kofi doesn't do it because he's too big and slow. He couldn't if he wanted to. I remain critical of how often we ask Sanogo to do it. 1. Sometimes it is a waste of energy. 2. Sometimes there is nobody protecting the rim (never hard hedge when Polley is the 4) and 3. sometimes the opponent is baiting it and looking to exploit it (every single Creighton game and some others).

Reaction Score
Sanogo looks like he’s on a treadmill 25 feet from the basket. There’s a reason centers tend to be tall people and it isn’t to chase 6 foot guards down beyond the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% on Gaffney. The kid has some hops for a small guard, and has the talent around the basket to do things similar to what Jackson did last night. I’d like to him go straight to the basket and jam it, as I don’t think defenses are expecting it.
Jim Calhoun identified shooting and someone other than RJ to go past guys to the basket as weaknesses.
Hawkins has been in protocol, Jackson defenders back off of due to shooting reputation - so that leave Gaffney.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score

Was really happy to see him play clean minutes, I never wish ill on any of our team even if they aren't performing. It was a game or two ago where they had a moment in a coach's huddle and one thing that was said was "don't guard 0, he doesn't shoot". That's no bueno - and after Jan this year his pts/g dropped like a rock so understand why an opposing team would mostly ignore him as a threat. I'd love to see him getting a good 8-10ppg again and change that story.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom