Chief’s Post-Mortem | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Post-Mortem

Reaction Score
Not being able to effectively integrate Hawkin’s shooting into our offense really hurt the team.
Granted, he wasn’t as mature physically as some other players. But, perhaps our need for his shooting potential was under appreciated? And our patience for letting it present was too short?
Chief’s own feeling is we should have started Jordan relatively early on and let him develop with all the bumps in the road expected of freshmen.

Reaction Score
Having to waste Reese guarding Allen with AJ on the bench was frustrating and too much for one of our key scorers.

Reaction Score
Not being able to effectively integrate Hawkin’s shooting into our offense really hurt the team.
Granted, he wasn’t as mature physically as some other players. But, perhaps our need for his shooting potential was under appreciated? And our patience for letting it present was too short?
Chief’s own feeling is we should have started Jordan relatively early on and let him develop with all the bumps in the road expected of freshmen.
IMO it would’ve been easier to integrate Hawkins into the offense if was better able (or more aggressive) to create his own shot. His shooting touch and instincts are definitely college level, but he really needs to work on his handle this summer. Saw glimpses toward end of the season, so I’m hopeful.

Reaction Score
This should be written on signs in Dan Hurley’s office and plastered on t-shirts all offseason long, what a great line that sums up where it all went wrong:

“Stubborn is easy to prepare for.”
Thank you. Every once in awhile I coin something that somebody else copyrights or monetizes. But, that’s fine, I am a free speech guy. @nomar “Casual Fan” tm
That could replace the 45 minute or something like that tee shirt from last season’s exit,

Reaction Score
I agree to some extent, that was the ask. The challenge is that he is one of our top rebounders. He was careless with the ball until the last 1/3 of the season when he dramatically improved in that area. I thought Calhoun identified needing another penetrator off the dribble was a need for this team. I know Danny has mused about Andre bring a pg - Chief sees him more as a point forward and a guy to fill the lane on the break rather than the guy who runs it but I do love his passing ability.
My comment falls under the heading of showing a different look just to be less predictable and get the other team thinking. Even if only for 1-2 possessions. But I think another adjustment we could’ve considered was clearing out and having Martin take a page from Gillespie (or Mark Jackson back in the day) and just back his man down. Not a perfect comparison because the other two were PGs likely going against smaller guys, but Martin is also a beast and a tough match-up at the 2 spot. Might’ve opened up opportunities for kick-outs as well. Maybe we tried and I missed it, but don’t recall seeing much at all.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Good job Chief00. Well said but probably a little bit too much on the PC side. But I know really what you want to spit out!!!! It’s all good.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This should be written on signs in Dan Hurley’s office and plastered on t-shirts all offseason long, what a great line that sums up where it all went wrong:

“Stubborn is easy to prepare for.”
Fantastic KT. How about: “Help Wanted - only seasoned Mentors need apply”

Reaction Score
Good job Chief00. Well said but probably a little bit too much on the PC side. But I know really what you want to spit out!!!! It’s all good.
Thank you. I get it! True in a private conversation the language and directness would be different. LOL - I am controversial enough but sometimes I choose to reign it in or else the someone takes a throwaway line and tries to divert the conversation to that. Other times, I say the heck with it and just talk directly.
You are getting good reading what I want to say but don’t. LOL

Reaction Score
I’ll clarify, for those who point out that Hawkins is a good shooter. I agree, so I stand corrected. Though in my defense recall that it took half the year to get him any PT on a team that clearly needed that skill, and even then marginally used until his concussion.
Sadly, I was not surprised with the loss to NMSU. Given how the season played out, I don't think anyone on the Boneyard should be surprised about the outcome of the last game. Although not heralded, they had good team size and had the taste of winning, having won their league regular season and conference tournament. On the other hand, except for the wins against Auburn, Villanova and one or two other Big East games, essentially, our team lost around 75% of our BIG games this season.

Our team's and our players' shortcomings are well documented on the Boneyard. Without casting too many aspersions on individual players who've played hard all season, we need more consistent Division I level shooting and scoring ability. After last year's late season losses to Creighton and Maryland, contemplating our offensive shortfalls, like others on the Boneyard, I found myself all off-season hoping Hurley would bring in a shooter and/or penetrator. Although I initially viewed it as disloyal and cutthroat, all top coaches recruit over their existing players. DH decided otherwise, probably showing loyalty to Gaffney, Polley and the incoming Hawkins and Diggins. Unfortunately, Gaffney regressed and the young guards didn't get enough playing time to develop.

A lot, deservedly so, has been brought up about the lack of coaching adjustments during games and our coaching inability or unwillingness to change strategies in reaction to opponents' playing tactics. With our game plan, we should anticipate and have thought-out and prepared-for counter strategies to respond to how other teams can and should play against us.

As alumni and fans, with college kids playing, we must realize that some of our strategies and tactics will work and others will not. As others point out, Coach Hurley has done an excellent job re-stablishing our team's winning culture and bringing higher-rated recruits to UConn. Just as players must improve their overall game when they move on and play at a higher level, so too must coaches. As Calhoun did, I am hopeful that Coach Hurley will continue to improve his coaching acumen and performance as the seasons progress.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom