Chief’s Briefs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs

Reaction Score
I give a ton of credit to Providence. I never thought I would think this, but I envy their program. They have a team. At UConn, we have a bunch of individuals.

I think a large part of our problem is that two of our main guys are looking towards the NBA instead of focusing on UConn. 8 assists to 10 turnovers for a supposedly guard oriented team is troubling and suggests people are looking only for themselves. The lack of defense especially help defense also shows that we play as individuals.

Terry Larrier has NEVER proven himself. He averaged 6 pts at VCU and and did okay against Wagner and Northeastern last year. He has proven nothing, and yet there is this expectation that he will help us this year significantly. He has no interest in rebounding, he likes to turn the ball over, and he doesn't pass the ball very much. Not a tough player, and if he is going to play the four, he needs to be tough.

We cannot shoot the ball. With the athleticism that we have, we should be attacking the rim. The problem is, teams will consistently sag or play zone against us because we dont have a single player that will shoot over 35% from three except for Christian.

We have no transition game at all, and never score easy buckets. So many times Providence would push the ball down the floor and score within the first five seconds of their shot clock. We wait around and dribble until ten seconds left.

I know it is early. I know we will grow. But some of these issues are becoming a common theme with Ollie's teams. Good coaches make adjustments given their clientele. Some issues on this team HAVE to change. We better step up to learning curve quick because no one has any sympathy for UConn and our new group. There are no excuses.
Can anyone imagine what Jim Calhoun would do if he saw those crazy jacked up 3’s? The players would still be running now. The coaching staff has to grab control and explain what shots are taken where and by who. Can KO do that please?

Reaction Score
This Jalen could be Kemba or Shabazz narrative needs to stop. Frankly, its absurd at this point.

Let him take over a few games against good teams and win them for us before we get this train going.

It's not absurd and it's our only chance at a big year so we better hope it happens.

Reaction Score
It's not absurd and it's our only chance at a big year so we better hope it happens.
Hope and reality are two different things in the real world, but they seem to be synonyms on the boneyard.

Reaction Score
Who performed better?

Are you saying Vital is a top two player on the team or was one of the top two performers for UConn against Prov last night?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope and reality are two different things in the real world, but they seem to be synonyms on the boneyard.

How quickly UConn fans forget. 2011 and 2014 was so long ago wasn't it? No one thought Kemba or Bazz would've led UConn to the NC. I thought there was a slight chance Bazz could do it because of what Kemba did in 11. Now we can have realistic hope that a lead guard talent like Jalen can do great things. Yes he has a lot to prove but the season hasn't even started yet.

Reaction Score
How quickly UConn fans forget. 2011 and 2014 was so long ago wasn't it? No one thought Kemba or Bazz would've led UConn to the NC. I thought there was a slight chance Bazz could do it because of what Kemba did in 11. Now we can have realistic hope that a lead guard talent like Jalen can do great things. Yes he has a lot to prove but the season hasn't even started yet.
Kemba and Shabazz were both listed as pre season all Americans, Kemba more publications than Shabazz. Kemba was a projected lottery pick going into the summer before his junior. Not sure you can find Jalen in one mock right now. People have these ideas that these two came out of nowhere to be all Americans.

Also, maybe let Jalen show he has that in him before saying it just because you hope that’s what he can become.

Reaction Score
Kemba and Shabazz were both listed as pre season all Americans, Kemba more publications than Shabazz. Kemba was a projected lottery pick going into the summer before his junior. Not sure you can find Jalen in one mock right now. People have these ideas that these two came out of nowhere to be all Americans.

Also, maybe let Jalen show he has that in him before saying it just because you hope that’s what he can become.

The 2011 team wasn't even listed as a preseason top 68 team in SI I believe and they used that as motivation. As far as Kemba being a preseason AA and projected lottery pick, not saying it's false but I don't remember seeing it. Regardless, like I said no one thought those teams would win the NC. Kemba didn't show any signs of the things to come in 2010 and his sophomore stats are very similar to Jalen's stats last year.

Reaction Score
The 2011 team wasn't even listed as a preseason top 68 team in SI I believe and they used that as motivation. As far as Kemba being a preseason AA and projected lottery pick, not saying it's false but I don't remember seeing it. Regardless, like I said no one thought those teams would win the NC. Kemba didn't show any signs of the things to come in 2010 and his sophomore stats are very similar to Jalen's stats last year.
DraftExpress: Mock Draft

2011 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

quick google search first publication had him on a preseason AA team, do not have the time to go through all of them: Preseason All-Americans for 2010-11

He was also one of 6 players on the SI preseason regional covers.

The argument that no one expects us to win a title then and now is not a good one for this. The point is you are asking a player to become one of the best player in the country and one of the all time memoramble players in the history of the game. This is not a realistic expectation in any way shape or form. If he does it great, but right now its non-sense to say or expect.

Reaction Score
3. The officials did more talking among themselves and the decision making was more than strange - the PeeCee fans around us were joking that they even brought in their homer refs. - It's an exhibition so it didn't bother me as much as if it were for real but the three were amateur clowns.

John Gwynn is a homer ref for PC???

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
UConn fans have a tendency, to compare our past teams and past players and project them on to our current squad.

There is no Emeka, Ben, Kemba or Napier on this team.

Why not pull up some of the bad losses from the 2006-2007 season? Probably a more apt comparison, no?

Do we have an Eaves, Mandeldove, or Garrison?

Reaction Score
DraftExpress: Mock Draft

2011 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

quick google search first publication had him on a preseason AA team, do not have the time to go through all of them: Preseason All-Americans for 2010-11

He was also one of 6 players on the SI preseason regional covers.

The argument that no one expects us to win a title then and now is not a good one for this. The point is you are asking a player to become one of the best player in the country and one of the all time memoramble players in the history of the game. This is not a realistic expectation in any way shape or form. If he does it great, but right now its non-sense to say or expect.

There's no argument I could care less what you or anyone else thinks/says on this board. I've been watching UConn bball for almost thirty years and Jalen Adams is as talented as almost any player that's worn the uniform. If the kid stays healthy along with Larrier and Gilbert he's gonna have a great year with a chance to do special things in March.

Reaction Score
There's no argument I could care less what you or anyone else thinks/says on this board. I've been watching UConn bball for almost thirty years and Jalen Adams is as talented as almost any player that's worn the uniform. If the kid stays healthy along with Larrier and Gilbert he's gonna have a great year with a chance to do special things in March.

He's as physically gifted as any guard we've had, but he's not as skilled in shooting or consistent in finishing and needs to improve his decision making.

Reaction Score
He's as physically gifted as any guard we've had, but he's not as skilled in shooting or consistent in finishing and needs to improve his decision making.

He'll be fine check his shooting numbers from last year compared to Kemba and Bazz's sophmore years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom