Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition

Reaction Score
Good tough win with strong second half defense late. 27 Xavier to 14 UConn foul shots. Just another night in the Big East. It is embarassing.

Great shooting by Karaban (14), Spencer (19) and Newton (16). Tonight was small ball out of necessity and we have no Double Big rotation. Karaban, Newton and Spencer all made three 3’s. Diarra had two 3’s.

Johnson is hurting us playing so far away from the basket on both offense and defense. The result is often a foul. We only have one big, we need our lone Big in the paint where they are killing us posting up. We were outrebounded by double figures (12) and second chance points hurt.

Our last recruiting class wasn’t balance, not one true power Big Guy. We are paying for it with Donovan injuried. Danny threw up a zone look early in the second half because they were posting in the paint. I like Stewart and think we need him but he has to reduce mental errors such as not boxing Out on a foul shot.

The 50% foul shooting doesn’t cut it, especially on the road. Alex and Tristen were the only players who shot over 50% from the line.

Diarra is a candidate for 6th man award this year. It is amazing how he has improved his 3 ball and foul shooting. He helps us play uptempo, which we need to play without Donovan.

Johnson’s fouls are occurring at the rim or within 6 feet.

As for recruiting, I still think Hurley wanted a depth big in the portal but could find one who was interested.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A few comments:

How is it possible that Xavier had three fouls fifteen minutes into second half? Granted they played a lot cleaner than they did in first half but in the first half they committed three fouls for every one that was called. In the second half it appeared that only our fouls would be called.

At least two of SJ's fouls were reach ins, after it was far too late to try to defend. At least in games DC is out he needs to use far better judgement.

I believe we missed four front ends (three in the first half), which in all candor should count as two misses. This absolutely needs to be cleaned up.

I loved that X had no answers for our five guard lineup (after Karaban took the elbow). This is a testament to our coaching staff and in all candor, any opponent who saw this is likely scared beyond description with what we'll be able to do with a healthy Clingan.

Reaction Score
the execution the last three minutes was terrible. 3-4 poor possessions that resulted in last second contested three point shots from perhaps worst shooter on floor or a turnover or a tough Newton miss. Triston plays like he did in November and Uconn is elite. Played like he did last night and close game against a mediocre team.

Reaction Score
As I whined about in May, June, July, August, and every month since, we chose to sit on our last scholly rather than recruit a 'physical' power depth player in the 6'8 to 6'10 range. A team has to have at least 4 players who can give you defense and rebounding in the lane without playing other players out of position, In the frontcourt, we have lost at least some time every year to injury or illness. Johnson last year, Akok, Sanogo missed games, etc. Missing games is inevitable, yet we roll out a team with championship dreams with only 3 bigs. Singare would have been a surprise to be impactful as a freshman, Clingan and Johnson were our only 'bigs'.and Johnson has an injury history. What could gone wrong? We have an excellent 'small ball' team, but that isn't going to get us #6. Gonzaga was doomed when Timme left the court, Miami, Florida Atlantic, and San Diego St advanced, but we owned them inside, and they needed more size to compete to win. OK, now I've whined in January too., to keep my streak going.

Reaction Score
The pros
1. Well balanced scoring.
2. HD is a dawg!
3. Xavier for a good stretch did not know how to play against the small lineup.
4. Another win on the road.

The cons
1. Poor foul shooting
2. Samson needs to stay out of foul trouble. No need to defend by the 3 point line.
3. DC still out
what's the latest on Clingon?

Reaction Score
He was fine the previous 3 games, minus the foul trouble. He’s not and never has been a good rebounder.
Which is puzzling because he gets off the ground so quickly.

Reaction Score
As I whined about in May, June, July, August, and every month since, we chose to sit on our last scholly rather than recruit a 'physical' power depth player in the 6'8 to 6'10 range. A team has to have at least 4 players who can give you defense and rebounding in the lane without playing other players out of position, In the frontcourt, we have lost at least some time every year to injury or illness. Johnson last year, Akok, Sanogo missed games, etc. Missing games is inevitable, yet we roll out a team with championship dreams with only 3 bigs. Singare would have been a surprise to be impactful as a freshman, Clingan and Johnson were our only 'bigs'.and Johnson has an injury history. What could gone wrong? We have an excellent 'small ball' team, but that isn't going to get us #6. Gonzaga was doomed when Timme left the court, Miami, Florida Atlantic, and San Diego St advanced, but we owned them inside, and they needed more size to compete to win. OK, now I've whined in January too., to keep my streak going.

I like @NJHoops thoughts from September on this:

IMG_3221.png

Reaction Score
Good tough win with strong second half defense late. 27 Xavier to 14 UConn foul shots. Just another night in the Big East. It is embarassing.

Great shooting by Karaban (14), Spencer (19) and Newton (16). Tonight was small ball out of necessity and we have no Double Big rotation. Karaban, Newton and Spencer all made three 3’s. Diarra had two 3’s.

Johnson is hurting us playing so far away from the basket on both offense and defense. The result is often a foul. We only have one big, we need our lone Big in the paint where they are killing us posting up. We were outrebounded by double figures (12) and second chance points hurt.

Our last recruiting class wasn’t balance, not one true power Big Guy. We are paying for it with Donovan injuried. Danny threw up a zone look early in the second half because they were posting in the paint. I like Stewart and think we need him but he has to reduce mental errors such as not boxing Out on a foul shot.

The 50% foul shooting doesn’t cut it, especially on the road. Alex and Tristen were the only players who shot over 50% from the line.

Diarra is a candidate for 6th man award this year. It is amazing how he has improved his 3 ball and foul shooting. He helps us play uptempo, which we need to play without Donovan.
I thought Singare’s minutes vs St. John’s were great for what they were. Would like to see him for even just 5 min a game. Could have been useful last night.

Samson not being able to string good games together is slightly concerning.

Reaction Score

Well, freshman bigs who can play right aware are in demand, and most portal guys want PT. So you need to find someone willing to be happy with 8 minutes/game maximum. Easier said than done.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The pros
1. Well balanced scoring.
2. HD is a dawg!
3. Xavier for a good stretch did not know how to play against the small lineup.
4. Another win on the road.

The cons
1. Poor foul shooting
2. Samson needs to stay out of foul trouble. No need to defend by the 3 point line.
3. DC still out
I am not certain Samson can play more than 20 minutes without getting at least 4 fouls. You can actually see them coming. If he has three fouls his man faces the basket goes to the hoop and Samson plays defense by reaching rather than staying vertical and moving his feet. It is what it is. He needs to realize with his physical gifts he could play at the next level if he was a plus defender. I am certain our staff is drilling on this but in game he regresses as he gets tired or is on the floor for an extended period.

Reaction Score
Well, freshman bigs who can play right aware are in demand, and most portal guys want PT. So you need to find someone willing to be happy with 8 minutes/game maximum. Easier said than done.
Exactly. U are recruiting a guy to be the 3rd center behind Dc & Sj. What quality guy is signing up for that

Reaction Score
Here's Miller talking about our small lineup. With context: it starts talking about that lineup in relation to beating a press, then in general:

8:28 in the video if the link is bad

Reaction Score
Its a difficult balance. The freshman need minutes to develop or they may leave. I believe we already have a physical 6’7” inch bruiser in our kid from Washington state. Look at ball, he no longer sees the minutes with castle back and diarra playing exceptional. His growth has stopped and he looks lost. We will be counting heavily on the other 4 freshmen next year.

Reaction Score
What, no need for mattresses this time chief?
Just playing. Great write up as always
Thank you. The mattress thing, I should have just left as is, instead of the more boring reality lol - lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Johnson’s fouls are occurring at the rim or within 6 feet.

As for recruiting, I still think Hurley wanted a depth big in the portal but could find one who was interested.
I don’t disagree but that also is my point - he is often moving to recover from perimeter so defensively he is not in good defensive position and some of it is just fundamental mistakes and quite frankly - get in the weight room Samson.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m sure guarding 5s and playing in the post isn’t what JStew expected/wanted, but he has really proven his worth and given some good minutes there. Want to see him get more opportunities.

Reaction Score
I thought Singare’s minutes vs St. John’s were great for what they were. Would like to see him for even just 5 min a game. Could have been useful last night.

Samson not being able to string good games together is slightly concerning.
Samson gets pushed around some, so imagine Singare? Both have protection but need more strength and development.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I do like Stewart despite his mistakes - physicality and attitude edge wise - I see some hope.
I think Stewart looks like he belongs when he's in there. I see a steep learning curve with more PT.

Reaction Score
I do like Stewart despite his mistakes - physicality and attitude edge wise - I see some hope.
Thought Stewart played solid D last night. Earning confidence and PT. Not sure what the T was for but I think he didn't like the way his friend Steph was getting manhandled without any whistles.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nice write-up Chief00

1) In my opinion, Diara was the MVP of the game - his 3's were timely and huge back breakers to Xavier. His D was great and every time there was a stop and/or Xavier turnover it seemed he was involved. AK played a yeoman's game. Ball will be a very good player for UConn but during NBE games and the tournaments, I hope HD is the first option off the bench.
2) Love Cam's attitude and his look at the bench pull up mid-range shots are sneaky and lethal. His perimeter D is horrid - he either gives his mark too much room to stop the penetration or gets lost on switches. Perhaps his lateral foot speed is just too slow - he does rebound well for his size.
3) Newton hit some big 3s and came alive in the second half. It seems to me, that in the past 3 games, he has become lazy at times. Lately, his perimeter D is no better than Cam's for the same reasons and with your 2 starting guards playing D like that spells trouble for UConn vs a team with 2 quality hard driving guards. We've seen Newton play lockdown D last season, so we know that he is capable. I hope his knee is OK.
4) Castle can drive and rebound, and his D is usually high level. He made some NBA plays last night. Some on the chat were crucifying him for taking two 3s in the closing minutes but those shots were wide open. I've seen him make plenty of 3s in the past few years and I am sure he will do so soon. I know he likes to play fast but sometimes he needs to slow down and probe. He will learn that at the next level.
5) I love what UConn showed playing small ball but there is a 6"10" freshman who played very well vs arguably the best big man in the league at St Johns. DH can't find at least 5 minutes of game time for him? Let's not hope this Floyd part 2.
6) DH once again got caught up in the game theatrics when he should have been a floor coach. During that Xavier 9-0 run, he should have called a TO and drawn up a play to get an easy score to stop the stagnant offense and temper the bleeding. Hopefully it was a one off - when you are coaching against a maniac like Miller, I guess it is easy to be distracted.

Any conference win is big, and these were games that UConn lost last season. Once DC rejoins the line-up, UConn will be that much better. Can't wait. Looks like the conference regular season title is very much in play.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom