Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition

Reaction Score
Anyone who feels we don’t have an issue of how we are perceived by Big East officials - how much evidence do you need? The touch fouls called on us and not on them. 19 personal fouls vs 8. 25 ft attempts to 9. Our second foul shot of the game mid way through the second half. The late T on Hurley. All that in an other wise even game. Wake up, it is an issue!

Not exploring the Double Big this season hurt this game, probably lost the game today. Karaban tried hard but defensively got exploited. Meanwhile, Clingan who played very good, spent too much time on the bench. Clingan was one of the few game changer type players today and spent most of the game on the bench. No excuse for that.

The High Hedge results were brutal today. What a well coach team like Xavier exploits is a pass or two away from the hedge action and the mismatch that has its origins during the hedging action.

I have been focusing on these 3 above factors and people say why, we won anyways. Now you know why.

Our ball movement was. Good with 15 first half assists. Would like to see Joey C get more time but with Diarra playing so well setting uptempo that’s difficult.

Early in the second half, that was a Larry Bird move by Andre, I am not behind the line, so he calmly dribbles behind the line and lets it fly with a swish.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone who feels we don’t have an issue of how we are perceived by Big East officials - how much evidence do you need? The touch fouls called on us and not on them. 19 personal fouls vs 8. 25 ft attempts to 9. Our second foul shot of the game mid way through the second half. The late T on Hurley. All that in an other wise even game. Wake up, it is an issue!

Not exploring the Double Big this season hurt this game, probably lost the game today. Karaban tried hard but defensively got exploited. Meanwhile, Clingan who played very good, spent too much time on the bench. Clingan was one of the few game changer type players today and spent most of the game on the bench. No excuse for that.

The High Hedge results were brutal today. What a well coach team like Xavier exploits is a pass or two away from the hedge action and the mismatch that has its origins during the hedging action.

I have been focusing on these 3 above factors and people say why, we won anyways. Now you know why.

Our ball movement was. Good with 15 first half assists. Would like to see Joey C get more time but with Diarra playing so well setting uptempo that’s difficult.

Early in the second half, that was a Larry Bird move by Andre, I am not behind the line, so he calmly dribbles behind the line and lets it fly with a swish.
I’m going to give this a harder read later, but I want to think about this. At least some of the foul disparity was caused by us shooting outside against a Xavier team that was packing the paint.

Reaction Score
It was the flops that pi$$ed me off. They called the first one, then let the next 5 go. I guess you have to give Miller and Xavier credit for knowing that the refs aren't going to call a 2nd one, especially at home. So, they took clear advantage. Perhaps the Huskies should take a 20 minute coaching/practice session on flopping for their next home game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

no, it's not an issue, it's a whine.

danny is a nervous dude.
college ball this year is el stinko, which is good for us as it gives us an opportunity. as promised looong ago, expect upsets and such the whole season.

also as noted loong ago, our 2nd halves are typically not good, even against the 'cupcakes.' u can look it up.

also as noted looong ago, the nba doesn't really care much for our league. here, have a recent opinion on our league draft potentials.
five of 50.
of course, cam is in the very top group, but u knew that, amiright?
2 from creighton, hawk in the 30s, and that guy from x who played today.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/

das it (tho i've been told here in another thread that our squad has potentially 5 g-league players). the top dude is 7-4, 210, can play any dang position he feels like, yet never even heard of here.
sometimes, i tend to forget that there are other teams, players, and coaches in the country, and only our league exists. my bad.

ps. also noted loong ago, and only approved by auggie doggie iirc, X is a top squad. mebbe the best in the league. idk yet.
jones, freemantle, nunge - g, f, c. - 47 points, 18 boards, 13 assists today.

now, what will danny come up with to defeat the growing opponents gameplan to deny the paintpass, and don't guard him outside, just let ajax shoot till his arms fall off?
sure would be nice if he started playing donno a lot more. cf #1 nba potential draft pick dude. he ain't short either.

Reaction Score

no, it's not an issue, it's a whine.

danny is a nervous dude.
college ball this year is el stinko, which is good for us as it gives us an opportunity. as promised looong ago, expect upsets and such the whole season.

also as noted loong ago, our 2nd halves are typically not good, even against the 'cupcakes.' u can look it up.

also as noted looong ago, the nba doesn't really care much for our league. here, have a recent opinion on our league draft potentials.
five of 50.
of course, cam is in the very top group, but u knew that, amiright?
2 from creighton, hawk in the 30s, and that guy from x who played today.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/

das it (tho i've been told here in another thread that our squad has potentially 5 g-league players). the top dude is 7-4, 210, can play any dang position he feels like, yet never even heard of here.
sometimes, i tend to forget that there are other teams, players, and coaches in the country, and only our league exists. my bad.

ps. also noted loong ago, and only approved by auggie doggie iirc, X is a top squad. mebbe the best in the league. idk yet.
jones, freemantle, nunge - g, f, c. - 47 points, 18 boards, 13 assists today.

now, what will danny come up with to defeat the growing opponents gameplan to deny the paintpass, and don't guard him outside, just let ajax shoot till his arms fall off?
sure would be nice if he started playing donno a lot more. cf #1 nba potential draft pick dude. he ain't short either.
Just will focus on the T since I covered the other earlier, do you call it at that late critical moment in a top conference national TV game - I doubt Danny then was not much different than in most of the game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Just will focus on the T since I covered the other earlier, do you call it at that late critical moment in a top conference national TV game - I doubt Danny then was not much different than in most of the game.
yes.
let's review:
'danny is a nervous dude.'
cuz
'I doubt Danny then was not much different than in most of the game.'

i don't really think that refs, who are people just like u and me, look forward to listening to him for an entire game. it gets annoying.

and now, he has, obviously, infected ajax with that, who is a right fine player but has everybody on the court keeping one eye on him to see if he's going to go 'all danny' during a game. not good, and far from the idea of a player being an extension of the coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We don’t have guards that can drive to the basket for easy layups. Other teams do and it’s a high percentage shot we are missing. They denied Sanogo the ball and I do believe Clingan would have gotten the ball easier based on his size than Adama. Alas he was glued to the bench. Hurley should really rethink this. Play Clingan, take some lumps and get ready for March. Many here believe we play better when DC is in the game.

Reaction Score
Maybe the fouls would have been a little closer if we didn't take 55% of our shots from 3. Most fouls will happen closer to the basket but we do not attack the hoop with authority.

Agree but also — Very telling with our record you would expect more foul shots by a lot. Instead we have a 297 to 318 attempt deficit. It is a huge issue.

Reaction Score
We don’t have guards that can drive to the basket for easy layups. Other teams do and it’s a high percentage shot we are missing. They denied Sanogo the ball and I do believe Clingan would have gotten the ball easier based on his size than Adama. Alas he was glued to the bench. Hurley should really rethink this. Play Clingan, take some lumps and get ready for March. Many here believe we play better when DC is in the game.
I do think we play better with Donovan out there - he can change a game. Karaban is a good player but can be physically overwhelmed in certain matchups until he gets stronger. Sanogo statistically is one of our best three ball guys % wise on our team - so where’s the give up. Time to play them together starting NOW.

Reaction Score
The foul disparity is noted and the Hurley / Uconn bias is caked in particularly on the road.

We were outcoached today and did not take advantage of our strengths which was our bench. Offensively we played passive and did not force our physicality on Xavier. This would have forced the officials to call fouls and it had the effect of bailing Xavier out defensively.

Defensively, we were exposed meaning our lack of discipline defensively. A well coached, offensively talented team like Xavier took advantage. Miller expected to win this game.

Lastly, the lack of having a go to scorer in crunch time hurt us in this game. Getting buckets when the pressure is on during a road game is a whole different kind of skill that the team hasn't developed yet. Sanogo should be that guy. Jackson should be that guy as a facilator. Hawkins has the skill set however his lack of experience shows in these moments. Hurley will need a more disciplined approach to the offense in these competitive games at crunch time. There have been too many dead possessions and turnovers and we were bit today. You ask what our biggest weakness is and it is the lack of elite point guard play. Jackson is still developing at the position.

Now the season begins and they got their fill of some Xavier humble . The team will get better from this. These issues can be fixed so we should feel good about that. The tools are there. Coaching included.

Reaction Score
The foul disparity is noted and the Hurley / Uconn bias is caked in particularly on the road.

We were outcoached today and did not take advantage of our strengths which was our bench. Offensively we played passive and did not force our physicality on Xavier. This would have forced the officials to call fouls and it had the effect of bailing Xavier out defensively.

Defensively, we were exposed meaning our lack of discipline defensively. A well coached, offensively talented team like Xavier took advantage. Miller expected to win this game.

Lastly, the lack of having a go to scorer in crunch time hurt us in this game. Getting buckets when the pressure is on during a road game is a whole different kind of skill that the team hasn't developed yet. Sanogo should be that guy. Jackson should be that guy as a facilator. Hawkins has the skill set however his lack of experience shows in these moments. Hurley will need a more disciplined approach to the offense in these competitive games at crunch time. There have been too many dead possessions and turnovers and we were bit today. You ask what our biggest weakness is and it is the lack of elite point guard play. Jackson is still developing at the position.

Now the season begins and they got their fill of some Xavier humble . The team will get better from this. These issues can be fixed so we should feel good about that. The tools are there. Coaching included.
Good post and points.

Reaction Score
Yeah, ok. UConn played a crap game and was tied at 71 with a minute to go on a hostile floor.

Reaction Score
If we don't have a legit backup at the 4, it makes no sense to not employ Sanogo and Clingan in tandem for at lease 10 minutes per game.
Couldn’t agree more. We should have tested it earlier this season, but failing to do that; the time to do it is now.

Reaction Score
Need to start dribble driving with a purpose…lots of times players seem timid/get themselves in bad positions not being decisive around/close to the rim
Yes, that was Newton’s game today.

Reaction Score
Who T'd him up ? Brian O'Connell is terrible

Reaction Score

Xavier is much more experienced than UConn, too. Hell, what are they, an average of 27 years old? J/K, but seriously, that is a veteran-laden unit. Boum and Nunge will turn 24 in early '23, and Hunter and Kunkel just turned 23. The babies are Fremantle at 22 years old and Jones, 20.

Reaction Score
Xavier is much more experienced than UConn, too. Hell, what are they, an average of 27 years old? J/K, but seriously, that is a veteran-laden unit. Boum and Nunge will turn 24 in early '23, and Hunter and Kunkel just turned 23. The babies are Fremantle at 22 years old and Jones, 20.
But for the season, even before today’s game we have been in a FT shooting attempt deficit 297-318. I have always tried to face issues head-on in a transparent manner. This is an issue we need to address. It is an awful handicap.

Reaction Score
37 3-pt and 30 2-pt shots? 16 TOs!

Only 7 mins and 4 Pts for DC?

Newton: 4 pts and 4 PF in 32 mins? But 7 Rebs and 7 Asts.

Why not try AS & DC together?

SMH

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom