Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn up by 11 with 1:28 left
UConn up by 8 with 1:03 left
UConn up by 7 with 0:28 left
UConn up by 4 with 0.19 left
This is where everyone had to be thinking they were going to miss free throw an 11 point lead away. All while the announcers had already chalked in the win. Tense moments.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Working all day at the pharmacy trying to survive the covid driven insanity ? so didn't catch the game... how did Andre do? I know he has great energy and upside but last game didn't see like much of a scoring threat.. did he get much run today and how'd he play?
There is a one hour cut of the game on YouTube, all action, commercials edited out.

C

Chief00

He has said he wants to model his game after Pistol Pete. I think the young man needs to study footage of Elgin Baylor -- the original point forward.
His mom said he had a relatively late growth spurt, hence the early guard skills developments. Although, that development did not include outside shooting skills since he was so athletic he could just go by and over people. His shot work has come the last 2 years though.

C

Chief00

This is where everyone had to be thinking they were going to miss free throw an 11 point lead away. All while the announcers had already chalked in the win. Tense moments.
Very true.

Reaction Score
Gaffney made several mistakes in this game including driving to the basket a few times and making passes too late to Whaley and Sanogo that were promptly fumbled out of bounds. He should have just kept going to the basket for the layup. I should point out that he had a breakaway earlier and rolled the ball over the basket. He was not very good in this game. I also thought that at the end of the game they had a terrible time trying to inbound the ball and couple that with the 1-5 free throws, almost cost them the game. It was a very important win despite the poor end play.

Reaction Score
To be fair Gaffney has looked like our best player the past 2 weeks of practice. He just needs things to click and translate into games.
Things I don't see/know. All fine but until that happens, and happens consistently, I can't see the reason to start him over Cole. Removing Adams and placing him out there with Cole seemed like the thing to do.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Gaffney made several mistakes in this game including driving to the basket a few times and making passes too late to Whaley and Sanogo that were promptly fumbled out of bounds. He should have just kept going to the basket for the layup. I should point out that he had a breakaway earlier and rolled the ball over the basket. He was not very good in this game. I also thought that at the end of the game they had a terrible time trying to inbound the ball and couple that with the 1-5 free throws, almost cost them the game. It was a very important win despite the poor end play.
cool, now tell us our record when jmoney starts the game over the past 2 seasons. pro tip: don't look. and, tell us why, after a series of poorly executed inbounds plays yesterday,, coach switched the inbound passer to jmoney -problem solved. finally, tell us why, at the end of games where the result may rest on us making ft's from the inevitable fouls to come, jmoney is always on the floor.
coach said '4-6 weeks' on james' return - correctamundo, notwithstanding the insanities heard here.
coach also said that we seem to win when jalen is on the floor- 2x correctamundo.

pretty funny situation when coach wants him to both inbound the ball, and get the pass. lol.

C

Chief00

The intangible benefits of Jackson and Gaffney that don’t directly appear in their boxscore line.
Faster tempo, more athletic and most importantly sharing of the ball at the right time and place with a teammate.
Someone posted we had 21 assists and often these guys are involved in the pass before the assist. When a team plays up-tempo and unselfish there are less forced shots and better more comfortable ones.
While I agree Gaffney needs to shoot more when he drives or pull up I can tell you while as a fan I don’t like it - his teammates are not going to usually complain - although Martin did last game. They like a guy who passes as Chief did when he played LOL. Now he just needs to improve in confidence, decision making and execution abd I believe he will.
Jackson is a no brainer - Chief loves his game as does almost everyone.

Reaction Score
Which led to less late shot clock possessions but we still need progress there.
I disagree. They played much faster. Cole wasn't walking the ball up he was running it up. We rebounded and got up court much faster. We even had a leak out, when is the last time you saw that. The 3 man weave was not omnipresent as it has been all season, it was there in small doses. We had 21 assists on 28 hoops and considering 3 of those were off steals, or beak aways completely different. I think we had 5-6 players with multiple assists. Quicker shots because the ball was moving, not 20 seconds outside the 3 point line a ball screen, and a bad look by a guy who shoots in the 30s. It was one game, but the game plan was noticeably different. I disagree with your take completely. We didn't shoot great, we took more shots, and took advantage of better shots. It was a pleasure to finally see a real offense, instead of a stagnant mess.

Reaction Score
Also, we played over our heads in that game. Whalley isn't a 12 point 10 rebound 4 assist 5 block player, or he'd be a 1st round NBA pick. Cole Shot way above the norm, assisted on more baskets than any other game. He hit 5-7 from deep, his average on 7 attempts is closest to 2-7, so take those 9 points away and it looks a lot different. Akok scored 7 points in 10 minutes on the floor (my educated guess is he won't score 7 points in 10 minutes again all season. So what the next thought is, did our style of play suit our players better so even if Whalley, Cole, and Akok don't achieve those career games, does it create opportunities so that we have different players playing above their level because the style of play is better suited to this roster as a whole? I think time will bear out that it does. Chief, love your posts, very complete and factual. For some reason, you have an affinity for Gaffney. I like what he does, but his numbers are so low on the efficiency scale they are not worth 20 minutes, outside the fact if not him, who else? Come on 20 minutes 2 assists 1 rebound, and 1-6? We had 6 players with 2 assists or more. I have seen one game with 20 points, but I think Adams had 15 in a game. It is the full body of work, and if I had to grade his full body of work I would say C-. I would rate the same vs Xavier. We have to keep putting pressure on the opposing defense, when the offense is accelerating the pace the energy transfers to the other end of the court because guys get their heads in the game, and over-achieving raises the bar.

Reaction Score

I was beside myself when we were missing those free throws. Luckily, Martin redeemed himself and hit his two with 16 seconds left. If he misses both of those again, I’m not sure we win the game.

C

Chief00

Also, we played over our heads in that game. Whalley isn't a 12 point 10 rebound 4 assist 5 block player, or he'd be a 1st round NBA pick. Cole Shot way above the norm, assisted on more baskets than any other game. He hit 5-7 from deep, his average on 7 attempts is closest to 2-7, so take those 9 points away and it looks a lot different. Akok scored 7 points in 10 minutes on the floor (my educated guess is he won't score 7 points in 10 minutes again all season. So what the next thought is, did our style of play suit our players better so even if Whalley, Cole, and Akok don't achieve those career games, does it create opportunities so that we have different players playing above their level because the style of play is better suited to this roster as a whole? I think time will bear out that it does. Chief, love your posts, very complete and factual. For some reason, you have an affinity for Gaffney. I like what he does, but his numbers are so low on the efficiency scale they are not worth 20 minutes, outside the fact if not him, who else? Come on 20 minutes 2 assists 1 rebound, and 1-6? We had 6 players with 2 assists or more. I have seen one game with 20 points, but I think Adams had 15 in a game. It is the full body of work, and if I had to grade his full body of work I would say C-. I would rate the same vs Xavier. We have to keep putting pressure on the opposing defense, when the offense is accelerating the pace the energy transfers to the other end of the court because guys get their heads in the game, and over-achieving raises the bar.
I like guys who play minutes when the team wins. His head coach does too.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
my favorite part of these kookoo beans observations is:
'Akok scored 7 points in 10 minutes on the floor (my educated guess is he won't score 7 points in 10 minutes again all season.' cuz, ummm, errrr, ahhh, you forgot to close parenthesis.
yeah, sure, that's my issue.

Reaction Score
I like guys who play minutes when the team wins. His head coach does too.
I get that, but you are conflating Gaffney's minutes to team success. Not counting CCSU, and Hartford:

Gaffney minutes highest:

28 LOSS
27 WIN
25 LOSS

I don't see the correlation to winning? Please explain

C

Chief00

I get that, but you are conflating Gaffney's minutes to team success. Not counting CCSU, and Hartford:

Gaffney minutes highest:

28 LOSS
27 WIN
25 LOSS

I don't see the correlation to winning? Please explain
Coach Hurley was including the last 6-7 games last season in his remark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Why is this thread needed? I watched the game! Is it for people who cant watch or dont undertsand what they saw?I'll guarantee you ,anyone who comes here knows what they saw and doesnt need anyone to recap the event . Thats for the newspapers!

Reaction Score
Newspapers??? Who buys newspapers anymore? There's so many more avenues of information these days.

Reaction Score
Newspapers??? Who buys newspapers anymore? There's so many more avenues of information these days.
I love the newspaper.

It is my preferred way of getting the news. A lot of it is because it is reading; there is a process from the page to my brain that works best for me. Also, I am able to hold it in my hands, turn the pages, I hear them whisper and rustle at me, and it gives me a comfortable feeling. In the morning, every day, the short walk outdoors to the street is a precious part of my day.

These quiet rituals are nuts and bolts quality of Life for me.

Support your local newspaper whatever that might be, and jeez, additionally, the New York Times, their writing, the whole process of journalism, just so refreshing and informative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is this thread needed? I watched the game! Is it for people who cant watch or dont undertsand what they saw?I'll guarantee you ,anyone who comes here knows what they saw and doesnt need anyone to recap the event . Thats for the newspapers!
I guess we should just shut down the whole board then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom