Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

andre
Chief sees Andre as a point forward type rather than a pure PG. But, definitely he can help advance the ball and create in the half court. As with others, when you do that, you also have the responsibility to be a good foul shooter under pressure.
Posters can say what they want about Gaffney, much of it is valid. The truth for 2 years, is when he’s gets minutes, somehow they tend to win more. Hurley has made that observation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Cole is exactly where he should be - as a microwave scorer off the bench, freed from the shackles of starting and running the offense. Gaffney should be starting at pg and will be asked to do much less with Bouk back, a role he’ll shine in.

Reaction Score
Big change when Akok came in. He completely befuddled Xavier for a while. Very productive, even beyond his actual game minutes, it seemed.
It showed how important he is moving forward this season and for the future even more so. When he came him, he was paired up with Sanog in the front court. They were down I believe like 9 points 8 min into the ball game. He immediate hits a 3 as the defense sagged off of him. His playmaking at the 4 is such a difference. Seemed to even gave Whaley some confidence too who knocked down a couple big shots. Akok changed the tone of the game completely. I’m fine with Whaley and Sanogo playing together, but if Whaley can just be respectable as a shooter, maybe like 33% from 3 (say 1/3 a game) it creates so much better spacing for our guards, as well as entry passes into the post for Sanogo.

Reaction Score
I am not a big Tyler Polley fan but I will give him props for something different today. I try to watch the off the ball action and his defense on #0 was outstanding. Don't know if the kid is any threat at all but Tyler Phommachanh was all over him. He also was effective when switched onto Scruggs a couple of times. Nice effort Tyler Phommachanh.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought Akok changed the game for us in several ways. Energy for sure. We have been listless for 2 games now and started that way again. But he also solves so many problems. With Whaley at 4 we lack shooting. With Martin rim protection. Akok is just a matchup problem for every team. He altered several shots when he was in. Making 3s is huge but so was that aggressive move to the hoop. Maybe we forget this guy started from day one as a freshman, and Bouknight didn’t.

Cole was huge today. I think Jackson takes some of the pressure off him by handling the role of passing the ball inside, where Cole struggles. 7 assists and much needed scoring. Martin played angry, and thats when he’s best. Whaley showed flashes of the good Whaley on D and the boards but dropped passes and missed around the rim. Gaff needs to knock off the John Elway act with his passes, and trust his shot. He made several nice moves and then blew it. Jackson needs to remain our starting 3 from now through 2022. Should be set in sharpie. He has a nice looking shot and it’s going to fall. Once it does consistently he will be unstoppable with his ability to attack.

Great win. Badly needed boost for the guys, the staff and all of us.

C

Chief00

I thought Akok changed the game for us in several ways. Energy for sure. We have been listless for 2 games now and started that way again. But he also solves so many problems. With Whaley at 4 we lack shooting. With Martin rim protection. Akok is just a matchup problem for every team. He altered several shots when he was in. Making 3s is huge but so was that aggressive move to the hoop. Maybe we forget this guy started from day one as a freshman, and Bouknight didn’t.

Cole was huge today. I think Jackson takes some of the pressure off him by handling the role of passing the ball inside, where Cole struggles. 7 assists and much needed scoring. Martin played angry, and thats when he’s best. Whaley showed flashes of the good Whaley on D and the boards but dropped passes and missed around the rim. Gaff needs to knock off the John Elway act with his passes, and trust his shot. He made several nice moves and then blew it. Jackson needs to remain our starting 3 from now through 2022. Should be set in sharpie. He has a nice looking shot and it’s going to fall. Once it does consistently he will be unstoppable with his ability to attack.

Lots of good points and you can see the changing of the guard. The Dam Break recruits are gradually taking over.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney is getting close to figuring it out to be a consistent contributor. Today he was indecisive which lead to bullet passes at close range the big couldn’t catch. A simple pull-up or floater in those situations and we would be talking about a solid game he had. Mistakes that can be fixed. He will figure it out.

C

Chief00

I think Gaffney is close is getting close to figuring it out to be a consistent contributor. Today he was indecisive which lead to bullet passes at close range the big couldn’t catch. A simple pull-up or floater in those situations and we would be talking about a solid game he had. Mistakes that can be fixed. He will figure it out.
Chief could ‘t agree more. An enigma inside an enigma.

Reaction Score

I may be in the minority here but I think Whaley is a decent shooter and I wish he'd shoot a bit more when open.

C

Chief00

The boneyard deserves the game ball! Several things we have been calling for in regards to coaching decisions, lineups and some adjustments by the players happened today
LOL - imagine Hurley doing that rather than Cole. I liked the point Hurley made about more transition possessions rather than running sets. I think if this team had a push guard the other guys would run and fill the lanes and spot for the 3 point shot.

Reaction Score
LOL - imagine Hurley doing that rather than Cole. I liked the point Hurley made about more transition possessions rather than running sets. I think if this team had a push guard the other guys would run and fill the lanes and spot for the 3 point shot.
Sool coming!

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney is getting close to figuring it out to be a consistent contributor. Today he was indecisive which lead to bullet passes at close range the big couldn’t catch. A simple pull-up or floater in those situations and we would be talking about a solid game he had. Mistakes that can be fixed. He will figure it out.
Gaffney clearly has the talent. It's just a matter of decision-making/belief. I'd much rather have that than the opposite given the other guys on the roster.

We're going to be in good shape next year -- we'll have everyone who played today except Polley and Whaley, Akok back at full strength, and a pretty good recruiting class.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. RJ no doubt came up huge today, Don't like that UConn has to depend upon him as a PG because he is not that style of baller. He is a SG and effective as a SG. We saw what he could do when he catches and shoots vs when he tries to drive. Its a shame that Gaff is so inconsistent and lacks any confidence in his game. Can't wait til next season when we have a PG and RJ won't have to - he will score a lot more.
2. Again, the team came out with zero idea of how to play and it showed. The last 2 plus minutes were a mess. Does this team practice FT shooting in practice? Do they practice at beating a press? Some may feel that DH coached well today but I didn't see that. He stuck Akok in because he didn't really have a choice and he was fortunate Akok looked more than ready. This team is better when it plays big - it gives them an opportunity to play up tempo - something a lot of BYers have been begging for. The Time Out strategy sucked at best. DH was bailed out today.
3. Andre has great court vision and should see as much PT as possible. Martin is a bull and he has more positives than negatives. When Akok gets into game shape- watch out. Whalley is an asset on the defensive end and hopefully has found a little offense - this team would suffer if he did not play. Polley hit some 3's but that's what he is supposed to do, had a lucky rebound put back and again played atrocious defense - but is probably the best free throw shooter on the team.
4. I agree what Donny Marshall said and have said the same thing - this team does not require Bouk to be a good team. The talent is there but there is no cohesion, no consistent player rotation and needs a huge shot of confidence and self worth. The solution could be that if Bouk can't play, he doesn't practice with the 1st team. DH has to coach what there is not what he hopes to be.
A critical win in a few aspects but what would it look like if the St Johns and PC games were Ws as they should have been? Doesn't really get UConn off the bubble but it doesn't bury them either. I loved the way they played in the final 5 minutes of 1st half and a majority of the 2nd half - it was UConn basketball. Come out strong and finish strong - if they do that this team could make some real noise.

Reaction Score
The Whaley sanogo combo did not look great to me. If Carlton is out of the rotation I would like to see them stagger their minutes much more. Sharing less time I think will help them both.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Chief could ‘t agree more. An enigma inside an enigma.
However I remember clearly. Bouk and Gaff played together some games. Gaff would feed Bouk constantly. Slam Dunks from Bouk were amazing. Gaff had a lot to with it. I had no complaints watching Gaff last year. What happened during the off season is beyond me. So, if Gaff seems to have lost his confidence, maybe a big difference in playing time from last year? Competition?

Reaction Score
The Whaley sanogo combo did not look great to me. If Carlton is out of the rotation I would like to see them stagger their minutes much more. Sharing less time I think will help them both.
Love what both of them bring but that combo on the floor at the same time holds us back. With Jackson, Akok and (soon) Bouk back in the fold we need to go smaller.

Reaction Score
I agree with you 98.5% on everything you say most times. Today is no different! But here's how I feel:

Gaffney, has one great game and most thought having him start over RJ was the way. RJ and Martin have been the most consistent over last 6 games. Gaffney was averaging less then 2 made shots a game b4 the last game. Only Adams stayed starting too long for me. Ijs
To be fair Gaffney has looked like our best player the past 2 weeks of practice. He just needs things to click and translate into games.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don’t know if we played all that much faster just much more decisively on offense. Didn’t turn down good looks.
We attacked early in the clock instead of our recent trend of passing and weaving with no attempt to take the ball in the direction of the basket for 2/3 of the shot clock, then jacking an off balance or contested three with no-one but one big anywhere near the rim.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Chief sees Andre as a point forward type rather than a pure PG. But, definitely he can help advance the ball and create in the half court. As with others, when you do that, you also have the responsibility to be a good foul shooter under pressure.
Posters can say what they want about Gaffney, much of it is valid. The truth for 2 years, is when he’s gets minutes, somehow they tend to win more. Hurley has made that observation.
He has said he wants to model his game after Pistol Pete. I think the young man needs to study footage of Elgin Baylor -- the original point forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom