Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Xavier Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Akok and Jackson added energy to the squad, giving the team a good boost from the mid point in the first half. Cole and Martin gave UConn consistent production throughout. Cole was the MVP as a 6th man and had a great scoring game as Gaffney ran the point more. I remember after a recent game Hurley said they win the last two season when Gaffney runs things. We moved the ball on offense better than we have all year.

We started the game with me wondering if
there is a non shooting virus circulating in CT?
We lost the battle of the early 3’s. Do we even have a scouting report? Scant evidence of it when we leave good 3 point shooters wide open. Whatever we are doubling to or hedging to help - it’s not worth it. Throughout the game they leveraged mismatches to take the ball to the basket and create open shots or fouls.

While Whaley had some nice blocks (I counted about 4) he continues to treat the ball like it’s a hot potato bobbling it throughout the game. Most of the time it wasn’t a turnover but impacted the play. He just doesn’t play under control. Even Sanogo did not demonstrate his usual good hands today.

Gaffney reverted to playing within himself today. Rather than shooting he threw a few rushed turnover destine passes. Why can’t he stay confident? He missed at least 2 layups. Even after a recent 20 point game? Chief is stumped on that.

Cole played great coming off the bench giving us much needed points. Cole was clearly our MVP as a 6 man in a big road win with 24 points and a half dozen assists. Polley I thought played well given recent expectations - but now he needs to raise the bar as Cole did today.

The other lesson today is Hurley needs to lose the mindset we need to play slow in the 60’s. We can win in the mid to upper 70’s. - low 80’s.

Late game foul shooting needs lots of work. No excuse for what happened in the last minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The other lesson today is Hurley needs to lose the mindset we need to play slow in the 60’s. We can win in the mid to upper 70’s. - low 80’s.
Yes. Many posters have been saying that. Playing uptempo plays to the individual strengths of the players-these guys are athletic thoroughbreds, let them run. Also, I can guarantee you whenever the shot clock gets to below 10 seconds, UConn's PPP (point per possession) is most likely below 0.5. When a good makeable shot presents itself, take it, don't waste more time to take a much worse shot which is what happens a lot with this offense.

Reaction Score
Just stop. Gaffney didn’t run anything today. Cole went for 24 points and 7 assists with the ball in his hands the whole way. This was a Bazz-level performance from RJ and Gaffney had nothing to do with that.

Reaction Score
Akok and Jackson added energy to the squad, giving the team a good boost from the mid point in the first half. Cole and Martin gave UConn consistent production throughout. Cole was the MVP as a 6th man and had a great scoring game as Gaffney ran the point more. I remember after a recent game Hurley said they win the last two season when Gaffney runs things.

We lost the battle of the early 3’s. Do we even have a scouting report? Scant evidence of it when we leave good 3 point shooters wide open. Whatever we are doubling to or hedging to help - it’s not worth it. Throughout the game they leveraged mismatches to take the ball to the basket and create open shots or fouls for them.

While Whaley had some nice blocks (I counted about 4) he continues to treat the ball like it’s a hot potato bobbling it throughout the game. Most of the time it wasn’t a turnover but impacted the play. He just doesn’t play under control. Even Sanogo did not demonstrate his usual good hands today.

Gaffney reverted to playing within himself today. Rather than shooting he threw a few rushed turnover destine passes. Why can’t he stay confident? He missed at least 2 layups. Even after a recent 20 point game? Chief is stumped on that.

Cole played great coming off the bench giving us much needed points. Cole was clearly our MVP as a 6 man in a big road win with 24 points and a half dozen assists. Polley I thought played well given recent expectations - but now he needs to raise the bar as Cole did today.

Late game foul shooting needs lots of work. No excuse for what happened in the last minute.
As we have discussed previously over the last couple of weeks- looks like Polley took our advice and actually pumped faked & drove it to the rim & even pumped fake & got an open 3- even when he doesn’t finish at the rim it just makes him harder to guard & overall makes the offense tougher to handle. Very pleased with Polley’s performance.

Reaction Score
Akok and Jackson added energy to the squad, giving the team a good boost from the mid point in the first half. Cole and Martin gave UConn consistent production throughout. Cole was the MVP as a 6th man and had a great scoring game as Gaffney ran the point more. I remember after a recent game Hurley said they win the last two season when Gaffney runs things.

We lost the battle of the early 3’s. Do we even have a scouting report? Scant evidence of it when we leave good 3 point shooters wide open. Whatever we are doubling to or hedging to help - it’s not worth it. Throughout the game they leveraged mismatches to take the ball to the basket and create open shots or fouls for them.

While Whaley had some nice blocks (I counted about 4) he continues to treat the ball like it’s a hot potato bobbling it throughout the game. Most of the time it wasn’t a turnover but impacted the play. He just diesnt play under control. Even Sanogo did not demonstrate his usual good hands today.

Gaffney reverted to playing within himself today. Rather than shooting he threw a few rushed turnover destine passes. Why can’t he stay confident? He missed at least 2 layups. Even after a 20 point game? Even Chief is stumped on that.

Cole played great coming off the bench giving us much needed points. Cole was clearly our MVP as a 6 man in a big road win. Polley I thought played well as well given recent expectations - but now he needs to raise the bar as Cole did today.

I agree with you 98.5% on everything you say most times. Today is no different! But here's how I feel:

Gaffney, has one great game and most thought having him start over RJ was the way. RJ and Martin have been the most consistent over last 6 games. Gaffney was averaging less then 2 made shots a game b4 the last game. Only Adams stayed starting too long for me. Ijs

C

Chief00

I agree with you 98.5% on everything you say most times. Today is no different! But here's how I feel:

Gaffney, has one great game and most thought having him start over RJ was the way. RJ and Martin have been the most consistent over last 6 games. Gaffney was averaging less then 2 made shots a game b4 the last game. Only Adams stayed starting too long for me. Ijs
I think with Gaffney being in there, what it allows Cole to do is key. Chief also thinks the ball movement should keep improving with Jackson establishing himself. He shot poorly today but can give us a lot of dimensions.

Reaction Score
Yes. Many posters have been saying that. Playing uptempo plays to the individual strengths of the players-these guys are athletic thoroughbreds, let them run. Also, I can guarantee you whenever the shot clock gets to below 10 seconds, UConn's PPP (point per possession) is most likely below 0.5. When a good makeable shot presents itself, take it, don't waste more time to take a much worse shot which is what happens a lot with this offense.
I don’t know if we played all that much faster just much more decisively on offense. Didn’t turn down good looks.

Reaction Score
Akok, Polley, and Cole were the answers today. Akok and AJacks just naturally push tempo and speed the game up for us. It helps everyone's game. Xavier had no answer because they expected us to slow it down and play half court.

Bouk needs to be back next game and we are back in business boys. A lineup of Bouk, AJacks, Polley, Akok is a scary talented group.

PS: Sanogo needs to be on the bench moving forward. He is a 15 minute guy not a starter yet. Whaley much better at the 5.

#PlayFast

C

Chief00

I don’t know if we played all that much faster just much more decisively on offense. Didn’t turn down good looks.
Which led to less late shot clock possessions but we still need progress there.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Gaffney second-guessing himself whenever he gets in the pain. If he can get out of his own head he would be a dramatically better player.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Akok, Polley, and Cole were the answers today. Akok and AJacks just naturally push tempo and speed the game up for us. It helps everyone's game. Xavier had no answer because they expected us to slow it down and play half court.

Bouk needs to be back next game and we are back in business boys. A lineup of Bouk, AJacks, Polley, Akok is a scary talented group.

PS: Sanogo needs to be on the bench moving forward. He is a 15 minute guy not a starter yet. Whaley much better at the 5.

#PlayFast
“Do you believe in magic…“

No.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Was nice to see Polley being much more active than in previous games. Made a couple threes, and drove it in the lane a couple times. Although he didn't find much success driving, its still important for him to do that to keep defense more honest. Once bouk comes back, polley should have an easier time getting open looks.

Reaction Score
some thoughts:

* we need shooting at the 4. noticeable difference when akok came in vs. the starting lineup (whaley/sanogo pairing). once whaley came back in he started taking that open 3 look they were giving him, we need that to open up the offense.

* we have no true point guard. cole is better as a sg. gaffney needs to do some soul searching on the bench. i think andre is our best option here as a true playmaker.

* our best lineup is andre/cole/martin/akok/sanogo. this provides playmaking from andre, shooting on the wings, scoring from sanogo down low. sub whaley for sanogo at the 5 for defense when needed.

Reaction Score
Akok and Jackson added energy to the squad, giving the team a good boost from the mid point in the first half. Cole and Martin gave UConn consistent production throughout. Cole was the MVP as a 6th man and had a great scoring game as Gaffney ran the point more. I remember after a recent game Hurley said they win the last two season when Gaffney runs things. We moved the ball on offense better than we have all year.

We lost the battle of the early 3’s. Do we even have a scouting report? Scant evidence of it when we leave good 3 point shooters wide open. Whatever we are doubling to or hedging to help - it’s not worth it. Throughout the game they leveraged mismatches to take the ball to the basket and create open shots or fouls.

I don't understand the praise for Gaffney but the rest is fine. Gaffney looked lost all game. Cold did have 6 assists and should have had 7 or 8 if the big men could convert.

Reaction Score
I can not agree with you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger