Chief’s Briefs - WS | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - WS

C

Chief00

We had 12 steals tonight, which is more than we had in any game last year or this year. The zone wasn't passive.

Shamet was 5 for 6 from three and Reeves was 3 for 4. Sorry, you just can’t allow that and win. The team had 11 or 12 threes. Most were open looks in the same cracks in the zone.
The team had one assist other than Adams and Larrier. Adams had more rebounds than any of our “aggressive” Bigs.

Reaction Score
Shamet was 5 for 6 from three and Reeves was 3 for 4. Sorry, you just can’t allow that and win. The team had 11 or 12 threes. Most were open looks in the same cracks in the zone.
The team had one assist other than Adams and Larrier. Adams had more rebounds than any of our “aggressive” Bigs.

So a guy shooting 53% on 3's and a guy who shot 50% on 3's last year both made most of their 3's and you stand by your guns that the zone that forced 12 steals (more than Syracuse had against us) was passive. Got it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wichita St. scores 1.16 points per possession adjusted on the season. They scored 1.03 tonight. They would be expected to score 81 points on 70 possessions but instead scored 72. On average we've held opp O who score 1.07 to 0.98 on the season, difference of 0.9. Tonight's difference was 0.13 so our defense tonight was 0.04 points per possession better than usual.

We scored 0.89 points per possession tonight and 1.02 adjusted on the season. We scored 19 points off turnovers tonight, so we scored 1.11 points on possessions after a turnover. We normally force steals on 8.9% of possessions but tonight was 17%. We would've expected 6 steals at our normal rate, so 6 extra steals at 1.11 points per possessions means we gained about 7 points on offense from that zone D. Take away those 6 possessions and 7 points, and our offense scored 52 points on 64 possessions, good for 0.81 points per possession.

Tell me more about how our passive zone gave them wide open looks from cracks in the zone constantly

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

We've got one aggressive big. Who doesn't know where to be yet. And for some inexplicable reason, he only got 16 minutes. I guess DO needed to get some burn.

Reaction Score
Might aas well play that white kid who does all of the high fiving during the players announcement.

C

Chief00

Wichita St. scores 1.16 points per possession adjusted on the season. They scored 1.03 tonight. They would be expected to score 81 points on 70 possessions but instead scored 72. On average we've held opp O who score 1.07 to 0.98 on the season, difference of 0.9. Tonight's difference was 0.13 so our defense tonight was 0.04 points per possession better than usual.

We scored 0.89 points per possession tonight and 1.02 adjusted on the season. We scored 19 points off turnovers tonight, so we scored 1.11 points on possessions after a turnover. We normally force steals on 8.9% of possessions but tonight was 17%. We would've expected 6 steals at our normal rate, so 6 extra steals at 1.11 points per possessions means we gained about 7 points on offense from that zone D. Take away those 6 possessions and 7 points, and our offense scored 52 points on 64 possessions, good for 0.81 points per possession.

Tell me more about how our passive zone gave them wide open looks from cracks in the zone constantly

Man you are really lost in the weeds - they drained threes on us - especially at the big moments.

Memo to Auror / we got beat!! Back in the Calhoun days you would have been literally thrown out of his office trying to sugar coat a loss like this.

Reaction Score
Man you are really lost in the weeds - they drained threes on us - especially at the big moments.

Memo to Auror / we got beat!! Back in the Calhoun days you would have been literally thrown out of his office trying to sugar coat a loss like this.

When it's cold out, I like to drunk stat.

Our defense and effort on that end was not the issue yesterday, them making big 3's at bad times included. Obviously would prefer that didn't happen, but our D was actually quite good yesterday. They are a great offensive team. We held them to essentially a tie for their lowest point per possession all season. If you can't see that, you might want to take a peek under these weeds.

Our offense continues to be an absolute trainwreck.

pj

Reaction Score

Our defense and effort on that end was not the issue yesterday, them making big 3's at bad times included. Obviously would prefer that didn't happen, but our D was actually quite good yesterday. They are a great offensive team. We held them to essentially a tie for their lowest point per possession all season. If you can't see that, you might want to take a peek under these weeds.

I'm glad to see the defense improving. Defense is effort and teamwork, a failure to defend is a clear sign of bad coaching. Offense benefits from skills and talent that we don't have. With only 3 offensively skilled players, and all of those limited, we're going to struggle. To me the defense and rebounding are the hallmarks of effort and coaching, and I want to see those consistently improve over the season. Let's win ugly.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Chief, Auror is not trying to sugarcoat anything. Auror is saying the zone UConn played yesterday was more effective than the D they have been playing all year. He correctly stated the increase in steals and the increase in buckets we scored off of them. Does the zone give up more threes, maybe? Regardless I expect to see more zone going forward simply because it slows opposing offenses down and KO realizes the best chances for this UConn to win are games played in the 60 point range. There are a couple of ways to improve the zone. One is not to fly to the 3pt shooter and try to block the shot. UConn did it numerous times and Spanarkel mentioned it on the broadcast. The best way is to come out under control and get a hand in the face of the shooter The other thing is to bench Anderson (look at his stat line in 32 minutes). That would by default make the back line taller and hopefully help the defensive rebounding (look at WS off. rebounding stat). Final thing TL cannot play 39 minutes and get 3 rebounds.

pj

Reaction Score
Chief, Auror is not trying to sugarcoat anything. Auror is saying the zone UConn played yesterday was more effective than the D they have been playing all year. He correctly stated the increase in steals and the increase in buckets we scored off of them. Does the zone give up more threes, maybe? Regardless I expect to see more zone going forward simply because it slows opposing offenses down and KO realizes the best chances for this UConn to win are games played in the 60 point range. There are a couple of ways to improve the zone. One is not to fly to the 3pt shooter and try to block the shot. UConn did it numerous times and Spanarkel mentioned it on the broadcast. The best way is to come out under control and get a hand in the face of the shooter The other thing is to bench Anderson (look at his stat line in 32 minutes). That would by default make the back line taller and hopefully help the defensive rebounding (look at WS off. rebounding stat). Final thing TL cannot play 39 minutes and get 3 rebounds.

They have to learn how to make the zone work. More length on the perimeter would be helpful -- play the forwards more and have Larrier or Polley defending on the perimeter rather than Anderson is a logical step, given how little Anderson provides offensively.

But, I like that KO is switching something up. He needs to figure out how to make things work better. This was a good start.

Reaction Score
Chief, Auror is not trying to sugarcoat anything. Auror is saying the zone UConn played yesterday was more effective than the D they have been playing all year.
Casuals like Chief struggle with that kind of nuance & understanding of the game to be fair.

Reaction Score
In my opinion it boils down to this: just like Arizona... we were outgunned and outschemed the last 5 minutes.

We played well for 35

C

Chief00

I agree our offense is a train wreck and therefore the margin for error on defense is incredibly low.
Mr Statistics, what percentage of the time does a team lose when they hit 12 or more threes and their opponent doesn’t.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I had a @Chief00 kinda Christmas. Received a Polo set of eau de toillettes. This was one of them.

26168178_10155280316779639_8382779786474535042_n.jpg

Weird to be thinking of some dude on the internet during a Christmas Eve gift reception. Oh well. Chiefin' ain't easy.

C

Chief00

Casuals like Chief struggle with that kind of nuance & understanding of the game to be fair.
But we did not switch up defenses - we stayed in a zone until 7:30 was left in the game - we switched to man and got a couple stops before a back door where Carlton was caught unprepared. Then we went back to a zone and got a golden shower of threes on our heads.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No, but Adams, Vital, and Larrier atleast belong. Assuming Larrier is the three, we get literally nothing from our 4 and 5.
Vital only belongs if he loses the selfish game. He's got something to offer for sure but as long as he thinks he's Adams or larrier he's not helping us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom