Chief’s Briefs - Villanova Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Villanova Edition

Reaction Score
Great win tonight, with a great crowd. This is the time the team should celebrate, party and enjoy yourselves. Then remember the good time you had and get back to work so you can repeat the cycle.

What is our winning % if Tyler hits 3 or more threes? I bet it’s pretty good.

When you shoot foul shots better than Villanova 81% to 79% that’s a very good sign. We also stayed close on threes 44% to 41%.

15 assists and 8 turnovers - almost achieving the 2.0 assists to turnover ratio that helps you win. Jackson had over half (8) our assists.

I think we had a very balance box score however Jackson and Martin combined for 26% shooting. That needs to improve for the starting lineup to consistently work. At the ood I g and start of the second half.

Cole and Sanogo did we we expect them to do and their consistency is increasing.
Chief though Andre did a great defensive job on Gillespie and others. Then throw in getting almost half our assists - he had a really good game without scoring much.

No one in college uses their off arm to protect the ball better than Gillespie despite his turnovers tonight. Refs permitting and they were.

UConn had a short leash today due to the Bouknight incident and Gampel Security not providing the expected support the refs expect. Given that Danny should have been more cautious but somehow it became part of a winning formula for tonight. But, probably not a repeatable template.

Let’s give Whaley credit - shot 80% and displayed a lot of energy on defense.

Reaction Score
Yeah, no. Security was fine. I don't want to hear anymore how the technicals JC got were so strategic anymore.

We are living with the new paradigm. UConn is under the microscope.
Early in the game one ref instructed the bench who were merely standing and cheering in a fairly normal way to move back and there was literally no place they could go without knocking their chairs over.

Reaction Score
Once again Sanogo was 25 feet from the hoop. As usual it creates mismatches against us and covering guards in the open court got to tire out a 240 pound Big. I would rather Adama focus his energy on finishing his post shots and rebounds.
Sure, it creates an occasional opportunity, but Sanogo is so good at help-and-recover that he forces the other team to detour. He's a disrupter in a way that is different than what most bigs can do. He's tough to prepare for, which will play well in the NCAAT. How many times did Gillespe back off after a drive, and even some outside shots? When Sanogo is not in foul trouble, he brings a truly unique element to our defense. I really love his game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sure, it creates an occasional opportunity, but Sanogo is so good at help-and-recover that he forces the other team to detour. He's a disrupter in a way that is different than what most bigs can do. He's tough to prepare for, which will play well in the NCAAT. How many times did Gillespe back off after a drive, and even some outside shots? When Sanogo is not in foul trouble, he brings a truly unique element to our defense. I really love his game.
But, isn’t that (help and recover from 3 point zip code) why he too often gets in foul trouble? Is that activity the best use of his energy? Would his energy be better used not being tired when finishing shots? Or intimidating the driver from finishing? Or just physically being a load that wears the other team down inside, where more physicality is allowed.
When he is on a guard, who is on his man?

Villanova shot 44% from 3 and good three point shooters like the defense in the no man’s recovery land.

Reaction Score
He does cross the border a bit, and I wouldn't mind DH pulling on the reigns a little, but I think it's worth to get in the head of shooters and it's so disruptive. I also rarely see a play where the pass goes to his man in that situation, partly because of the angle he takes. I think this will play well in the tournament against non-BE teams.

However, I would like to see more help on dribble drives by everyone. Too often, we get beat by a dribbler and no one helps out. Maybe that's part of DH's foul management strategy, but I hate seeing uncontested layups.

Reaction Score
But, isn’t that (help and recover from 3 point zip code) why he too often gets in foul trouble? Is that activity the best use of his energy? Would his energy be better used not being tired when finishing shots? Or intimidating the driver from finishing? Or just physically being a load that wears the other team down inside, where more physicality is allowed.
When he is on a guard, who is on his man?

Villanova shot 44% from 3 and good three point shooters like the defense in the no man’s recovery land.
We're 27 games into the season and he's been in foul trouble in only a few games and almost every time it's been touch fouls under the basket, so no. He's also averaging 29 minutes a game so again, not an issue where he's becoming tired. These complaints are just not rooted in reality, you've made up your mind on the hard hedge and are just seeing things that aren't there

Reaction Score
Whaley was incredible last night.
Whaley was the X factor, silent but deadly. When he scores 10 we can play with the best. Polly as well.

The Nova backdowns became breakdowns, passes out, no room at the inn! It looks like the Hurley adjustment were what the Doctor ordered and worked. Nova is a wonderful team, seven solid players, they are a consistent high-quality brand on the national scene.

Just keep our focus, one game at a time.

Poe

Reaction Score
Adama looking more and more like Emeka every game. His footwork, hands and patience when he gets the ball are incredible. His passing out of the post still needs work but definite improvement between the beginning of the season and now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Adama looking more and more like Emeka every game. His footwork, hands and patience when he gets the ball are incredible. His passing out of the post still needs work but definite improvement between the beginning of the season and now.

Three dimes last night. I'll take that from him every game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whaley was incredible last night.
Whaley was the X factor, silent but deadly. When he scores 10 we can play with the best. Polly as well.

The Nova backdowns became breakdowns, passes out, no room at the inn! It looks like the Hurley adjustment were what the Doctor ordered and worked. Nova is a wonderful team, seven solid players, they are a consistent high-quality brand on the national scene.

Just keep our focus, one game at a time.
Great game. Whaley needs to stop making up his mind who he wants to get the ball to. He misses many open players. Ends up hesitating and showing where he wants to deliver the ball.

That 3 Whaley took and made early on is the shot I've been wanting him to take all season. Feet set, no hesitation, fire away. He should be good for 1-2 of them a game with the way teams try to double Sanogo or clog the lane to shut down players cutting to the hoop.

Reaction Score
We're 27 games into the season and he's been in foul trouble in only a few games and almost every time it's been touch fouls under the basket, so no. He's also averaging 29 minutes a game so again, not an issue where he's becoming tired. These complaints are just not rooted in reality, you've made up your mind on the hard hedge and are just seeing things that aren't there
I totally disagree with your assessment. It’s not that he fouled out - that’s the wrong metric. It is until recently he had been averaging 27 minutes a game when he should have been averaging 33-36 because of those quick outside fouls. Last night we saw what can be done in under a minute. So 6-9 minutes a game is huge; especially for your best player. Never mind he often looks tired late and that reflects in his shot. But, good foul shot last night when it counted.

You must be a little dude because you don’t seem to grasp how difficult it is for a 6-10 240 pd Big defending a point guard in open court.

Reaction Score
Three dimes last night. I'll take that from him every game.
Agree, Adama’s passing has improved the last couple games. He’s a bright, hard working kid, five years into a game that he’s learning in his second language (English) rather than French.

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. Was giving me chills thinking back to how dominate he was and what Adama can become.

Reaction Score
I totally disagree with your assessment. It’s not that he fouled out - that’s the wrong metric. It is until recently he had been averaging 27 minutes a game when he should have been averaging 33-36 because of those quick outside fouls. Last night we saw what can be done in under a minute. So 6-9 minutes a game is huge; especially for your best player. Never mind he often looks tired late and that reflects in his shot. But, good foul shot last night when it counted.

You must be a little dude because you don’t seem to grasp how difficult it is for a 6-10 240 pd Big defending a point guard in open court.
I didn't say fouled out, he has not been benched for foul trouble like you're saying outside of 2-3 games. And in those games it's been touch fouls under the basket. He's worked really hard on his defense and it's a huge improvement. Last year it was an issue where he was picking up fouls outside the 3 point line, it's a non issue this year and has been a huge part of our good defense.

I'm 6'5 250 and incredibly slow, so believe me I know all about wanting to not end up on the perimeter trying to stop a guard lol

Reaction Score
Agree, Adama’s passing has improved the last couple games. He’s a bright, hard working kid, five years into a game that he’s learning in his second language (English) rather than French.

Actually, English is his fourth language, and he only started speaking it after coming to the US at age 15.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Best game I’ve seen UCONN play defensively in years. As aggressive as they played, not to get into foul trouble was impressive.

Offensively they are much better when they have some freedom. I think Hurley tends to call too many plays, Jackson flourished in the open court.

Young did a great job by not subbing too much and drawing up some good half court plays at the end.

It’s clear the players love Hurley by Cole’s comments post game. They could have beat anyone in the country last night. Great win!

Reaction Score

You’re wrong on this Chief….move on

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom