Chief’s Briefs - USF Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - USF Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Chief is most likely right to be skeptical on that front. Nonetheless, having a good teacher as coach can make a dent.
Chief believes good coaching can make a difference if a guy is coachable, studied film, etc. Ben Gordon may not come to mind as someone who would study film but he actually did and it wasn’t as easy then as it is now to do that. So it all depends on how much Sid wants to be good and is willing to work at it.
Hilton was a skinny guy who lifted himself into the first round. So that’s an example of how he can get stronger.

Reaction Score
While he overpenetrates at times, AG is the only guy we have who can break his opponent down off the dribble and create offense or pass to a teammate.
And that is why we need another PG. No Jalen, no Smith next year and the questionable health of Gilbert. Everyone thinks we need a strong big and we do but we will be in trouble without another true PG. Expecting Gaffney who is really a combo guard to take that role as a freshman may be too optimistic.

C

Chief00

And that is why we need another PG. No Jalen, no Smith next year and the questionable health of Gilbert. Everyone thinks we need a strong big and we do but we will be in trouble without another true PG. Expecting Gaffney who is really a combo guard to take that role as a freshman may be too optimistic.
I agree, Gaffney is a candidate. He certainly has the BB IQ and I think he dribbles and creates well - it’s always tough to tell though because you don’t see the on the ball defense in prep that you see at the D1 college level.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes, you're right. Jalen's great talent has always been getting to the rim, and when he's on is a great shooter, but as a floor general his handle has always bothered me.

He has a loose handle no doubt, but when he's on the ball he avgs between 5 and 6 assists. That's pretty good. More than capable of creating for others.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Chief believes good coaching can make a difference if a guy is coachable, studied film, etc. Ben Gordon may not come to mind as someone who would study film but he actually did and it wasn’t as easy then as it is now to do that. So it all depends on how much Sid wants to be good and is willing to work at it.
Hilton was a skinny guy who lifted himself into the first round. So that’s an example of how he can get stronger.

I don't think we'll see Sid fill out all that much in college. I think he's got the Lamb/Brimah metabolism, where he fills out in his late 20s. But he can get a lot stronger in the meantime.

Hurley's been on him about changing his attitude to the kind of work you are describing. He might get there. Wonder how long it will take for the light to go on (if it even does).

C

Chief00

I don't think we'll see Sid fill out all that much in college. I think he's got the Lamb/Brimah metabolism, where he fills out in his late 20s. But he can get a lot stronger in the meantime.

Hurley's been on him about changing his attitude to the kind of work you are describing. He might get there. Wonder how long it will take for the light to go on (if it even does).

One thing I am fairly certain about is that that “hard worker” is one of Coach Hurley’s recruiting requirements. If a guy isn’t a hard worker, he is unlikely to be recruited and if a mistake is made I can’t invision it lasting 4 years - LOL.

Reaction Score
Good question - True, playing AG has prevented games from getting even uglier. But, what’s the upside other than making the game a little more watchable and pulling out a win not a loss against USF? Was Tarin Smith being our primary ball handler a concession to that yesterday, so AG would take less punishment?
Perhaps, if he stays healthy he will have overcome psychological hurdles but Chief still would have like to see another several months in the gym healing and making the shoulder stronger. With the limited team upside this season, to Chief the risk/rewards not there to play him.
Chief misses the point. These minutes are invaluable for AG, not the scores of games. If he finishes the season healthy. Knock wood. He will return as an experienced and confident player. An accomplished leader who has been in battle and proved his toughness, not just to his teammates, but to himself.

Sitting him would have put a question mark over this team for 10 months. It would have given rise to months of senseless speculation. It would have put a negative over the team.

Next year, this will be AG's team, starting the day the season ends. Putting him on the court is the runway to launch a post season of optimism. Not to mention that it has given AG meaningful experience. Of building chemistry with the returning players. It will pay dividends. It was the right move.

C

Chief00

Chief misses the point. These minutes are invaluable for AG, not the scores of games. If he finishes the season healthy. Knock wood. He will return as an experienced and confident player. An accomplished leader who has been in battle and proved his toughness, not just to his teammates, but to himself.

Sitting him would have put a question mark over this team for 10 months. It would have given rise to months of senseless speculation. It would have put a negative over the team.

Next year, this will be AG's team, starting the day the season ends. Putting him on the court is the runway to launch a post season of optimism. Not to mention that it has given AG meaningful experience. Of building chemistry with the returning players. It will pay dividends. It was the right move.

I hope you are right.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I had Sid's frame in high school: 6'2", 150 pounds. My suggestion to him would be to do what I did: start drinking beer 3 or 4 times a week. I was 230 by the end of sophomore year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I had Sid's frame in high school: 6'2", 150 pounds. My suggestion to him would be to do what I did: start drinking beer 3 or 4 times a week. I was 230 by the end of sophomore year.

Probably could box out pretty well at that point too I reckon.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One thing I am fairly certain about is that that “hard worker” is one of Coach Hurley’s recruiting requirements. If a guy isn’t a hard worker, he is unlikely to be recruited and if a mistake is made I can’t invision it lasting 4 years - LOL.

That's why Brendan Adams is here. A number of people on the board are questioning that scholarship, but it makes perfect sense if you don't look at it in a vacuum.

Reaction Score
That's why Brendan Adams is here. A number of people on the board are questioning that scholarship, but it makes perfect sense if you don't look at it in a vacuum.
I'm not questioning the scholarship and believe Adams will be able to contribute at some point. He has to get better with the ball and improve his decisions. He may not have the athleticism to start but he could help down the road.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm not questioning the scholarship and believe Adams will be able to contribute at some point. He has to get better with the ball and improve his decisions. He may not have the athleticism to start but he could help down the road.

Definitely has a lot to work on. That's OK. I like his size. I'm hoping he can eventually be a knockdown three pt shooter off the bench (even tho it looks a little wonky).

Reaction Score

Agree 100%. If we shut him down this year - it wud linger the entire summer, plus AG is getting a 7-8 game head start these last games towards building chemistry with our guys for next year. Invaluable.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Rico who was your trainer, that's an amazing transformation.
Hopefully Sid will get into one of the better guard camps over the summer. His frame dictates that he will need solid guard skills in order to thrive collegiately and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom