Chief’s Briefs - USF Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - USF Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

In today’s college game who would have thought we could go 0-15 from the three line and still win a game against a comparable conference team? We did win, but I wouldn’t want to take this challenge on again.

Interestingly, they saw we were shooting so poorly from the outside, USF played zone much of the last 10 minutes.

The positive was Josh Carlton - Wow. Now I know why Danny started Josh over Cobb. I believe Josh led UConn in Points, Rebounds, and Assists. The only negative was 5 turnovers. He finished strong on his moves, something Chief has harped on all season.

Let’s review some of the seasons themes.
- Did we switch better on screens than earlier this season - Yes
- Did we set screens on the blocks? Surprisingly, we did for the first time after Chief and others recalled how the 1999 team did that. Indeed, these screens opened up some inside shots and also gave us open 3’s that we missed. I hope we do more of these screens.
- Did we improve on inbounds plays? The answer is no and there were a few that no one moved. I don’t understand? When we did move, no one cut sharpe or hard. As a team we need to focus on this.
- Did we deliver the ball to a teammate in the triple threat position? Sometimes but not usually. Still too many passes down by the ankles inside and where a 3 shooter has to move left or right or look and reach down. Our shooting is bad enough without creating this handicap.
- Did we reduce turnovers? I think so to about 10. A big improvement from our 20 turnover games.
- We still gave up too many offensive rebounds and over-all they held a sizable rebounding edge.
- Thankfully, we played good defense throughout the game limiting USF to 33% FG shooting and much worse from the 3 line. We are playing the switches better and going underneath the screen guy without getting burnt on the outside shot.

Whatever the discipline motive was behind benching CV at the start of the game, the results haven’t worked. His productivity was way down today. Sometimes a coach just has to discipline a guy but unless it’s imperative, he needs to start.

Chief noticed we played AG off the ball a lot today. Maybe it was an attempt to conserve his energy and free up his offense. Worth a try, but the results were poor. Gilbert shot poorly as did Tarin. Josh led the team in assists, our assists to turnover ratio was under 1 and no guard had more than 2 assists.

Polley, Smith and Vital all shot FT’s well and that was clearly a factor. We also avoided sending the opponents to the line too often and we had a narrow foul shot advantage. A key metric for us winning games.

I will say Whaley did some positive things today in his brief playing time. He played better than Cobb.

My final observation was about the offense/defense substituting between Sid and Polley. When Sid fouled the 3 point shooter late in the game that was evidence in some respects it didn’t work.

We can get into some other topics later in the thread: the recruits at the game - Ray Allen (great speech) - how what we do today impacts next season. However, I wanted to cover the game first.

Reaction Score
Carlton played well. USF doubled him slot in the 2nd half. Hopefully the recruit Cliff O. observed that Carlton needs help underneath. CV does not look happy playing the 6th man role. The game looked ugly but a win is a win. Let's win the next two!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Solid analysis Chief. Whatever the reasoning with Vital it has made him a less effective player. We can’t afford it. Smith isn’t a shooter and we aren’t helping the team. We miss his rebounding as well.

The passing was good at times but at other times it feels forced. Giving a ball back without first seeing if you can do something with it is pointless. It doesn’t stress the defense. Polley is a big offender on that. Get in triple threat position before passing. Force someone to guard you.

Josh is showing greater physicality than at any time prior. It changes his game completely. Now if we can just get that from someone else. USF is physical at every spot on the floor. We just don’t have that.

Alterique is our best player and was brilliant at times. The next step for him is to be aware of when the team needs him to put them on his back. There were stretches where he needed to take charge and didn’t. That will come as he grows into a leader. He has the ability.

C

Chief00

Solid analysis Chief. Whatever the reasoning with Vital it has made him a less effective player. We can’t afford it. Smith isn’t a shooter and we aren’t helping the team. We miss his rebounding as well.

The passing was good at times but at other times it feels forced. Giving a ball back without first seeing if you can do something with it is pointless. It doesn’t stress the defense. Polley is a big offender on that. Get in triple threat position before passing. Force someone to guard you.

Josh is showing greater physicality than at any time prior. It changes his game completely. Now if we can just get that from someone else. USF is physical at every spot on the floor. We just don’t have that.

Alterique is our best player and was brilliant at times. The next step for him is to be aware of when the team needs him to put them on his back. There were stretches where he needed to take charge and didn’t. That will come as he grows into a leader. He has the ability.
So true, while Tarin Smith did hit his foul shots today, at times it seemed like he was taking on the team lead position.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's rather unbelievable that Gilbert is our only real ballhandler. When pressured Smith and Vital seem to wilt and put out their left hand to ward off the defender.

Why? Our other one is injured. And those latter two have never been consistent with that.

Reaction Score
Sometimes it looks like our guys have oven mitts for hands, can't receive passes or secure a rebound without bobbling the ball lmao

Reaction Score
Sid Wilson is a coaches nightmare. On the one hand, he has off the charts athleticism you can't teach. On the other hand, he is a tremendous liability on both ends of the floor with a zero basketball IQ. That 3 shot foul towards the end of the game was inexcusable.

Reaction Score
- We have no really good 3 point shooters but Polley needs to attempt more than 1. If he wants to be a staple in the rotation next year then over next 7 months he needs to work on getting open & taking/making quicker 3's.

- Sid could become a lesser Stanley Robinson if we're lucky, an imperfect but consistent athletic player that contributes as a 3rd/4th option with occasional greatness. That said he has a lot of work to do in the off season.

- AG & Josh are 1 & 1A the rest of the year & major factors next year if we hope to do anything, everyone else needs to be looking over their shoulders at what's coming.

- 7 man rotation like today pretty much is it for this roster, don't need any more Cobb.

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
In today’s college game who would have thought we could go 0-15 from the three line and still win a game against a comparable conference team? We did win, but I wouldn’t want to take this challenge on again.

Interestingly, they saw we were shooting so poorly from the outside, USF played zone much of the last 10 minutes.

The positive was Josh Carlton - Wow. Now I know why Danny started Josh over Cobb. I believe Josh led UConn in Points, Rebounds, and Assists. The only negative was 5 turnovers. He finished strong on his moves, something Chief has harped on all season.

- Did we set screens on the blocks? Surprisingly, we did for the first time after Chief and others recalled how the 1999 team did that. Indeed, these screens opened up some inside shots and also gave us open 3’s that we missed. I hope we do more of these screens.
- Did we improve on inbounds plays? The answer is no and there were a few that no one moved. I don’t understand? When we did move, no one cut sharpe or hard. As a team we need to focus on this.
- Did we deliver the ball to a teammate in the triple threat position? Sometimes but not usually. Still too many passes down by the ankles inside and where a 3 shooter has to move left or right or look and reach down. Our shooting is bad enough without creating this handicap.
- Did we reduce turnovers? I think so to about 10. A big improvement from our 20 turnover games.
- We still gave up too many offensive rebounds and over-all they held a sizable rebounding edge.
- Thankfully, we played good defense throughout the game limiting USF to 33% FG shooting and much worse from the 3 line. We are playing the switches better and going underneath the screen guy without getting burnt on the outside shot.

Whatever the discipline motive was behind benching CV at the start of the game, the results haven’t worked. His productivity was way down today. Sometimes a coach just has to discipline a guy but unless it’s imperative, he needs to start.

Chief noticed we played AG off the ball a lot today. Maybe it was an attempt to conserve his energy and free up his offense. Worth a try, but the results were poor. Gilbert shot poorly as did Tarin. Josh led the team in assists, our assists to turnover ratio was under 1 and no guard had more than 2 assists.

Polley, Smith and Vital all shot FT’s well and that was clearly a factor. We also avoided sending the opponents to the line too often and we had a narrow foul shot advantage. A key metric for us winning games.

I will say Whaley did some positive things today in his brief playing time. He played better than Cobb.

My final observation was about the offense/defense substituting between Sid and Polley. When Sid fouled the 3 point shooter late in the game that was evidence in some respects it didn’t work.

We can get into some other topics later in the thread: the recruits at the game - Ray Allen (great speech) - how what we do today impacts next season. However, I wanted to cover the game first.
It's obvious Josh played well.However, he did look like Tacko Fall fumbling the ball way to many times. I didn't know CV was under a discipline thing. For awhile I thought Hurley was watching next years team. CV not included. IT Was nice to see the win, but to be honest, I wasn't overly excited. Carlton made some great moves and challenged the rebound. Why not all the time. No consistency at all in any of the players through out the year. Great read though. Let's see what happens in the Tournament. Announcer said Adams was being saved for the tournament.

Reaction Score
Chief (or anybody, really), do you have any insight about the recruits' perceptions of today? I love that we brought so many here today with a Hall of Famer and great representative of the program in the house.

Reaction Score
Sid Wilson is a coaches nightmare. On the one hand, he has off the charts athleticism you can't teach. On the other hand, he is a tremendous liability on both ends of the floor with a zero basketball IQ. That 3 shot foul towards the end of the game was inexcusable.
Wilson was awful again. As you say very athletic but not a basketball player. This is at least the 3rd time he has committed a critical foul late. No real shot. It is more than bb iq. He misses 3s He misses bunnies. He misses dunks. That isn’t iq. That is a lack of fundamentals.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

What’s funny is Smith was the one that actually fouled him. And frankly buried him.

Reaction Score
Wilson was awful again. As you say very athletic but not a basketball player. This is at least the 3rd time he has committed a critical foul late. No real shot. It is more than bb iq. He misses 3s He misses bunnies. He misses dunks. That isn’t iq. That is a lack of fundamentals.
Sid is a freshman. The skill is there but he needs coaching and experience.

Reaction Score

Still think we should have shut down AG for the rest of the year?

These minutes have been invaluable for him.

Reaction Score

Sid is a project but one that could pay real dividends. Could be a very effective piece within the system if he can clean up a few things. I think he can and it will be evident next season.

C

Chief00

Still think we should have shut down AG for the rest of the year?

These minutes have been invaluable for him.

Good question - True, playing AG has prevented games from getting even uglier. But, what’s the upside other than making the game a little more watchable and pulling out a win not a loss against USF? Was Tarin Smith being our primary ball handler a concession to that yesterday, so AG would take less punishment?
Perhaps, if he stays healthy he will have overcome psychological hurdles but Chief still would have like to see another several months in the gym healing and making the shoulder stronger. With the limited team upside this season, to Chief the risk/rewards not there to play him.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Sid is a project but one that could pay real dividends. Could be a very effective piece within the system if he can clean up a few things. I think he can and it will be evident next season.
Right now on a good team Sid would be Rudy Johnson. He needs to get stronger to be a Stanley. Chief is always skeptical about basketball IQ significantly improving at this age. I hope I am wrong about that. Right now he’s overloaded trying to meet the minimum requirements of the mental aspects playing an organized game. Too often he is playing a summer league game and throwing up shots that have a degree of difficulty not acceptable to a coach. To release his physical ability on the game he needs to improve the BB IQ side to minimum levels so he doesn’t have to try to think too much and the right play happens more naturally.

Reaction Score
Sid is a freshman. The skill is there but he needs coaching and experience.
Definitely needs some grey matter between the ears. Needs to work on core skills, but all the basketball athleticism is there to a great player. I hope he really gets afte it in the summer.

Reaction Score
Why? Our other one is injured. And those latter two have never been consistent with that.
I would not call the injured one a great ball handler, a passing grade at best. I wish I had $100 for every time I saw him dribble the ball off his foot.

C

Chief00

I would not call the injured one a great ball handler, a passing grade at best. I wish I had $100 for every time I saw him dribble the ball off his foot.

While he overpenetrates at times, AG is the only guy we have who can break his opponent down off the dribble and create offense or pass to a teammate.

Reaction Score
What I’ve seen from Sid Wilson these last few games is that his mental is shaky. I think his confidence is in the crapper. Sid Wilson has an tremendous upside. He will definitely need to get into the weight room this summer and gym to work on his jumper. With his athleticism he will need to work on a face up game also.

Reaction Score
I think huskyrob was referring to Jalen
Yes, you're right. Jalen's great talent has always been getting to the rim, and when he's on is a great shooter, but as a floor general his handle has always bothered me.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Chief is always skeptical about basketball IQ significantly improving at this age.
Chief is most likely right to be skeptical on that front. Nonetheless, having a good teacher as coach can make a dent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom