Chief’s Briefs - USC Edition | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - USC Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At this point we're going to see a zone every game until we show we can beat it. No reason to think we can't, but hopefully it happens soon
This was no cupcake like the last two games. This was a big time win.

Carlton did well. However I still saw butter fingers and throwing the ball up in the ai under the hoop. Not even close. But good showing.
Whaley doesn't need need to be told what to do. He goes out there with a purpose. He is all over the court. He wants to be involved. Seeing Polley break out last year and now Whaley is a feel good story.

USC had a way better defense than the last two cupcakes. Probably why some think a couple of our guys were absent. Gaff will be alright and so will Cole. Martin is so smooth with his play. Very comfortable out there. NC State up next. Let's see what happens then.

1. Carlton doesn't have good hands. Just the way it is.

2. That having been said, criticizing shotmaking inside when he went 4 for 6 against as tall a frontcourt as we'll see all year says for more about the person criticizing than it does about Josh.

Reaction Score
So happy for Carlton. 3 minutes in game 1. DNP in game 2. Absolutely essential in game 3.

His whole career, Carlton has stunk in big early OOC games. This year he flipped the script. Love to see it.
Actually he had 15 points against Fla in our big early win.
He followed that with a double against a pretty good Buffalo team
He looked worst against weaker OOC teams mostly because their 6’6” big would bring him outside where no 265 lb guy should go.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. If JC doesn't play, UConn doesn't win
2. The offense is horrendous at best - nobody but Martin has the nads to look to drive first - including Bouk - the system of throwing the ball around the perimeter and forcing a shot with under 5 seconds on the shot clock is back.
3. The fouling with hands has to stop - I fully understand that it looks like touch fouls but thats the way they are calling it.
4. It is good to see UConn pull out a gritty win - like the old days
5. DH was much more of a cheerleader and coach - it makes a huge difference - love to see it
6. UConn is going to see zone all year - need to work on breaking it - regardless of what Greenberg said - I saw only one clear time when Bouk cut into the middle of the zone and got off a clear shot - need that to happen much more
7. A win is a win and this may prove to be a good one. USC is going to be a better team when their PG returns
8. On to the NBE opponents - St Johns will be a good test - they can play both the running and the half court game. I can see UConn starting the NBE at 2-0 - that would be great

Reaction Score
Actually he had 15 points against Fla in our big early win.
He followed that with a double against a pretty good Buffalo team
He looked worst against weaker OOC teams mostly because their 6’6” big would bring him outside where no 265 lb guy should go.
Ah, fair enough! Guess I was thinking back to the previous season, when he turned in some rough outings against Syracuse, Iowa, Florida State, etc before really heating up in conference play.

C

Chief00

8. On to the NBE opponents - St Johns will be a good test - they can play both the running and the half court game. I can see UConn starting the NBE at 2-0 - that would be great
Don’t the Central and Hartford games count ?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Chief officially reopens thread due to cancellation of today’s game.
u and management here are obviously in cahoots with mother nature. nasty weather clearly brings hi-yard attendance to the bones. impressive juice all around. it all falls apart quickly tho, if youse overshoot on the 'nasty' part, and sideways blowin ice gets going. then, eversource calls all the shots.

C

Chief00

u and management here are obviously in cahoots with mother nature. nasty weather clearly brings hi-yard attendance to the bones. impressive juice all around. it all falls apart quickly tho, if youse overshoot on the 'nasty' part, and sideways blowin ice gets going. then, eversource calls all the shots.
LOL - The power perhaps going back on quicker than expected - doesn’t hurt a recruitment.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, I know everyone thinks of Hurley as a god around here, and I really, really, really like him. But figure out an offense against a zone. It’s atrocious. 3 points in the last 8 minutes against a bad defensive team. Something has to change or it’s going to be same old. Also Gaff and Cole are as of right now net 0 players. All these offseason pics/vids of pickup game domination and ripped muscles don’t matter until you show it on the court, and neither of them have.
Hilarious. This post could easily be found in the wayback machine anytime during the Calhoun era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom