Chief’s Briefs - UNH Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - UNH Edition

C

Chief00

It was nice to see UConn open up with two plays to the post and then the ability to play the inside out game that gave us good looks for threes. Chief asked for that in the last Briefs and Danny delivered.

Carlton showed what he could do inside against a team of UNH’s caliber, now he must also do it against the Big Boys.

As mentioned previously, the Briefs is all an eye test without Chief going to the official boxscore. Given that, Chief was impressed by Vital who had a box score stuffing type game. In particular, CV rebounded well. While it worked well against UNH, having Vital, Adams and Smith as some of your top rebounders won’t work so well against the Big Boys. It’s time for Cobb and Carlton to deliver rebounds more consistently.

As stated last game - we are winning the games we are suppose to and by comfortable margins, an improvement from the drama queens of last season. This is the first step toward stabilization.

Chief thought Jalen Adams also played a good all round game and basically toyed with whoever UNH put on him.

Gilbert played really good on the ball defense, which effectively prevented UNH from getting into an offense. He also scored some points and avoided over penetration for the most part. Yet, Chief still doesn’t know who our assist guy is or more to the point - do we even have that type of player?

Chief thought he might be breaking news about Sid’s suspension ending, but Danny preempted Chief as it should be LOL. I think Danny’s discipline of Jalen and Sid is a turning point. Without revealing anyone’s individual situation - I will just comment that Chief doesn’t think anyone on the team will be smoking weed this season going forward.

Polley today justified the confidence Coach Hurley has in him. When it’s flowing Tyler has the nicest shooting stroke on the team. Today we saw that form and touch. Memo from Chief to Tyler - keep it up!

Now, Chief would like to address the fans, UConn MBB is fun again. We have enough of a sample size - we don’t need a 5 year plan to achieve that goal. Come to the games and participate in the fun. Don’t be jaded. You won’t regret taking Chief’s advice. If you already go, talk it up and invite others.

081DC9BE-7EA6-4883-AB40-6A446B026C1D.jpeg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Favorite part of game was watchingCobb play highlost against done and seamlessly reversing all to wing and to corner for wide open 3's.

It was a play made by a guy who is used to playing basketball. Nothing mechanical or hesitant about it.

Reaction Score
Favorite part of game was watchingCobb play highlost against done and seamlessly reversing all to wing and to corner for wide open 3's.

It was a play made by a guy who is used to playing basketball. Nothing mechanical or hesitant about it.

Cobb may be the best Post passer we have ever had. His talent came up huge against Syracuse and i think it will again vs other high profile teams. It’s really difficult for a defense to deal with a big who can pass like that.

C

Chief00

Sometimes Cobb will make skilled, fundamental plays and other times he sleeps on things such as turning his head from the ball on defense.

Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to us playing Arizona and UCF. I think we're gonna have a pretty good idea as to whether we're a tournament team (!@@#!!!) after that. I don't want to get ahead of myself because we're busting up cupcakes, but it's also undeniable how much better everyone looks and that we're beating teams we should be by margins we should be beating them at. Everything's right where it should be.

We beat those two and i'm going to feel really good about us making a run at a tournament spot.

Reaction Score
Well for me it was great to see Polley pick it up and Jalen had a great game. We are really going to miss Jalen next year as we have nobody who can go one on one like him. I know he has to improve his outside shot to go to the NBA but he can take anybody especially in the next level with the wide open rules and his one on one game. Nice to see a good game from Carlton too but it can be fools gold. He needs to do this against big teams too and not just overmatched runts. AG played more in control but he still tries to make things that aren't there too much for my liking. Vital played great even if he didn't shoot well. If he can add a midrange game next year he could fill in somewhat for the go to scoring that will be missed when Jalen leaves. Train and brendan were fine but didn't stand out. I wonder why Cobb didn't get more minutes as he could have played against the NH center big men who weren't terribly mobile. I loved that missed dunk. LOL! Overall good game with low turnovers and killing the opposition on the boards. I hope when Wilson comes back in he next game and Diarra hopefully soon we will never see Yakwe again as he he looks lost out there on offense and isn't big enough to make a difference on d.

Reaction Score
Well for me it was great to see Polley pick it up and Jalen had a great game. We are really going to miss Jalen next year as we have nobody who can go one on one like him. I know he has to improve his outside shot to go to the NBA but he can take anybody especially in the next level with the wide open rules and his one on one game. Nice to see a good game from Carlton too but it can be fools gold. He needs to do this against big teams too and not just overmatched runts. AG played more in control but he still tries to make things that aren't there too much for my liking. Vital played great even if he didn't shoot well. If he can add a midrange game next year he could fill in somewhat for the go to scoring that will be missed when Jalen leaves. Train and brendan were fine but didn't stand out. I wonder why Cobb didn't get more minutes as he could have played against the NH center big men who weren't terribly mobile. Overall good game with low turnovers and killing the opposition on the boards.
I don't think we will miss Jalen too much next season as we will be loaded at guard. Wouldn't get my hopes up too much on Carlton putting it together against a big mature frontline, he's still just too physically weak. Luckily there aren't too many frontlines like this in the AAC.

C

Chief00

Well for me it was great to see Polley pick it up and Jalen had a great game. We are really going to miss Jalen next year as we have nobody who can go one on one like him. I know he has to improve his outside shot to go to the NBA but he can take anybody especially in the next level with the wide open rules and his one on one game. Nice to see a good game from Carlton too but it can be fools gold. He needs to do this against big teams too and not just overmatched runts. AG played more in control but he still tries to make things that aren't there too much for my liking. Vital played great even if he didn't shoot well. If he can add a midrange game next year he could fill in somewhat for the go to scoring that will be missed when Jalen leaves. Train and brendan were fine but didn't stand out. I wonder why Cobb didn't get more minutes as he could have played against the NH center big men who weren't terribly mobile. Overall good game with low turnovers and killing the opposition on the boards.

I agree about Jalen, especially now after Hurley’s cleaned up his off court stuff. I don’t like an offense going 1x1 all the time but it’s essential to have a guy be able to do that at key points in the game.

C

Chief00

Well for me it was great to see Polley pick it up and Jalen had a great game. We are really going to miss Jalen next year as we have nobody who can go one on one like him. I know he has to improve his outside shot to go to the NBA but he can take anybody especially in the next level with the wide open rules and his one on one game. Nice to see a good game from Carlton too but it can be fools gold. He needs to do this against big teams too and not just overmatched runts. AG played more in control but he still tries to make things that aren't there too much for my liking. Vital played great even if he didn't shoot well. If he can add a midrange game next year he could fill in somewhat for the go to scoring that will be missed when Jalen leaves. Train and brendan were fine but didn't stand out. I wonder why Cobb didn't get more minutes as he could have played against the NH center big men who weren't terribly mobile. I loved that missed dunk. LOL! Overall good game with low turnovers and killing the opposition on the boards. I hope when Wilson comes back in he next game and Diarra hopefully soon we will never see Yakwe again as he he looks lost out there on offense and isn't big enough to make a difference on d.

There were a couple of plays Hurley wasn’t happy with Cobb’s defense.
Agree, I would play Whaley or Diarra over Yakwe.

Reaction Score
I don't think we will miss Jalen too much next season as we will be loaded at guard. Wouldn't get my hopes up too much on Carlton putting it together against a big mature frontline, he's still just too physically weak. Luckily there aren't too many frontlines like this in the AAC.
Who is going to score on those one on one situations next year? I don't see it in AG(Too small) and Vital(no finesse game). You can't just replace someone like Jalen with a solid guard. He is a special player and one of my favorties.

Reaction Score
Bouknight and Wilson
Well let's hope one of them can step up but they are unknowns right now as they haven't played a game yet. Sometimes hard to rely on underclassmen as your go to scorer especially without the experience in doing it in big games.

Reaction Score
Who is going to score on those one on one situations next year? I don't see it in AG(Too small) and Vital(no finesse game). You can't just replace someone like Jalen with a solid guard. He is a special player and one of my favorties.
We are gping to have 6 guards who can score next year, Alterique will be a star. Frontcourt is the focus and it's still a major weakness.

Reaction Score

Yea, losing Jalen will be tough.. but I think Bouknight’s jumper will make it an easier transition on top of AG’s progression into next season

Reaction Score

Cobb is an outstanding passer both on the break and half court.

Reaction Score
Guards will be a problem for the opposition and that should only strengthen as the season progresses.
Front line will eventually have match up problems against some size and strength which is why I feel Cobb should get most of Yakwe's minutes. Fortunately Carlton is feeling more confident and looks good for what he needs to contribute. Diarra should complement but will need time to catch up.
Polley is just solid and isn't trying to do too much. I think he has more in the tank.
Hoping Sid can be Polley's complement but he has to catch up as well.

Another nice win to enjoy.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Loved Hurley's comment after the game when asked about Polley's development. He talked about building a relationship with him and building his confidence. He said he has a history of getting players to run through walls for him. Hurley knows the difference between a confident player and one with self-doubt is huge. He also knows how to tap into that aspect of human nature that causes parents to run into burning buildings for their children and soldiers to die for their fellow soldiers... not to the same extreme... but playing with passion and all out desire for a coach and your teammates can lift a team to another level. Hurley is the real deal. Also, Polley keeps looking better... so much for my eye for talent because I wrote him off last year as a perpetual mediocre player. Good to be wrong sometimes. Keeps us all humble. :)

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Loved Hurley's comment after the game when asked about Polley's development. He talked about building a relationship with him and building his confidence. He said he has a history of getting players to run through walls for him. Hurley knows the difference between a confident player and one with self-doubt is huge. He also knows how to tap into that aspect of human nature that causes parents to run into burning buildings for their children and soldiers to die for their fellow soldiers... not to the same extreme... but playing with passion and all out desire for a coach and your teammates can lift a team to another level. Hurley is the real deal. Also, Polley keeps looking better... so much for my eye for talent because I wrote him off last year as a perpetual mediocre player. Good to be wrong sometimes. Keeps us all humble. :)
And kudos to Hurley for seeing that if he can bring it out from Polley, he’ll have a gem. I was writing last year that there was a lot to like from this kid, especially his shooting stroke. That was, and still is, something this team really needed after Jackson left.

Reaction Score
I feel like I've seen more smiles on Jalen's face in the first couple of games than I've seen the entire last 2 years. He seems to be enjoying himself. It must be a load off his shoulders to be able to sit a couple minutes and watch us extend our leads. He doesn't have to do everything. The entire fate of the team doesn't rest with him firing up 20 shots and getting 20+ points a night. I hope he gets into the tournament this last year. He deserves it.

C

Chief00

Guards will be a problem for the opposition and that should only strengthen as the season progresses.
Front line will eventually have match up problems against some size and strength which is why I feel Cobb should get most of Yakwe's minutes. Fortunately Carlton is feeling more confident and looks good for what he needs to contribute. Diarra should complement but will need time to catch up.
Polley is just solid and isn't trying to do too much. I think he has more in the tank.
Hoping Sid can be Polley's complement but he has to catch up as well.

Another nice win to enjoy.

I agree, Cobb is the guy who will have to battle the major team Bigs, so why not give him the preparation.

C

Chief00

Danny does built that connection with his players. You know it when you see it and Chief sees that connection between Danny and his players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom