Chief’s Briefs - UCF Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - UCF Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

We did not pass the eye test, they are so much bigger and stronger. Killed us with their aggression and defense as we turned the ball over and reverted back to the bad habit of early team fouls and poor shooting.

Chemistry is a delicate thing and then after you lose it, you have a tipping point. We had that tonight. Without Gilbert, UCF got into their offense at will and we could not run an offense - since they took Jalen out of the game with double teams until the second half. We got 7 team fouls early, had crazy tunrnovers, poor rebounding and CV/Danny losing their poise. UCF had their share of turnovers too but we couldn’t capitalize.

Tyler step out of bounds and then had the ball taken out of his hands that summed up our mindset for the night. UConn played like we did not think we could win, despite keeping it close. We were certainly intimidated by their size inside. Bigs do matter despite what some casual fans say about their dreams of a 4 guard offense. UConn needs at least 2 additional Bigs for next season or else we will continue with these issues. We need some physicality and size.
At any rate, we kept it relatively close or were they just not very good at running their offense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Disappointing UConn. They are not a good team and they turned Orlando weather into the coldest all winter.

Reaction Score
They scored 45 points in the second half on arguably the best defensive team in the conference without AG they are improving every game recruiting bigs doesn’t help jalen or this years team I may be only one but I’m not quitting on this team

Reaction Score
It sure does seem like there was zero emphasis on weight training the last couple years. Thats why its funny how they hired a strength coach (Alosi) with an NFL background. Shows that Hurley is not messing around and wants us to over power teams like they have been doing to us lately.

Reaction Score
Is Mo injured again? Did we see the last of him last week?
Carlton- fouls out
Cobb almost
Polley almost
Sid fouls out
DIARRA ??????
Concerning.

Whaley

Jump man

Reaction Score
We have no bench. It is impossible to win a game with four bench points. A talent upgrade will help the back end of roster so much, and that will prove valuable.

Sid and B Adams definitely have tools that if developed can make them contributors but they’re just too raw right now. When B Adams was in the game it almost reminded me of when a Corner in football gets hurt, you just test him over & over. B Adams didnt pass the test on D tonight

C

Chief00

Holy casual.

I finished a brief and had a work call with the game on. Some people just aren’t built for the grind.
You got me there. I knew I would get some incoming fire by admitting that.
Also, aren’t you a west coast guy - so you have three hours on me. I had been going since 5:30am or 2:30am your time. But, you’re right - falling asleep on Chief’s Briefs is unprofessional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Sid and B Adams definitely have tools that if developed can make them contributors but they’re just too raw right now. When B Adams was in the game it almost reminded me of when a Corner in football gets hurt, you just test him over & over. B Adams didnt pass the test on D tonight

B Adams has not been the player many thought he would be.....at least not yet, even on offense. Wasn't he thought to be a very good 3 point shooter? So far he's shooting 0.333 overall and 0.226 on threes and 0.737 on ft's. Averaging 11.4 minutes and 3 ppg.

His brother averaged 32 minutes per game as a freshman (sure it was St. Bonaventure), 10 ppg, 4.5 apg and 2.5 rbg and had shooting percentages of 0.386, 0.324 on threes and 0.783 on ft's.

C

Chief00

Is Mo injured again? Did we see the last of him last week?
Carlton- fouls out
Cobb almost
Polley almost
Sid fouls out
DIARRA ??????
Concerning.

Whaley

Jump man

I won’t address anyone individually but I did put it out there in my initial post - we need at least 2 or 3 physical front court players next year. Currently, we have none. With the scholarship drop - you do the math and make realistic injury assessments.

Reaction Score
This is very simple. When our guys decide they are grabbing the ball and shooting we do well-2nd half. When they play a game of hot potato with no courage we suck - first half.

This is not a talent issue, it's a mindset ( I'm not going to be beat) issue.

Reaction Score
I did not think UCF played well either. A very winnable game if we were a better team.
If you look at the box score, UCF did not dominate us by any means. We made 5 more threes than UCF, and 2 more field goals. Rebounding was even, turnovers were almost even, but the real difference once again was the free throw shooting. UCF was 25-36, and UConn 10-13.

Im starting to believe this just comes down to the fact that UCF is just a bigger and stronger team so our guys simply cannot play defense without fouling. This has been the case with so many games this season. The officiating in this league has been terrible and I think we have gotten cheated with a lot of calls as well.

Reaction Score
No, not tonight and true confessions - I fell asleep late in the second half.

Prescient, from the Haiku Thread.
9pm, late start,
Don’t wait up for the Chief Brief’s,
Pos, Nightgown Lowdown?

BTW, the Brief’s do read like you’re glossing over much of the second half when they got back in the game.

Reaction Score
No, not tonight and true confessions - I fell asleep late in the second half.
I guess you aren’t as hardcore a fan you make yourself out to be! It was a close exciting game in the second half.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Jalen played his heart out in the second half. Don’t know if Hurley said something to him but if he comes out with that fire every game from now on he’s gonna put a lot of people on watch

Reaction Score
Respectfully, I appreciate your observation, Psolo12....BUT That IF should have been a big IF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom