Chief’s Briefs - Tulane Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Tulane Edition

C

Chief00

The team continues to progress. Adam’s and Vital starting to really play well together. Adams Wow!

Big Dave got some big offensive rebounds today and made Tulane pay with hard fouls on drives.

Two things I like about Carlton is he keeps the ball high on offense and positions his body under the hoop on defense.

UConn is playing better on offense - more team ball.

Rules:
- Rule 1 Two of the three top scorers (Adam’s, Vital & Larrier) must be in at all times.
- Rule 2 - Anderson, Diarra and Polley should never be in together.

Good to see a couple of jump hooks - shows they are at least trying to develop Bigs! To complement the jump hook you need a reverse pivot bank shot. That’s the next milestone.

Larrier is very sloppy with the ball. Sloppy handle, sloppy passes and no grip on ball.

The length at the top of the zone is a response to 3’s against UConn. Given the offensive makeup of team and short guards - this mandates a guard in the back of the zone. A series of trade offs that had pluses and minuses. My concern is it beats up Adams further, makes him exposed to fouls covering a bigger guy down low. Having said that - not as many opposing 3’s today.

Tulane made an adjustment at halftime to attack the guard in the back of the zone. This results in the Big coming down to double.

Anderson is a mess on offense. A bad shot and a messy dribble especially when he tries to go in traffic.

Not thrilled about team staying in N.O. tonight prior to traveling to Memphis. I am sure I don’t have to elaborate further. However, Chief has always been a celebrate victory guy - so have fun tonight! Just get back on the horse early tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not thrilled about team staying in N.O. tonight prior to traveling to Memphis. I am sure I don’t have to elaborate further.
Nah, they deserve a little fun after that, and they're in the right place for it.

Reaction Score
Not thrilled about team staying in N.O. tonight prior to traveling to Memphis. I am sure I don’t have to elaborate further.
Yeah, not great but breaks up 3 nights in Memphis. I don't like back to back road games really where team away for 5 days (not including pre & post tourneys) but that's life in AAC

Reaction Score
Rule 1
These 3 have to get more rest or they could have problems toward the end of the season. We just look much less disjointed on offense and our bigs are developing. Carlton and Whaley are going to fun to watch going forward.

Reaction Score
Ideally KO gives Jalen a short rest right before the 12 minute TV timeout, could result in him being fresher down the stretch.

C

Chief00

Rule 1
These 3 have to get more rest or they could have problems toward the end of the season. We just look much less disjointed on offense and our bigs are developing. Carlton and Whaley are going to fun to watch going forward.

I actually like Geno’s philosophy - he believes you can play with 7-8 players - a couple going close to 40. True some fatigue but it helps chemistry and who else can create offense?

Reaction Score
Maybe they need Shabazz to give them a Husky Pride talk before every game, I think Jalen took it in. Although once again he started slow with TO's, missed shots and not much then like a rocket ship he was last year JA and more. He was really good, passed the ball well made great penetration with a plan and made shots some very tough one's to boot. Another thing of note, he was continually caught underneath on D guarding someone bigger who was posting him up and he worked his tail off to front him, get around him and then box him out a few times. I've been on him so when credit is due I'm all in and he was the key, damn good game.

Co-MVP was another guy we all get on, David O. Happy for the kid, worked his tail off in a few minutes great D and some really nice strong rebounding. Good stuff and a deserving kid, hope he has more of those type games for certain match ups. Also took a charge which the stripes blew the call on.

Vital another hard effort on the defensive end as they were all up against it in size. And his typical offensive game, love the kid.

Carlton and Whaley 2 keepers. Slowly but surely they are showing they can be something for the program as time goes on. Both of these guy just need to figure it out with the very dumb fouls, although Whaley's first 2 weren't fouls. First one was a screen he was still on, the offensive guy drove him to move, the 2nd he beat the guy to the spot on defense and the ref called it on contact Ollie went nuts. The 3rd was plain dumb, a reach on a guy off the ball for him for #3 nd less time on the court. He needs to stay away form that - Carlton too over the back is tough for him, needs to know when to give and throw up the flag, just run back. Love these kids though see some improvement all the time.

It's crazy to think they won this game easily despite the way Anderson and Larrier played. Both were awful, although at least Larrier made some shots. But on offense Anderson is dreadful, can't make a shot and now he's turing it over too much. Larrier took a few ill advised shots today and his defense, well I'm not sure if he played defense. One time he did get a hand in the face of a shooter then left for a fast break rebound went right back to where he should have been. Can't happen he needs to be all in all the time.

Think KO and staff needed a little more offense/defense last 5 minutes or so - basically less Anderson and more Whaley at times.

Nice win, long ways to go but things are moving in the right direction it would seem. Thought Tim Welsh had a nice game too, talked about the youth and injuries as they are. Must've really pissed off some of the cronies!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, not great but breaks up 3 nights in Memphis. I don't like back to back road games really where team away for 5 days (not including pre & post tourneys) but that's life in AAC

I believe that Beale Street has its own distractions anyway. Even if not quite the same.

Reaction Score
Maybe they need Shabazz to give them a Husky Pride talk before every game, I think Jalen took it in. Although once again he started slow with TO's, missed shots and not much then like a rocket ship he was last year JA and more. He was really good, passed the ball well made great penetration with a plan and made shots some very tough one's to boot. Another thing of note, he was continually caught underneath on D guarding someone bigger who was posting him up and he worked his tail off to front him, get around him and then box him out a few times. I've been on him so when credit is due I'm all in and he was the key, damn good game.

Co-MVP was another guy we all get on, David O. Happy for the kid, worked his tail off in a few minutes great D and some really nice strong rebounding. Good stuff and a deserving kid, hope he has more of those type games for certain match ups. Also took a charge which the stripes blew the call on.

Vital another hard effort on the defensive end as they were all up against it in size. And his typical offensive game, love the kid.

Carlton and Whaley 2 keepers. Slowly but surely they are showing they can be something for the program as time goes on. Both of these guy just need to figure it out with the very dumb fouls, although Whaley's first 2 weren't fouls. First one was a screen he was still on, the offensive guy drove him to move, the 2nd he beat the guy to the spot on defense and the ref called it on contact Ollie went nuts. The 3rd was plain dumb, a reach on a guy off the ball for him for #3 nd less time on the court. He needs to stay away form that - Carlton too over the back is tough for him, needs to know when to give and throw up the flag, just run back. Love these kids though see some improvement all the time.

It's crazy to think they won this game easily despite the way Anderson and Larrier played. Both were awful, although at least Larrier made some shots. But on offense Anderson is dreadful, can't make a shot and now he's turing it over too much. Larrier took a few ill advised shots today and his defense, well I'm not sure if he played defense. One time he did get a hand in the face of a shooter then left for a fast break rebound went right back to where he should have been. Can't happen he needs to be all in all the time.

Think KO and staff needed a little more offense/defense last 5 minutes or so - basically less Anderson and more Whaley at times.

Nice win, long ways to go but things are moving in the right direction it would seem. Thought Tim Welsh had a nice game too, talked about the youth and injuries as they are. Must've really pissed off some of the cronies!

Love Whaley, saw potential from the beginning. He needs to buckle down and work on the 5-15 foot jump shot. If he can develop that part of his game without losing the Dennis Rodman part, watch out!

Reaction Score
I actually like Geno’s philosophy - he believes you can play with 7-8 players - a couple going close to 40. True some fatigue but it helps chemistry and who else can create offense?
"who else can create offense?"
That is a big problem isn't it

Reaction Score
Love Whaley, saw potential from the beginning. He needs to buckle down and work on the 5-15 foot jump shot. If he can develop that part of his game without losing the Dennis Rodman part, watch out!

Yeah carl I saw it in the exhibition games - nose for the ball, offensive glass guy and very quick feet for a long 6'9 kid. Wonderful future there. Needs to be able to make that 8-12 footer I agree but I think know he's always rushing it. Needs to slow down on the jumper, but he looks like a kid who knows what he has to work on and will do that.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I agree on Larrier Chief. It's hard to get mad at the kid. He will lose the handle easily. You pull your hair out, then he knocks down a three. *sigh of relief* Carlton is improving but I am not sold 100% like many. He does hold the ball high, but stand there. His feet never leave the floor. Most of the time I am waiting for him to do a Fred Astaire while fighting in a crowd. But yes, he starting to look good. What happened to Williams? One game I saw him come in, get the ball at the top of the key, turns, impressive move drives to the basket and slams it. After that, he is awol. Adams getting much praise as deserved. Me? I like Vital. Liked him as a Freshman and carried over to this year. Confidence? He has it. He is all business. What the heck happened to Anderson? Started the year off being a force,now he looks lost. Tentative.
Whaley is going to be a star. Someone posted yesterday that Carlton will do okay if he doesn't get 3 fouls in 4 minutes. Well?

Great win, teams is looking better each game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The team continues to progress. Adam’s and Vital starting to really play well together. Adams Wow!

Big Dave got some big offensive rebounds today and made Tulane pay with hard fouls on drives.

Two things I like about Carlton is he keeps the ball high on offense and positions his body under the hoop on defense.

UConn is playing better on offense - more team ball.

Rules:
- Rule 1 Two of the three top scorers (Adam’s, Vital & Larrier) must be in at all times.
- Rule 2 - Anderson, Diarra and Polley should never be in together.

Good to see a couple of jump hooks - shows they are at least trying to develop Bigs! To complement the jump hook you need a reverse pivot bank shot. That’s the next milestone.

Larrier is very sloppy with the ball. Sloppy handle, sloppy passes and no grip on ball.

The length at the top of the zone is a response to 3’s against UConn. Given the offensive makeup of team and short guards - this mandates a guard in the back of the zone. A series of trade offs that had pluses and minuses. My concern is it beats up Adams further, makes him exposed to fouls covering a bigger guy down low. Having said that - not as many opposing 3’s today.

Tulane made an adjustment at halftime to attack the guard in the back of the zone. This results in the Big coming down to double.

Anderson is a mess on offense. A bad shot and a messy dribble especially when he tries to go in traffic.

Not thrilled about team staying in N.O. tonight prior to traveling to Memphis. I am sure I don’t have to elaborate further. However, Chief has always been a celebrate victory guy - so have fun tonight! Just get back on the horse early tomorrow.

They play in Memphis on Tuesday. Tuesday.

Unless someone gets arrested how would this impact TUESDAY!?!?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In theory, the 2020-2021 Husky team should have a nice front court with Whaley, Carlton, Polley and Diarra all seniors.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I like the length of TL at the top of the zone but with length there needs to come some grittiness and hustle, neither is a TL hallmark. His handle was again horrible and he panics like crazy when two defenders merge on him, He has a lovely shoot but if that's going to be his forte he better get more consistent with it.
DO was huge today. Will he do it again? Who knows but it would a lot harder to win today without him.
Yeah Anderson was a train wreck on offense but he plays good D and is active. He is what he is and without AG there are few options.
Whalley is going to be a good one but he needs to take the 7-10 footer when available instead of the 15 footer - move in and do it.
What happened to the dunk? UConn missed 8 bunnies - an easy 16 points and 4 should have been flushed.
Carleton improves every game except in one area - intelligence - his fouls are head scratchers - much like Hilton when he was a frosh.
Overall a good game vs an athletic and much improved Tulane team, I saw them beat SMU and to be honest was very nervous about the game today.
JA should have had 15 assists today - if his mates could hit shots - he was a fantastic floor general and scored when needed - a great game.
Overall - great game
Not even going to comment on KO except he is doing what I knew all along he was looking at but the "EXPERT" haters and doubters can have their day
What is that silence I am now hearing????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom