Chief’s Briefs - Temple | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Temple

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Good question, I was leaning toward staying one more year - with some shooters coming in and a potentially healthy squad next year. I still think KO’s system would work with future NBA players who can create their own offense with ease and others who can hit open shots. But, the inability to attain these players is a glaring weakness as is the inability to compete in so many games. Now the need for something much less than $9 million - makes it an easier decision.

What’s interesting to me is that no coaches or players appear to have been restricted yet or put on paid administrative leave. I am taking at face value the Cobb situation. Since there was an internal investigation that one would assume ask recruiting questions - no one is officially on the record clearly of lying to the University, at this point.

When I think of groups of three:
- I think of the Boston guys going to PC
- I think of Diallo, Sid and Bamba and connections to someone in NYC
- I think of the three money recruits that headed SEC.
Under most of these scenarios, Glen Miller’s name keeps popping up as , at a minimum, someone with knowledge.

Knowledge of what? That he did something dirty, or somebody else did something dirty?

You're right about him being a key informant. I'd be surprised if they haven't already talked with him. In his present situation, who could blame him for not feeling a whole lot of loyalty to anybody?

Reaction Score
This team has so many issues with consistency. After SMU I felt the season was saved. But I still believe in this teams. Call me delusional call me a fan. Im sad but this is all we can do at this point.
You are delusional. You are a fan...... And, so am I. I traveled from Northern Jersey to watch the team last night, and it was a sad display. In addition to some of the lack of skill issues noted in this thread, to me, there seems to be a lack of urgency and enthusiasm. I am disappointed that they are not, at least, more competitive (particularly, against an opponent like Temple).

What I did like - Isaiah Whaley's bounce and timing around the iron, Josh Carlton's fundamentals and footwork, and Mamadou Diarra's box outs and energy around the rim.

I've been a fan since I attended and first watched Tony Hanson in 1974, so I am not going to quit now, but they make hour and 45 minute drives home at 10:30 on a Sunday night not so enjoyable.

Reaction Score
Confirmed - that’s why I did not focus blame on Jalen as some casual fans suggest I should.

Hmm, Chief casual. Jalen didn't adjust to what they were doing. He turned the ball over. KO didn't adjust. He,was being schemed, everyone was hedging on him. We knew this would happen. It's going to happen again. I guess you as a casual fan will be alright with more games like that from Jalen?

Reaction Score
Jalen only has one offense move to go right and finish with a crafty layup. Even when they guard him right he still ends up there. Tonight, every time Jalen started to drive right they ran three guys to the right side of the basket cutting off any lane. He found guys for open looks but when its Anderson and Polley open its pretty much a missed shot or turnover.

They also know we are a bad rebounding team that need our guards to rebound so they were releasing a guy early and were just running on us. Athletic teams that like to run have blown us out each time.

C

Chief00

Hmm, Chief casual. Jalen didn't adjust to what they were doing. He turned the ball over. KO didn't adjust. He,was being schemed, everyone was hedging on him. We knew this would happen. It's going to happen again. I guess you as a casual fan will be alright with more games like that from Jalen?

Fair point, we did not adjust to Jalen being doubled or tripled team. Quite frankly, from a coaches perspective when that happens his job is to take those two or three defenders out of the picture and let his team play 4 on 2 or 4 on 3. Anderson stepped up very briefly for a few minutes but the rest of the team couldn’t get it done - so back to Jalen playing 1 on 3.

Reaction Score
New Hampshire vs. Temple - Box Score - November 14, 2016 - ESPN

It's not easy to go into the Liacouras Center and get a win. When we did it, it was because we had a veteran roster that could control the tempo, limit turnovers, and keep the crowd out of it. Turning it over 16 times like UConn did tonight is a recipe for disaster, and as far as taking the crowd out of it, well they didn't do that either. It's harder to yell Fly Eagles Fly when you've just been kicked in the gut, but that's the importance of leadership. Jalen Smith's don't grow on trees.
university of new hampshire is offering genuine advice omg we're f#####

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Fair point, we did not adjust to Jalen being doubled or tripled team. Quite frankly, from a coaches perspective when that happens

Its the difference between us looking REAL Bad (Memphis and Temple) or adequate to halfway OK. (SMU and UCF) . Let me explain it to the casual fan if I may be so bold. SMU and UCF for whatever reason (depth, athletes at the right positions to play it) did not pressure Jalen up high via denial, or double and triple teams, nor have a guard or two who could make life miserable for a guard one on one like we used to have with Boat, ricky etc... They let Jalen operate up high comfortably.. Memphis and Temple both have excellent defensive guards and combined that with a plan to blitz Adams off of screens with doubles and push him out way past 3 point line.

If I was a coach I would run 4 guys at Adams all night, because we have no one and I mean no one who can be trusted to relieve that pressure and make teams pay for the overplay. Only Anderson. And you know what you are geting there. If that is our best option for relief in those scenarios well you know the rest..........

Reaction Score
image.png
New Hampshire vs. Temple - Box Score - November 14, 2016 - ESPN

It's not easy to go into the Liacouras Center and get a win. When we did it, it was because we had a veteran roster that could control the tempo, limit turnovers, and keep the crowd out of it. Turning it over 16 times like UConn did tonight is a recipe for disaster, and as far as taking the crowd out of it, well they didn't do that either. It's harder to yell Fly Eagles Fly when you've just been kicked in the gut, but that's the importance of leadership. Jalen Smith's don't grow on trees.

Is this you?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Officially a casual fan. I shut it off at half and never went back.

I turned off 2 minutes into the second half - and I have prohibited my daughter from watching at all to prevent picking up any bad habits.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Its the difference between us looking REAL Bad (Memphis and Temple) or adequate to halfway OK. (SMU and UCF) . Let me explain it to the casual fan if I may be so bold. SMU and UCF for whatever reason (depth, athletes at the right positions to play it) did not pressure Jalen up high via denial, or double and triple teams, nor have a guard or two who could make life miserable for a guard one on one like we used to have with Boat, ricky etc... They let Jalen operate up high comfortably.. Memphis and Temple both have excellent defensive guards and combined that with a plan to blitz Adams off of screens with doubles and push him out way past 3 point line.

If I was a coach I would run 4 guys at Adams all night, because we have no one and I mean no one who can be trusted to relieve that pressure and make teams pay for the overplay. Only Anderson. And you know what you are geting there. If that is our best option for relief in those scenarios well you know the rest.....

If CV was smart and stayed out of foul trouble the game would have been different
When you have to rely on 2 guys to score and 1 is in foul trouble and the other is being molested by 3 guys it is not going to work.
The bigs have to start producing and stop missing bunnies. I know they are young but missing layups and putbacks are the norm lately.
In that spurt by Temple in final 8 minutes of 1st half - UConn bigs missed 5 bunnies, failed to catch 3 very catchable passes that would have led to easy hoops (at least you would think so), gave away 3 rebounds on the defensive end by not grabbing the ball and allowed way too may offensive rebounds by Temple due to poor positioning and being out muscled.

pj

Reaction Score
All this and you don't mention Jalen played like garbage!?

When the simulation thread showed UConn losing with Jalen shooting 4 for 18, I said, no way he shoots 4 for 18. He shot 2 for 10.

Reaction Score
If CV was smart and stayed out of foul trouble the game would have been different
When you have to rely on 2 guys to score and 1 is in foul trouble and the other is being molested by 3 guys it is not going to work.
The bigs have to start producing and stop missing bunnies. I know they are young but missing layups and putbacks are the norm lately.
In that spurt by Temple in final 8 minutes of 1st half - UConn bigs missed 5 bunnies, failed to catch 3 very catchable passes that would have led to easy hoops (at least you would think so), gave away 3 rebounds on the defensive end by not grabbing the ball and allowed way too may offensive rebounds by Temple due to poor positioning and being out muscled.

Agreed. Knowing that JA was being double and sometimes tripled, CV should been getting into the lane and dropping it off tota big instead of bombing it from beyond the 3 pt line. CV did that for 2 possessions early in the second half that lead to two dunks. The bigs need to find the open space and the driver needs to get him the ball.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Knowing that JA was being double and sometimes tripled, CV should been getting into the lane and dropping it off tota big instead of bombing it from beyond the 3 pt line. CV did that for 2 possessions early in the second half that lead to two dunks. The bigs need to find the open space and the driver needs to get him the ball.

CV's play last night was like a microcosm for the season. Those two possessions where he got to the rim and dished it off I thought he'd finally turned the corner and figured things out, and then he spends most of the second half seeing how much time he can leave on the shot clock as he hucks up threes from six feet behind the arc. One step forward, two bewildering steps back

Reaction Score
We got to see Temple's guards do it repeatedly. They'd drive across the lane, from one side on the top of the key to the opposite box, and dump passes to their bigs on the block on the side where they started the drive as our bigs left their men to help on the driver.

I thought the young bigs were not terrible last night but they struggled in two huge areas: rebounding especially out of the zone and with their help D on these drives. The rotations to the uncovered bigs were slow.

Reaction Score
Watch our pregame shooting warm ups. They explain a lot.
What I noticed when I attended the Auburn game and I wondered if this was the case before all games. The only thing all the players did was dunk. They were all doing fancy dunks. I remember saying to my wife that you would think that a team that can't shoot would surely come up during warm ups for the second half and practice jumpers. Nope right back to to every single one of them practicing their dunking.
Do any of these guys actually work on their jumpers? I'm doubting it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We got to see Temple's guards do it repeatedly. They'd drive across the lane, from one side on the top of the key to the opposite box, and dump passes to their bigs on the block on the side where they started the drive as our bigs left their men to help on the driver.

I thought the young bigs were not terrible last night but they struggled in two huge areas: rebounding especially out of the zone and with their help D on these drives. The rotations to the uncovered bigs were slow.

They got pushed around like boys trying to guard men.

Reaction Score
Good question, I was leaning toward staying one more year - with some shooters coming in and a potentially healthy squad next year. I still think KO’s system would work with future NBA players who can create their own offense with ease and others who can hit open shots. But, the inability to attain these players is a glaring weakness as is the inability to compete in so many games. Now the need for something much less than $9 million - makes it an easier decision.

What’s interesting to me is that no coaches or players appear to have been restricted yet or put on paid administrative leave. I am taking at face value the Cobb situation. Since there was an internal investigation that one would assume ask recruiting questions - no one is officially on the record clearly of lying to the University, at this point.

When I think of groups of three:
- I think of the Boston guys going to PC
- I think of Diallo, Sid and Bamba and connections to someone in NYC
- I think of the three money recruits that headed SEC.
Under most of these scenarios, Glen Miller’s name keeps popping up as , at a minimum, someone with knowledge.
So to by paragraph
I was down but really he just isn’t worth the money? So let’s see what we can get for less?
(Interesting)

Agree on the sleuthing. Nothing really pops out to me either except maybe something that we let go away or lost ala MAL, mo, the sec crew. Glen was in the know and I feel that no matter what,losing Diallo will always be his cross to bear one way or the other. That’s irony and a paradox.

Reaction Score
Th
CV's play last night was like a microcosm for the season. Those two possessions where he got to the rim and dished it off I thought he'd finally turned the corner and figured things out, and then he spends most of the second half seeing how much time he can leave on the shot clock as he hucks up threes from six feet behind the arc. One step forward, two bewildering steps back
ats why I called him dyson 2.0 some time ago. remember the pull up 3 vs Syracuse when we had the lead I think with like 1 minute left and no one under the rim?

Last edited:
C

Chief00

The thing that worries me about the inquiry is that you may not be able to put logical assumptions on it. The last few years nothing would surprise me in terms of how we might have gone after marginal players. Of course, the Diallo types you might expect stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom