Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Really could not tell very much about the team's progress from the game they played last night other than Alterique Gilbert is the straw that stirs this martini made of Popov and Giacomo.

UConn was getting beat like they stole something even before Adams got hurt and they had absolutely no direction afterward. Each and every player wanted to take it upon themselves to get the team back in the game, while none of them have the ability to individually take it upon themselves to get the team back in the game. They needed a team out there. Five guys functioning as one. They were the opposite.

Of course it's hard to expect much else without their two best players on the court.

Reaction Score
First, my prayers are with Jalen. I hope the knee is better than it appeared as Jalen left the court. I know Jalen sometimes disappoints on the court but I can honestly say he has always been respectful and friendly to me. I am rooting for him. He is also very talented and often doubled teamed.

Quite frankly, without our two best players the talent gap becomes extremely apparent. When fans ask Chief how many new players Danny needs to add this year and next year - they are often surprised at Chief’s numbers. In short, we need to add a ton of new guys.

With our two best players injuried, I am not going to overanalyze this mismatch.

Temple killed us at the 3 line and their guards controlled the game. In the context of a lopsided game some of our guys had some good flashes - Josh, Cobb and CV. But, of course no where near enough. Josh was active but he still has trouble consistently finishing strong. Having said that, he is a double/double guy tonight.

Of course, circumstances change but Chief’s 2018/2019 key metric holds true - Temple has about a 200% foul shooting advantage in this loss.

We shot better the second half but we couldn’t stop Temple. I will give the guys credit for not quitting.

Chief mentioned when Gilbert first went down that Chief was not comforted with UConn’s track record on handling shoulder situations. So here we are 3 games later and Gilbert is still out and with Jalen out now does that make it more or less likely for Gilbert to return sooner? My wild guess is less likely despite going through warmups today.

Not much to add here. Temple couldn't miss at the start. We got rattled, then we lost Jalen. I did like Hurley trying Cobb and Carlton on the floor together. That may help against certain teams that play physically.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not much to add here. Temple couldn't miss at the start. We got rattled, then we lost Jalen. I did like Hurley trying Cobb and Carlton on the floor together. That may help against certain teams that play physically.
No backup though when either or both get winded. Same problem last year playing a 3 guard lineup with only 3 viable guards.

Reaction Score
No backup though when either or both get winded. Same problem last year playing a 3 guard lineup with only 3 viable guards.

I totally agree. I don't think that it is a lineup that you use throughout, but it is good to know that it is a possibility. I would hope that Diarra or Whaley would be available off the bench in these situations.

Reaction Score
Understandable chief , but it’s been almost 2 full weeks now. I disagree a bit. I don’t think Jalen back or not relates to alterique. Now if there was two games left in the season and we had no shot of an Ncaa berth or NIT , then I’d say that I understand completely. I mean at this point it’s been two full weeks right now anything that was minor should feel much better by now

Reaction Score
I guess I’m just being selfish. Team is pretty unwatchable with no Jalen or AG. Really don’t kno if I can watch Sunday if both are out.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Understandable chief , but it’s been almost 2 full weeks now. I disagree a bit. I don’t think Jalen back or not relates to alterique. Now if there was two games left in the season and we had no shot of an Ncaa berth or NIT , then I’d say that I understand completely. I mean at this point it’s been two full weeks right now anything that was minor should feel much better by now
He dressed last night. My hopefully outlook is that he plays on Sunday, if for nothing else than to shake off the rust for the stretch.

Reaction Score
Team isn't very good, especially without Jalen and AG, but it seems like the effort is still there and they're playing hard. Good to see they haven't mailed it in and maybe they'll have a nice upset in the AAC. I think that's the goal for the remainder of the season.

BTW, B Adams has no offensive skills at all, all he does is dribble and pass. I know he's just a frosh, but I hope he's not in the long term plans.

At the start of the year, many were raving about BAdams' three point shooting skills. As of today, more than 2/3 of the way through the season, he's shooting 20% on threes and 30.6% overall, worse than Polley (42% overall and 33.3% on threes which is inexplicably a step back from last year's 41.7%). But, Polley has still become the prime punching bag even though no lesser expert than me believes he can still be a big part of the next two years' ascendance to national prominence.

C

Chief00

I think Polley needs to learn minutes are precious and therefore he needs to play with a sense of urgency. Danny is not putting him on the court to cruise around for 30 minutes and to vote present.

Reaction Score
I said it before and was profoundly criticized here. Alterique cannot be counted on to be the engine that drives this train. He is too injury prone and if a season's success depends on his health, then forget it. They needs others in line to take his place. I am happy that he did so well prior to his injury and I a saddened that he got hurt again. Please don't get me wrong here. But it is really time for UConn to look for someone else.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I said it before and was profoundly criticized here.

You were criticized for saying he either (a) wouldn't play at all this season, or (b) would suffer a season-ending injury in the first game. Rightfully so, if I may add.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I said it before and was profoundly criticized here. Alterique cannot be counted on to be the engine that drives this train. He is too injury prone and if a season's success depends on his health, then forget it. They needs others in line to take his place. I am happy that he did so well prior to his injury and I a saddened that he got hurt again. Please don't get me wrong here. But it is really time for UConn to look for someone else.

Why do you think they brought in Gaffney for next year? Nobody here thinks Gilbert should be expected to stay healthy each of the next 2 or 3 seasons and be counted on to be the man with no backup plan.

And usually, people who are roundly criticized on this board deserve it. SO I would be willing to bet your take was a little hotter than you're presenting it here.

Reaction Score
I think Polley needs to learn minutes are precious and therefore he needs to play with a sense of urgency. Danny is not putting him on the court to cruise around for 30 minutes and to vote present.
"I think Polley needs to learn minutes are precious" Nice play on words, Chief. Intentional or not.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I guess I’m just being selfish. Team is pretty unwatchable with no Jalen or AG. Really don’t kno if I can watch Sunday if both are out.
Yep you are and that is your choice. I for one will try and take some enjoyment from two double doubles even in a blow out loss. I definitely have adjusted my expectations downward, but still look forward to game day

Reaction Score
You were criticized for saying he either (a) wouldn't play at all this season, or (b) would suffer a season-ending injury in the first game. Rightfully so, if I may add.
So I was a few games off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul