Chief’s Briefs - Stonehill | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Stonehill

Reaction Score
The team plays very unselfish and looks for the open teammate. We have two guys who really like to fill the boxscore up with points, rebounds and assists (Castle and Newton). That works well coming from the point guard and small forward position.

I was also encouraged that our team foul shooting improved to 91%. Of course, that stat is often driven by who gets fouled. Castle was 7-7 with many FT’s just touching the bottom of the nets. That’s nice to see from the PG position since he will have the ball at key times. No starter missed a foul shot other than Donovan. Karaban, Spencer and Newton were all 4-4.

Spencer has been a disappointment on his 3 ball going 2-10. He seems to be leaning back when he shoots a 3 and that flattens the shot and removes the arch.

I think what we are seeing is that Tristen Newton will be a very effective scorer off the point as a swing man. He’s very crafty and now has less ball handling responsibilities other than penetration. He has a good three shot from the corner.

Karaban is vey poise and is an efficient player, who makes the game look easy. He appears stronger when rebounding and absorbing contact on offensive moves. He sets a good example with his play and will put points on the board. Alex’s defense continues to improve.

Samson Johnson has great vertical explosion on his dunks and blocked shots. He is going to be a key player against elite competition because we will need two bigs contributing major minutes. Other than dunks I have not seen him display other post moves yet, but I believe overall that he has a good upside.

The next 7 weeks of elite competition and road trips will be a real test especially with Donovan still recovering from his foot injury and the resulting inactivity. With a healthy Donovan I see us trapping more this year on defense with the eraser back in the paint. I think we will face lots of zone this season until we prove we can hit the 3 consistently.

Reaction Score
bring on the zone. cam's a career 40% 3pt shooter.
Cam should improve but his shooting motion looks a bit weird to me. He seems to hold the ball with hand further back than usual. This makes him start the shot by bringing his hand & the ball over his head towards basket. With a classic J, the shot starts with ball slightly in front of the head. Maybe he did this to compensate for height reasons. But if he’s a 40% shooter, then who cares- fire away!

Reaction Score
Keep shooting. Strongly believe those shots will fall. More worried about cam getting hounded on D when we play higher level talent. Need a little more there from him, otherwise can’t complain too much with 12,6,5

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Spencer has been a disappointment on his 3 ball going 2-10. He seems to be leaning back when he shoots a 3 and that flattens the shot and removes the arch.
I admit this micro-management is driving me crazy. Just today, 2 of his misses were literally by millimeters. Those go in, it's 40% The fact that the shots were taken within the flow of the offense means more to me. That one he hit was pure.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Keep shooting. Strongly believe those shots will fall. More worried about cam getting hounded on D when we play higher level talent. Need a little more there from him, otherwise can’t complain too much with 12,6,5
Agree…he got burned on a couple back cuts today but I have to think a little film review with Hurley will address this. New team, new system…hes too good/competitive not to adjust.

Reaction Score
I think Spencer will be fine in the long run. His history tells us he's a good shooter. Remember the progress Joey C. made at the defensive end from beginning of the season to end of last year. He just needs to position himself a little better. He will be attacked though by other offenses for the time being.

I know some will think I'm crazy, but I still have a little concern about DC against other bigs. HIs foot work is great, but he sometimes gets started too far underneath. He just needs to finish a little more consistently because I don't think he's going to put of Sanogo's number from the FT line, so he has to be very good when he gets his chances. Would love to see a 3 fall here and there for him.

I think Karaban could end up making more of a jump than was expected. He looks a lot stronger without sacrifices any of his quickness. He's heady and knows where to get. I remember watching his high school highlights and he was pretty good at getting to the rim and finishing with either hand. I don't think he was strong enough to do that against better competition last year. That may change and with the way he can shoot, guys will have to play up on him.

I also want to see how refs call Newton during Big East play. It wasn't that he was bad last year. They let teams mug him every game. He was good in league and great against non-conference teams.

This team is very fun to watch. I love how they have confidence in each other and are willing to share the ball.

Reaction Score
Need the briefs to be briefer

A briefs shouldn’t need a tl;dr
I recognize the impulse is to please our beloved Casual Fans and there is nothing wrong with that.. But, there was a lot to analyze with all the new players and guys stepping into new roles. Amazingly in a 40 Point blow-out, the game really slowed down and Chief could see a lot.

Reaction Score
Briefs are a must read for me. Chief don't change anything. Look forward to a great season.
Thanks. Chief appreciates your sentiments. Admittedly they are not for everyone, and believe it or not there was so much more I could have gotten into.

Reaction Score
The team plays very unselfish and looks for the open teammate. We have two guys who really like to fill the boxscore up with points, rebounds and assists (Castle and Newton). That works well coming from the point guard and small forward position.

I was also encouraged that our team foul shooting improved to 91%. Of course, that stat is often driven by who gets fouled. Castle was 7-7 with many FT’s just touching the bottom of the nets. That’s nice to see from the PG position since he will have the ball at key times. No starter missed a foul shot other than Donovan. Karaban, Spencer and Newton were all 4-4.

I think what we are seeing is that Tristen Newton will be a very effective scorer off the point as a swing man. He’s very crafty and now has less ball handling responsibilities other than penetration. He has a good three shot from the corner.

Karaban is vey poise and is an efficient player, who makes the game look easy. He appears stronger when rebounding and absorbing contact on offensive moves. He sets a good example with his play and will put points on the board. Alex’s defense continues to improve.

Samson Johnson has great vertical explosion on his dunks and blocked shots. He is going to be a key player against elite competition because we will need two bigs contributing major minutes. Other than dunks I have not seen him display other post moves yet, but I believe overall that he has a good upside.

The next 7 weeks of elite competition and road trips will be a real test especially with Donovan still recovering from his foot injury and the resulting inactivity. With a healthy Donovan I see us trapping more this year on defense with the eraser back in the paint. I think we will face lots of zone this season until we prove we can hit the 3 consistently.
I have not seen either game but I came into the season assuming Newton is the PG. I'm assuming he still. I think you are being a bit passive aggressive and attempting to start an argument about who is the PG. Starting arguments is not normally your style.

Reaction Score
I recognize the impulse is to please our beloved Casual Fans and there is nothing wrong with that.. But, there was a lot to analyze with all the new players and guys stepping into new roles. Amazingly in a 40 Point blow-out, the game really slowed down and Chief could see a lot.
But what is a brief that is not brief Chief

Reaction Score
Spencer is our big worry for 3's? No, he will improve but run in streaks, Joey did. Just need him to be there in March.

Reaction Score
I have not seen either game but I came into the season assuming Newton is the PG. I'm assuming he still. I think you are being a bit passive aggressive and attempting to start an argument about who is the PG. Starting arguments is not normally your style.
Castle is definitely the point guard. He was also our leading rebounder. Newton, I think may be our leading scorer this season. While we debate who is PG, Spencer led in assists yesterday. It is basically a very unselfish team, so the guy who makes the last pass gets the assist. All 5 starters were in double figures. Castle and Newton can create leading to assists.

While Clingan only played 16 minutes, he had 16 points and a rebound every 2 minutes. He dominated early but Johnson also will be key as Donovan’s injury recovey continues. Samson played 21 minutes, was 4-5 on FG but only 1 rebound.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
….. beloved Casual Fans …..
You have dropped the 3rd person schtick….perhaps it’s time to drop this bit. It is funny, but I suspect you use it seriously, which “quite frankly” is condescending.

Reaction Score
Cam should improve but his shooting motion looks a bit weird to me. He seems to hold the ball with hand further back than usual. This makes him start the shot by bringing his hand & the ball over his head towards basket. With a classic J, the shot starts with ball slightly in front of the head. Maybe he did this to compensate for height reasons. But if he’s a 40% shooter, then who cares- fire away!
He played in the B10 last year and while that league is vastly overrated I wasn’t aware that they were short.

Reaction Score
You have dropped the 3rd person schtick….perhaps it’s time to drop this bit. It is funny, but I suspect you use it seriously, which “quite frankly” is condescending.
Did you happen to read the start of title of this thread (“Chief’s Briefs”)?

So you believe “beloved Casual Fans” is condescending? I can only imagine what else you view as condescending? Many wear Casual Fan as a badge of honor, @nomar for example. smartly embraces the label of “1 Casual Fan” to the extent of trade marking it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two games not a lot to complain about for sure. One observation is it seems the guards and Clingan are not completely in synch on the alley oops. Seems the timing is just off a tad. Maybe some rust from Clingan injury, not sure. Seems Joey C and Donovan were always in synch. whatecer it is im Sure it’s just an adjustment thingy

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It is basically a very unselfish team, so the guy who makes the last pass gets the assist.
And at the same time, they don't seem to be afraid to take the open shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom