Chief’s Briefs - St John’s Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - St John’s Edition

Reaction Score
Brian O’Connell is about as anti Hurley and UConn as you can get. He bad mouths Hurley all summer long. To have him be the crew leader in a UConn Quarter Final game is yet a new low by a League Commissioner, who sets one new low after another.
The BE commissioner is an incompetent ightweight with no business running the best BB conf in the country and managing to collect peanuts in revenue, but that for another day.

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
Tristen kept us together tonight and made big play after big play - especially in the first half.
Spencer is our rock. Tristen is our boulder. He is transforming into ncaa Tristen. Hope that left elbow is ok……

Reaction Score
he came close telling the refs it was Spencer's foul
If Spencer is #12, then that's exactly what he was saying. :D

I just can't figure the officiating and the inconsistency. The only explanation, acceptable to me, is that the refs are just not used to seeing a unique person like Clingan, and we have an advantage from watching from above. He always seems to get called for very light contact.

Reaction Score
Tristen Newton was outstanding with Donovan a victim of UConn’s Big East officiating handicap. Tristen had 20 points in the first half as Donovan was riding the 2 foul pine and Karaban was cold.

Stewart, Spencer and Diarra also played well.

It is that time of the season. I will try to put my personal feelings about Rick Pitino aside - and focus on the game but I would love him leaving as a losing coach tonight, eventhough I respect his coaching ability.

Brian O’Connell is about as anti Hurley and UConn as you can get. He bad mouths Hurley all summer long. To have him be the crew leader in a UConn Quarter Final game is yet a new low by a League Commissioner, who sets one new low after another.
As a result Donovan missed 1/2 of the first half.

Once again Samson Johnson’s high hedge BS puts him hopelessly out of position in the post on defense and defensive rebounds. We have seen this all season - enough is enough - the high hedge is a disaster for Samson. Coach Hurley admit the truth! Let Samson figure out the center position before you have him defend a guard 25 feet from the basket.

Fortunately Stewart came in as back up center and played well. He ran the floor well. We shot 63% to 42% FG in first half but only up by 5. Giving up 9 offensive rebounds with Samson out of position killed us.

UConn leading FG by 12% and 3pt by 5%. Karaban came on with big plays late. Spencer and Newton both finished with 9 assists. We had 4 less rebounds but 7 more assists. Newton led with 25 and Spencer had 20 with a strong 4 for 5 from three.

Diarra had 10 and handle the ball well against pressure, a key to winning today.
Good win! Next!
I was just curious which games O’Connell had for us this year and it looked to be the SH loss, 1 pt win over Nova, Creighton loss and the closer Marquette game. I could be missing one but that seems suspect. Those are all good teams though too so likely nothing lol.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
After watching PC Vs. Marquette, I think the officiating is generally horrible. That game looked like Australian rules football half the time. I don’t think it’s just us. on that score, our FT shooting was way better than vs. Xavier, partly because neither Johnson nor Clingan went to the stripe.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Chief, Samson has not gotten burned on the high hedge more than a small handful of times the whole year.

I know this is your narrative, but it is absolutely untrue. Postivies outweigh the negatives of it. And always will.
I think he takes the high hedge out too high. It's almost like once he comes out to just inside the 3 point line, the opposition knows he's committed and will drag him out halfway from there to half-court.
But when he's moving on offense and creates an open lane to the hoop, it's almost magical. Uncontested dunks by the other team's big are deflating to their mindset.

Reaction Score
Agree Chief that the officiating made the game 7 vs 5. The SJ high hedge costs us more than helps us. Why doesn't Sam playi it more like Clingan?
Why should we have to beat the refs every time we play a BE game ? Robbed us of Clingan for the game. Not fair to the player or fans.
Coming from the eyes and mind of 86 yr.old basketball coach,fan,observer.
GO UCONN !!

Reaction Score
That was the worst game on defense we`ve played this season. Castle was utterly atrocious! Fouling, getting screened constantly and just leaving guys open he looked absolutely lost. That was our C- game tonight and im being kind. If DC and Slam get in foul trouble in the tourney we are cooked. AK cant guard a chair in the post. Speaking of AKs foul on a 3 point attempt was the perfect exclamation to todays putrid defense. Lets all hope we dont run into UK. Anyway shout out to the rocks of this team Cam and Tristan.
"Yes if our starting center and back up center get in foul trouble, we are cooked" said by every team in the tournament

Reaction Score
I think he takes the high hedge out too high. It's almost like once he comes out to just inside the 3 point line, the opposition knows he's committed and will drag him out halfway from there to half-court.
But when he's moving on offense and creates an open lane to the hoop, it's almost magical. Uncontested dunks by the other team's big are deflating to their mindset.
He needs to YELL like STICKS did on every slam. That would make him intimidating.

Def too high on the hedge. When it works its great but he puts himself out of position too often resulting in foolish fouls

Reaction Score
Don’t like to buy into the anti UConn by officials
But today changed my mind
-st johns was constantly holding on the press
Very obvious but never called
Caused a 5 second call

-2 defensive rebound fouls which made no sense given how much contact was allowed especially
As they did not affect the play

Numerous obvious fouls not called on t newtons
Drives to the basket

Perhaps time to expand the pool of officials
Agree, one has to view the calls in context. Newton and Castle get fouled frequently on drives, that are never called. Donovan is being pushed nearly the whole possession in the paint - yet we see these touch fouls the other way.

Reaction Score
The BE commissioner is an incompetent ightweight with no business running the best BB conf in the country and managing to collect peanuts in revenue, but that for another day.
And look how the WNBA treats its players in compensation - Val’s previous job.

Reaction Score
Agree Chief that the officiating made the game 7 vs 5. The SJ high hedge costs us more than helps us. Why doesn't Sam playi it more like Clingan?
Why should we have to beat the refs every time we play a BE game ? Robbed us of Clingan for the game. Not fair to the player or fans.
Coming from the eyes and mind of 86 yr.old basketball coach,fan,observer.
GO UCONN !!
Samson should play it exactly like Clingan and this is directed at our coaches as much as him. True, Fox network missed the best player in the conference and most dominant player in the nation for 1/2 game on inconsistent calls.
Calhoun used to like Bigs to start their game on both defense and offense in the paint. I think that’s still true today, despite the a good 3 being a plus.

Reaction Score
Tristen kept us together tonight and made big play after big play - especially in the first half.
He refused to let St. John's beat UConn. And, his defense is superb- he has quick feet and is usually able to get back in position even if his opponent has a step on him. It shows with how many offensive fouls he draws

Reaction Score
Was this not able to be changed in game? I wasn’t able to attend to the game as much in this moment.
IMG_7259.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom