Chief’s Briefs - St John’s Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - St John’s Edition

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I just want the officials to be consistent half-to-half and night-to-night. The notion that they can 'regulate' the game by tightening or loosening the whistles just leaves the players guessing what a foul is... I can live with missed calls but ignored calls kill me.

Reaction Score
They probably took him out back and let him know the error of his ways after the game.

UConn isn’t going to get calls until we start thumping people. I don’t mean the score, I mean hard fouls. Dan had that long session jawing with two refs, and I am a good lip reader. He seemed to be suggesting that what they are letting go is dangerous for the kids. The reality of non-calls on physical fouls is that teams will just keep escalating until it does get called. That’s how people get hurt.
Excellent point.

Reaction Score
You get the sense that the league is more invested in promoting its "old school, physical basketball" reputation/narrative than to put out a product that is appealing to watch and showcases its best teams.
Someone should tell Val Ewing, Oakley, Laimbeer and MJ have long been retired and the NBA gave up that style of play 20+ years ago

Reaction Score
Someone should tell Val Ewing, Oakley, Laimbeer and MJ have long been retired and the NBA gave up that style of play 20+ years ago
Touchy subject but this is the same commissioner responsible for developing the WNBA, where players had to play offseason overseas to make a decent wage. Yet, she still made no money.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Even back on the Calhoun era, Pittsburgh would benefit from Big East reffing allowing grabbing and holding but then implode during the NCAA tournament with national rules, I am all for physical play and but allowing all the grabbing is wrong. I also think they need to be consistent when guys are in the act of shooting, how much contact they allow. There was a glaring inconsistency during the first half on how that was called,
Those battles were so much fun to watch.

Also showed just how versatile the team was that it could go bang with a Pitt but then go toe to toe skill wise with the Nova’s of the world and in the tournament. We were better for it.

Those Pitt battles had a way of showing who was really tough or not on the team.

Reaction Score
Those Pitt battles had a way of showing who was really tough or not on the team.
In retrospect, Thabeet getting tossed around like a rag doll by DeJuan Blair should have been more of a red flag for NBA GMs. (Incidentally, Blair had a longer NBA career than Thabeet despite being drafted 35 slots later.)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
In retrospect, Thabeet getting tossed around like a rag doll by DeJuan Blair should have been more of a red flag for NBA GMs. (Incidentally, Blair had a longer NBA career than Thabeet despite being drafted 35 slots later.)
I feel like a large amount of UConn fans knew that Thabeet was going to be a bust.

Always seemed like Calhoun was trying to do different things to make him play tougher and more aggressive.

This was a fun watch last night. If you skip to the 28:15 mark you’ll see Thabeet make a hard foul and Calhoun’s reaction when he comes out is kind of funny.

The amount of times bodies hit the floor to no foul call in this game had me crying laughing.

Reaction Score

Blair should have been ejected for that foul. He literally threw HT to the floor.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I feel like a large amount of UConn fans knew that Thabeet was going to be a bust.

Always seemed like Calhoun was trying to do different things to make him play tougher and more aggressive.

This was a fun watch last night. If you skip to the 28:15 mark you’ll see Thabeet make a hard foul and Calhoun’s reaction when he comes out is kind of funny.

The amount of times bodies hit the floor to no foul call in this game had me crying laughing.

This is a great game to watch if you turn it off with 5 mins left. AJ Price really took over at the end. That’s how I’m going to choose to remember it.

Reaction Score
I get the argument that the priority of the coaching staff was to develop Samson. I agree that to be the right priority entering the year. But we had several games where we were up 25 to 30 points with 4-5 minutes to go. Those were the minutes that Singare needed to play (if he wasn't going to be red-shirted). That's my only criticism with regard to Singare.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom