Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SMU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, the team connected the dots on what Coach Hurley has been emphasizing.
Chief believes it’s so important to have the foul advantage as I posted last game. In the first half we saw that. Getting into the bonus early while the other team isn’t getting those easy points makes the differences. Chief saw less silly fouls today, in part because we defensively handled the top of the key pick and roll action much better. When our defense breaks down and the other team has mismatches bad things happen. Unfortunately, we did not keep the foul advantage in the second half and our lead slipped at times.

Don’t forget the recent Jalen quote about feeling it, tonight he felt it. I thought Jalen played well, scoring easily while not forcing things. In part, we schemed so SMU couldn’t double team Jalen as much, another Hurley point of emphasis. It worked.

Vital and Gilbert knocked down outside shots. Shot 6 of 10 from the three line in the first half. I thought both played with poise.

Chief is still disappointed with our rebounding. That’s why we desperately need Bigs. Having said that Sid Wilson made a huge difference tonight with his shot blocking, which often led to points. It’s clear he will be getting more minutes and Polley less. Polley needs to value his minutes more and not put it on cruise control. When you do that silly fouls also follow. You are not out there to burn minutes but to produce with urgency.

Give SMU credit by switching to zone and mixing up different zones to keep our offense off balance in the second half. Chief thought they drove more, hence more foul calls.

Another one of Danny’s points of emphasis was to shut down McMurrary and they succeeded at that. A big key to the game.

Bottomline, when you make over half your shots the game becomes easier and you become more successful.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's what I liked.

1. Keeping the lead during last 5 min of first half. Too many times a good half and solid lead were passed away just before half.

2. Sid's energy. He has to get minutes. Besides the blocks I liked the quick outlet pass he snapped off in the second half and his turnaround jumper after scramble for offensive rebound.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good summary. Overall a nice win. It’s clear that Sid has earned time and Polley has lost some. He has no confidence right now. Sid is aggressive. He needs to shoot better but he isn’t taking any crap from anybody.

Overall I keep waiting for these guys to look like they are teammates who have some understanding of what each other will be doing. Some team play, cutting, movement, in short, instinctive basketball. Saw some tonight. Have not seen much since Syracuse. My hope is that they turned the corner and will keep looking more and more cohesive. Sid could be a huge part of that. He changes the game on D and needs to add some scoring.

pj

Reaction Score
Overall I keep waiting for these guys to look like they are teammates who have some understanding of what each other will be doing. Some team play, cutting, movement, in short, instinctive basketball. Saw some tonight. Have not seen much since Syracuse. My hope is that they turned the corner and will keep looking more and more cohesive. Sid could be a huge part of that. He changes the game on D and needs to add some scoring.

The rotation is shortening. Carlton has clearly beaten Cobb at center, Sid is taking over most time at the 4 after missing the first games, and Gilbert/Adams/Vital have locked down the perimeter. With this group getting so much time on the court together, chemistry should follow.

Reaction Score
SMU is not one of the tougher AAC opponents. Not as strong up front. I am looking forward to Cincinnati, Houston, Temple, Memphis, Tulsa and Wichita State. But I do hope this can be the start of something. Overall, glad we won!

Reaction Score
Here's what I liked.

1. Keeping the lead during last 5 min of first half. Too many times a good half and solid lead were passed away just before half.

2. Sid's energy. He has to get minutes. Besides the blocks I liked the quick outlet pass he snapped off in the second half and his turnaround jumper after scramble for offensive rebound.
Sid had a great defensive rebound toward the end of the game. It was falling to the floor between him and a couple SMU guys and he made a super athletic grab on the ball. It was a great show of his overall athleticism and that he's not just a leaper. He's a great overall athlete.

Reaction Score
Shout out to Jalen. Played very well today. I would still like to see him come out with a little more urgency at the start of games. But he rebounded nicely after that. Rique is making strides good to see. Sid is a player. We can beat Cincy if we shoot they way we did tonight. It will be ugly, but i'm looking forward to Hurley vs Cronin on the sidelines. I'll have my popcorn ready haha

Reaction Score
My biggest "like" was the fact that almost every time down the court, they had multiple players touching the ball. This does a few things. 1. Keeps everyone in the game focused. 2 Makes the defense work that much harder with fewer easy defensive plays. 3. Offense has a much better shot at getting a better shot. Nice, badly needed win.

Reaction Score
What did you think of the early Whaley minutes?
I think Whaley is what he is. Hes a good rebounder and has potential on the defensive end because of his length, however he fouls too much and his offensive game is non-existent. Put back layups and lobs at best.

Reaction Score
I think Whaley is what he is. Hes a good rebounder and has potential on the defensive end because of his length, however he fouls too much and his offensive game is non-existent. Put back layups and lobs at best.
I thought throwing him out there for those few minutes of zone was a nice change of pace. We used it pretty strategically.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The best thing about tonight’s win was that literally everyone contributed in the fashion you expect them to contribute. No one was significantly worse than expected individually, or a detriment to the team concept.

Except the fans.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The rotation is shortening. Carlton has clearly beaten Cobb at center, Sid is taking over most time at the 4 after missing the first games, and Gilbert/Adams/Vital have locked down the perimeter. With this group getting so much time on the court together, chemistry should follow.
hmmm, check ol' cliffys post in "Starting Lineup Change?" couldn't be clearer, or more solitary… something more recent? well, check ol' cliffys post in todays "SMU Haiku"--"hatin' J? no soup for you."

Reaction Score
SMU is pretty bad though, glad the first conference win is out of the way but the Mustangs are a bottom half conference team.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, the team connected the dots on what Coach Hurley has been emphasizing.
Chief believes it’s so important to have the foul advantage as I posted last game. In the first half we saw that. Getting into the bonus early while the other team isn’t getting those easy points makes the differences. Chief saw less silly fouls today, in part because we defensively handled the top of the key pick and roll action much better. When our defense breaks down and the other team has mismatches bad things happen. Unfortunately, we did not keep the foul advantage in the second half and our lead slipped at times.

Don’t forget the recent Jalen quote about feeling it, tonight he felt it. I thought Jalen played well, scoring easily while not forcing things. In part, we schemed so SMU couldn’t double team Jalen as much, another Hurley point of emphasis. It worked.

Vital and Gilbert knocked down outside shots. Shot 6 of 10 from the three line in the first half. I thought both played with poise.

Chief is still disappointed with our rebounding. That’s why we desperately need Bigs. Having said that Sid Wilson made a huge difference tonight with his shot blocking, which often led to points. It’s clear he will be getting more minutes and Polley less. Polley needs to value his minutes more and not put it on cruise control. When you do that silly fouls also follow. You are not out there to burn minutes but to produce with urgency.

Give SMU credit by switching to zone and mixing up different zones to keep our offense off balance in the second half. Chief thought they drove more, hence more foul calls.

Another one of Danny’s points of emphasis was to shut down McMurrary and they succeeded at that. A big key to the game.

Bottomline, when you make over half your shots the game becomes easier and you become more successful.

Nice brief as always, Chief.

I’m not surprised the team shot the ball well tonight. It’s not a coincidence it came on a night where the team took better care of the ball and cut down on fouls.

Shooting is mostly about skill/touch, but rhythm and momentum are important too. It’s hard for shooters to get it going when the games are sloppy. Tonight had a good flow to the game for the most part.

Reaction Score
Make your threes and the game is easier.. I bet even the casual fans know that.

Especially when the other team doesn't.

They were expected to make 8 on 23 attempts, we were expected to make 7 (with home court adjustment) on 19. We made 9, they made 3. That's a 21 point deviation. We won by 12. Hooray us.

We gave up 23 offensive rebounds and they rebounded over half their misses. Have to do so much better.

Reaction Score

Chief is not alone in this concern. I pointed this out in some of the cupcake blowouts and gotten beaten up a bit over it. We allowed SMU to get offensive rebounds on over half of their misses. That is an unbelievably atrocious statistic. We won because we shot well. In games where we make about half of our 3-pointers, we can overcome the warts like rebounding and have a decent chance of winning. Indeed we desperately need a good center. All that said, it was nice to get back in the "W" column, and against a decent team that we have struggled to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom