Chief’s Briefs - SH / Big East Refs Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SH / Big East Refs Edition

Reaction Score
We need to play zone without Clingan, I know zone leads to offensive rebounds, but we can't rebound without Clingan anyway, so what difference does it make. I wouldn't mind seeing Stewart at center. I know he is short, but he would bring a physical presence to the position we are lacking without Clingan. Maybe Stewart could give us a Toraino Walker type of performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need to play zone without Clingan, I know zone leads to offensive rebounds, but we can't rebound without Clingan anyway, so what difference does it make. I wouldn't mind seeing Stewart at center. I know he is short, but he would bring a physical presence to the position we are lacking without Clingan.
LOL

Reaction Score
Blaming refs is embarrassing.
Too bad you and others feel that way. I personally feel fans not giving the other team credit, independent of their feelings on refs, to be more of a disappointment.

BTW, I am sure other teams fans who point to our fans "embarrassing" behavior are hypocritically blaming the refs when their team loses. I would not give two cents about being embarrassed. But that's me.

Reaction Score
Can we stop putting this on the refs? What non-calls did you want in the first half?
Watch our very first possession of the game. We had it for almost a minute. Uconn is known for it's motion offense, crisp cuts etc. At 19:26 Clingan is setting a screen and Bediako has his arm wrapped around DC's waste. Bumps tugs and holding that are interpreted by the refs as good defense or fouls. Its\'s a contact sport, I know, but who decides what contact is a foul? Either way, such play affects the timing and reaction of players and ultimately in their performance. Having said that, I am sure that UConn is guilty of similar play. The POINT is: one team is better at the style of play than the other and it is the officials who dictate the style. UConn on another day could have overcome such physicality and won. They could not do it last night. Credit to Seton Hall and back to work for UConn.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Clingan was on bench too much before his injury. My guess is we were a plus with him on the court. He was the one match-up they coukd not handle. Karaban’s shooting now is in a legitimate slump - I hope he breaks out soon.
I thought AK hoisted some ill advised shots last night, but I also wonder if it's a by product of him not getting very many open looks for a few games now.

Reaction Score
Watch our very first possession of the game. We had it for almost a minute. Uconn is known for its motion offense, crisp cuts etc. At 19:26 Clingan is setting a screen and Bediako has his arm wrapped around DC's waste. Bumps tugs and holding that are interpreted by the refs as good defense or fouls. Its\'s a contact sport, I know, but who decides what contact is a foul? Either way, such play affects the timing and reaction of players and ultimately in their performance. Having said that, I am sure that UConn is guilty of similar play. The POINT is: one team is better at the style of play than the other and it is the officials who dictate the style. UConn on another day could have overcome such physicality and won. They could not do it last night. Credit to Seton Hall and back to work for UConn.
I just went and watched that. If they call that a foul then the game of basketball is completely unwatchable.

Last nights game was very physical and could more fouls have been called? Sure. But for fans to come and complain that the refs were awful and impacted us is crap.

Seton Hall attacked us, especially when Clingan was out, we had no answers for them. We played poorly and lost the game.

Refs sucks sometimes, but we just won a national championship (which included our favorite Jeff Anderson reffing two of our games). Not every loss is because of them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We need to play zone without Clingan, I know zone leads to offensive rebounds, but we can't rebound without Clingan anyway, so what difference does it make. I wouldn't mind seeing Stewart at center. I know he is short, but he would bring a physical presence to the position we are lacking without Clingan. Maybe Stewart could give us a Toraino Walker type of performance.
We don't need to play zone, we just need Johnson in drop. Hurley set the defense up like last year. Hedging with Johnson/Sanogo (because that's the way he wants to play) and in drop with Clingan. The reality is we don't have forwards that are good enough covering the paint to run the high hedge even with Johnson. It's even worse when one of them is Ball. If we are facing a 5 that shoots from outside, then the 5 needs to go out. Otherwise they should be in drop.

If we had Donyell, Donny Marshall, Stanley Robinson or Deandre Daniels at F it would be a different story. Honestly, that's what Johnson was supposed to be at the 4. This defense really needs weakside help shot blocking. Maybe Castle can do that, he did a bit yesterday, but he needs to be starting.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall limited our freedom of movement on offense with aggressive physical guarding. Our response was to further limit our own movement by standing around. We played right into Seton Hall’s hands.

As for refs, some crews will call a bunch of fouls on SH’s style of defense. Others won’t. You can’t ever bank on officials calling a tight game, particularly in the Big East.

The officials let things go in terms of on-ball defense, but called fouls on drives under the basket. SH took advantage of that on both sides of the floor. We didn’t have any answers or adjustment on either end.

Reaction Score
We don't need to play zone, we just need Johnson in drop. Hurley set the defense up like last year. Hedging with Johnson/Sanogo (because that's the way he wants to play) and in drop with Clingan. The reality is we don't have forwards that are good enough covering the paint to run the high hedge even with Johnson. It's even worse when one of them is Ball. If we are facing a 5 that shoots from outside, then the 5 needs to go out. Otherwise they should be in drop.

If we had Donyell, Donny Marshall, Stanley Robinson or Deandre Daniels at F it would be a different story. Honestly, that's what Johnson was supposed to be at the 4. This defense really needs weakside help shot blocking. Maybe Castle can do that, he did a bit yesterday, but he needs to be starting.

2nd half zone defense almost won the Marquette BET game last year. Something needs to change if DC is out, we can all agree on that.

Reaction Score
Kind of mind boggling how many things went bad for UConn last night. Bad shooting, lack of toughness, couldn't stop anybody defensively. We're still the dominant team we were two days ago, just got some things pointed out to us that are deficiencies.

The refs had a consistent style last night and were reason #73 that the game went the way it did.

Reaction Score
I just went and watched that. If they call that a foul then the game of basketball is completely unwatchable.

Last nights game was very physical and could more fouls have been called? Sure. But for fans to come and complain that the refs were awful and impacted us is crap.

Seton Hall attacked us, especially when Clingan was out, we had no answers for them. We played poorly and lost the game.

Refs sucks sometimes, but we just won a national championship (which included our favorite Jeff Anderson reffing two of our games). Not every loss is because of them.
Disagree with everything you said, except for what is outlined in bold. Which is the only thing that really matters anyway.

Reaction Score
We were out hustled and out played. SH attacked the basket. It looked like a layup line for them. Not time to hit the panic button. I just hope DC is ok. If not we are in for a rough ride.
Let’s get out of 2023 with no more injuries. Start the year off well.

Reaction Score
I thought it was Danny’s plan to use Samson to back up both Don and Alex.
And this is where I miss Richie Springs.
Good point about Richie Springs. Kind of an enigma - always played well when he got time - but never got more time. We could use his toughness in the paint this year.

Reaction Score
Good point about Richie Springs. Kind of an enigma - always played well when he got time - but never got more time. We could use his toughness in the paint this year.
Yup, especially with that open scholarship currently sitting on the bench. Should have brought Springs back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You underestimate how early on the refs can change the trajectory of a game. Impacts chemistry, a player’s minutes and rotations.
That was my point. Huskies played ok until Seton Hall realized just what they could get away with. To their credit, they turned it up to 11 on both ends. UConn was shell shocked. Even our shooters looked out of sorts and missed lots of open looks. It's a learning point for the team and staff. They'll be better as a result. Still lack much physicality on the roster, so these won't ever be easy games for this team.

Reaction Score
After Clingan got hurt, I think Hurley should have packed the entire team in the paint and let Seton Hall shoot open 3s. Their offensive effectiveness at shooting wide open 3s probably would have been lower than the layups and free throws they were getting.

Reaction Score
That was my point. Huskies played ok until Seton Hall realized just what they could get away with. To their credit, they turned it up to 11 on both ends. UConn was shell shocked. Even our shooters looked out of sorts and missed lots of open looks. It's a learning point for the team and staff. They'll be better as a result. Still lack much physicality on the roster, so these won't ever be easy games for this team.

They were absolutely allowed to beat us up. They especially beat up Newton and he reacted poorly to it. Bediako (sp?) is an absolute hack and Wusu can’t guard a chair without holding it first. But it was allowed and you adjust, there will be more coming soon. Time to toughen up as a team and staff.

Reaction Score
We were up by 10 and the refs changed the tempo of the game, then give Seton Hall credit they took advantage of Clingan on the bench and then his injury.

I think you're off target on this one Chief. Of all the games we've ever played, this is the one game where blaming the refs, or even complaining about the refs, doesn't seem to be on anyone's mind except yours. This game was just an old fashion ass whipping. We got outcoached, outplayed and out hustled. Completely.

If the refs were in our pockets, they couldn't have change this game in our favor. This was all about what Seton Hall did, and what we didn't do.

Reaction Score
When I coached a game like this we saw how it was called and played accordingly. Physical vs Physical.
Sometime you have to adjust to the officiating.
Knowing the officials ahead of time in home games you can coach to the way the game will be officiated. At least be aware of what to expect.

Reaction Score
Castle will be good eventually but where’s his offensive game? And he got turned over with his passes tonight too. You can go to the NBA with what we’ve seen so far? He needs 2 seasons minimum.
That just proves he’s not ready to play in the NBA yet. It is irrelevant to whether the NBA is so confident that he will be an impact NBA player in a few years that someone will take him as a lottery pick before he’s ready.

Reaction Score
We miss Sanogo who was always the beast on the court.

Reaction Score
That just proves he’s not ready to play in the NBA yet. It is irrelevant to whether the NBA is so confident that he will be an impact NBA player in a few years that someone will take him as a lottery pick before he’s ready.
I agree another year in college is best long term for Stephon. But, he is going to be a player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom