Chief’s Briefs - SH / Big East Refs Edition | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SH / Big East Refs Edition

Reaction Score
When I coached a game like this we saw how it was called and played accordingly. Physical vs Physical.
Sometime you have to adjust to the officiating.
Knowing the officials ahead of time in home games you can coach to the way the game will be officiated. At least be aware of what to expect.
Good advice.

Reaction Score
Twelve games into the season, this is the first time I mentioned officiating in the Briefs. A pure coincidence, that it is our first Big East game?
No it’s not a coincidence at all, but not for the reason you think.

Reaction Score
I think you're off target on this one Chief. Of all the games we've ever played, this is the one game where blaming the refs, or even complaining about the refs, doesn't seem to be on anyone's mind except yours. This game was just an old fashion ass whipping. We got outcoached, outplayed and out hustled. Completely.

If the refs were in our pockets, they couldn't have change this game in our favor. This was all about what Seton Hall did, and what we didn't do.
Donovan was our big match up advantage and the refs put him on the bench early and then the injury occurred. With Donovan playing minutes we would have won by double figures. He sets up a lot of threes too by screening and attention on him in the paint.

Reaction Score
I think you're off target on this one Chief. Of all the games we've ever played, this is the one game where blaming the refs, or even complaining about the refs, doesn't seem to be on anyone's mind except yours. This game was just an old fashion ass whipping. We got outcoached, outplayed and out hustled. Completely.

If the refs were in our pockets, they couldn't have change this game in our favor. This was all about what Seton Hall did, and what we didn't do.
I don’t think this game was lost cuz of the refs but there is no arguing for some reason we struggle in big east play while dominating out of conference. We’re 13-8 in the BE and 27-1 OOC the last two years with a top offense. That’s not a small sample size.

Reaction Score
If you watched This game and you thought the only reason we lost was the refs, you need to switch what ever hallucinogenic you are on. We didn’t play well, shoot well, hang onto the ball well.
Confucius says “ Refs always suck when one loses “

Reaction Score
We miss Sanogo who was always the beast on the court.
Sanogo was outstanding especially after the coaching staff trained him to pass well from the post and when he faced up to the basket from 10-15 feet away. What is underrated was his defense-they guy was brick wall that couldn't be moved and he was good at helping out.

His best contribution was that he was the true 1 on 1 player that could be given the ball if the motion offense bogged down and he would demand a double team unless the other team wanted to get torched (i.e. Kalkbrenner and Creighton in Gampel last year). He put the team on his back from beginning of February and onwards.

I still have faith in this year's team that they can get it done, but damn even with the good freshmen class UConn lost a lot of muscle, toughness, skill, scoring, and athleticism with Sanogo, Hawk, AJax, Alleyne, and Calcaterra.

Reaction Score
I don’t think this game was lost cuz of the refs but there is no arguing for some reason we struggle in big east play while dominating out of conference. We’re 13-8 in the BE and 27-1 OOC the last two years with a top offense. That’s not a small sample size.
Often, well intentioned Casual Fans look for particular outrageous stand alone late game calls or number of fouls to agree or disagree with Chief. But, it is often how the refs call the game early that sets things up. In this case Donovan getting in foul trouble while UConn built a lead and having to sit. Meanwhile Seton Hall was allowed to grab and hold on defense, which would not have happened anywhere else in the country.

But, keep in mind, I also said we had guys who did not respond.

Reaction Score
Often, well intentioned Casual Fans look for particular outrageous stand alone late game calls or number of fouls to agree or disagree with Chief. But, it is often how the refs call the game early that sets things up. In this case Donovan getting in foul trouble while UConn built a lead and having to sit. Meanwhile Seton Hall was allowed to grab and hold on defense, which would not have happened anywhere else in the country.

But, keep in mind, I also said we had guys who did not respond.
Yea we also need to stop the penetration better before it gets to DC, clearly we’re in trouble is Samson has to play 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
Richmond is a nice player but always plays his best game against us. The refs called a consistent game and that's all you ask for... It does lead to an ugly brand of game though that should be addressed.
Good lord, the refs were not consistent. Hall was all over us, game plan was to hassle us by pushing/bumping/grabbing arms and hands (watch a replay and pay attention to Bediako roughing up Clingan all game with minimal fouls)

It’s okay to admit our team didn’t play well but the refs were garbage. This exact same thing happened last season, the BE or just the refs have decided they don’t like us or they enjoy seeing if they can rile up Danny into tech city.

Reaction Score
If you watched This game and you thought the only reason we lost was the refs, you need to switch what ever hallucinogenic you are on. We didn’t play well, shoot well, hang onto the ball well.
He literally said we didn’t respond well, use your reading skills and stop pretending people are saying something they’re not. Grow up

Reaction Score
For a long stretch in the second half, every time Brian O'Connell blew his whistle, Seton Hall celebrated. And he was the only one blowing his whistle

He is a POS

Having said that. Good athletes executed their game plan and played tough, they beat us with one on one ball. They're not deep, we'll beat them in a rematch

Clingan was our player of the game. In only 14 minutes. Enough said
I’m guessing this is the guy who late in the 2nd half called a foul on diarra who tried to slap away the ball from a drive. The ref was at the 3pt line and the Seton Hall players back to him, but he confidently knew Diarra must have got a lot of contact and called that foul. Honestly reffing like that needs to be fined. There are multiple refs watching the play on the ball, one right under the hoop who I think should be the only one calling that foul. Utter trash

Reaction Score
Looked like a team that was reading their media coverage and figured they could mail it in to win. Then decided to start taking the holidays off on top of that. I hate losing to bad teams and I hate losing to the Hall. This was a case of both. It kind of reminded me of last year’s losing streak where suddenly our shooters missed everything and teams could pack it in and dare Jackson to take 3s. The refs were horrible but if you are a top 5 team you need to overcome that especially against a dog like the friggin’ Hall. Well, on to the Johnnies.

Reaction Score
Good lord, the refs were not consistent. Hall was all over us, game plan was to hassle us by pushing/bumping/grabbing arms and hands (watch a replay and pay attention to Bediako roughing up Clingan all game with minimal fouls)

It’s okay to admit our team didn’t play well but the refs were garbage. This exact same thing happened last season, the BE or just the refs have decided they don’t like us or they enjoy seeing if they can rile up Danny into tech city.
I am in complete agreement. People are in denial about this. The in and out of conference records tell the end result of the discrepancy.

Reaction Score
Looked like a team that was reading their media coverage and figured they could mail it in to win. Then decided to start taking the holidays off on top of that. I hate losing to bad teams and I hate losing to the Hall. This was a case of both. It kind of reminded me of last year’s losing streak where suddenly our shooters missed everything and teams could pack it in and dare Jackson to take 3s. The refs were horrible but if you are a top 5 team you need to overcome that especially against a dog like the friggin’ Hall. Well, on to the Johnnies.
Why do we always have to overcome the Big East refs? Is that a fair hurdle to jump over every conference game. And if we weren’t ready why did we get out to a 10 point lead before the refs sent Donovan to the bench.

Reaction Score
Why do we always have to overcome the Big East refs? Is that a fair hurdle to jump over every conference game. And if we weren’t ready why did we get out to a 10 point lead before the refs sent Donovan to the bench.
Do you think the fouls called on Donovan were bad calls?

Reaction Score
Do you think the fouls called on Donovan were bad calls?
The second one was certainly unlucky if not a bad call. Great defense culminating with a Castle block and they scoop up the 50/50 ball with Big Don in bad position

Reaction Score
The second one was certainly unlucky if not a bad call. Great defense culminating with a Castle block and they scoop up the 50/50 ball with Big Don in bad position
Agree that it was very unlucky, but it was a silly foul. He had no chance of making the block and caught Richardson on the head. It was an easy call for the ref to make.

Reaction Score
Donovan played 14 minutes and had 14 points and 7 rebounds. He was our match-up that game and the refs sidelined him for about half the first half.
If he continued at that rate, he would have had 28 points and 14 rebounds over 28 minutes.
The thing that annoyed me was they allowed grabbing and pushing Donovan but when he responded or blocked shots they blew the whistle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom