Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Seton Hall Edition

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've not seen a college center block and retain shots the way Clingan does. He blocks, tips it up and grabs it. He alters opposing players shots and prevents them from
approaching the paint. Sanogo was amazing and Donovan is equally so in a different way.
Okafor was very good about keeping the ball in play after a block. In someways I find that more impressive than smacking it into the fifth row.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Let me see if I have this straight:
  • The most successful coach in college basketball today needs to "change his thinking & approach"
  • A guy on most NBA lottery boards should stay one more year
  • The coach who has built the best rosters in college ball for two years running, and top 5 offenses per KenPom, doesn't recruit shooters
  • The team's second leading scorer and leader in 3PA doesn't get the ball or have plays called for him
Did I miss anything?
Thank you.

Reaction Score
Great analysis Chief! Now we need to prepare for the BET and NCAA. Of the two, I'd rather win the NCAA. Seems like we have 7 guys that can lead us to victory in any game.
What a luxury!

Reaction Score
Hey Chief & Friends,

This year's Husky team wins by playing unselfishly TOGETHER. No other team I have seen plays together as well. Our level of winning certainly is Not due to its great outside shooting. Playing Great Team Defense is how we've won this year.

What are the attributes of a great shooter? First, great form & release (unlike Newton or Karaban). It's a shooter who can hit more than just two three's in a row - game in, game out - all year long at 40%+ on three's - & quickly shoot his/her team back into a game if its down, like a Caitlin Clark does for her Iowa women's team.

The deal is that great shooters MUST be strongly recruited (& probably paid more too) because they aren't all that common still, as scorers or leapers are. In this new wild professional college hoops era of Transfer Portals, grad players, NIL, 7-year players at many schools, crooked agents & no official rules or even academic standards - & programs competing for hired-gun talents - Hurley will have to change his thinking & approach more towards offense & outside shooters, most of whom are usually Not as defensive-minded as Hurley demands. Castle is tough minded & can guard, but he's not an NBA shooter, not even close! Lottery Pick? Sheesh! He should stay another year.

Danny Hurley has a history of being primarily a defensive-minded coach. He has a history of NOT recruiting great, consistent outside shooters - just one so far at UConn - Hawkins.

UConn's lack of outside shooters rarely being open is because Hurley does NOT have or call plays to get the ball repeatedly to shooters like Spencer, this teams best outside shooter by far. Nor did Hurley even recruit a replacement for Hawkins who could create the space for his shots & also drive to the hoop.

Again without this team completely buying into playing together mantra, this year's Huskies would have had a hard time winning by relying upon its inconsistent shooters to stay close to teams with several good shooters like Houston, Alabama, Tennessee, Marquette or Creighton. Our poor outside shooting may do us in the forthcoming BE & NCAA tournaments.

Father Demo

If I wasn't familiar with other "Father Demo" posts, I would give this the Troll Post of the Year award. But I think they are actually 100% serious with their analysis here. Which is actually spit-out-your-coffee hilarious!

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I've not seen a college center block and retain shots the way Clingan does. He blocks, tips it up and grabs it. He alters opposing players shots and prevents them from
approaching the paint. Sanogo was amazing and Donovan is equally so in a different way.
You never watched Okafor I guess ?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hey Chief & Friends,

This year's Husky team wins by playing unselfishly TOGETHER. No other team I have seen plays together as well. Our level of winning certainly is Not due to its great outside shooting. Playing Great Team Defense is how we've won this year.

What are the attributes of a great shooter? First, great form & release (unlike Newton or Karaban). It's a shooter who can hit more than just two three's in a row - game in, game out - all year long at 40%+ on three's - & quickly shoot his/her team back into a game if its down, like a Caitlin Clark does for her Iowa women's team.

The deal is that great shooters MUST be strongly recruited (& probably paid more too) because they aren't all that common still, as scorers or leapers are. In this new wild professional college hoops era of Transfer Portals, grad players, NIL, 7-year players at many schools, crooked agents & no official rules or even academic standards - & programs competing for hired-gun talents - Hurley will have to change his thinking & approach more towards offense & outside shooters, most of whom are usually Not as defensive-minded as Hurley demands. Castle is tough minded & can guard, but he's not an NBA shooter, not even close! Lottery Pick? Sheesh! He should stay another year.

Danny Hurley has a history of being primarily a defensive-minded coach. He has a history of NOT recruiting great, consistent outside shooters - just one so far at UConn - Hawkins.

UConn's lack of outside shooters rarely being open is because Hurley does NOT have or call plays to get the ball repeatedly to shooters like Spencer, this teams best outside shooter by far. Nor did Hurley even recruit a replacement for Hawkins who could create the space for his shots & also drive to the hoop.

Again without this team completely buying into playing together mantra, this year's Huskies would have had a hard time winning by relying upon its inconsistent shooters to stay close to teams with several good shooters like Houston, Alabama, Tennessee, Marquette or Creighton. Our poor outside shooting may do us in the forthcoming BE & NCAA tournaments.

Father Demo
If UConn only played NBE matches all year I would agree that DH's teams become easier to defend BUT the season has tournaments as well as out of conference games, so UConn becomes a problem to coach against with so many weapons.
Your remarks about Steph show that you don't really understand NBA basketball.

Reaction Score
Newton made 4 of our 6 threes. To win another Championship we need 2-4 guys a game nailing down threes.
Newton and Alex nailing threes in a game, with Clingan effective on the high pick, Castle developing a premier attack the rim, and Cam creating shots like an old pro.

Good luck everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom