Chief’s Briefs - Oklahoma State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Oklahoma State

Reaction Score
I don't understand the issue with the high hedge especially since our last two opponents head coaches both complimented Sanogo in their post game comments. Boynton and Otzelberger both commented on Sanogos hedging as a disruption to their offense and thought it had a big impact on how their offenses were run and letting uconn get into a rhythm defensively.
U expect the coach to say that doesn’t work but we just weren’t well coached enough to exploit it?

Reactions: pj

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Odd to feel disappointed after a 10 point win, but I think it’s because given the quality of this team we really should have won by 20.

There are definitely some things that need to be cleaned up and hopefully Hurley can use the weaker conference schedule to take care of those things before we face a team of our caliber.

Sanogo black hole needs to stop. Now that we have depth Hurley should use the hook to correct that until he learns. It has been 3 years now and hasn’t gotten through to him otherwise.

I don’t understand the Jackson deep 3. Seems like Hurley lets him take one of those a game to throw him a bone, but it’s just a bad shot and completely out of the flow of the offense. Stop trying to be something that you’re not.
I doubt Hurley “let” him jack up that deep three. It was way too deep and early in the possession. Players just do things sometimes. But if Ajax isn’t national defensive POY its because some voters haven't seen hum

Sanogo could lead the world in assists. Obviously he helps way more than he hurts, but its like he has no teammates when he allows himself to struggle between 2 or 3 defenders.

Karaban had a bit of a tough game and for the first time Clingan seemed bothered by the speed of the game when he shot. Newton also wasn’t at his best. And they won by double digits. I let the coaches worry about execution and just try to enjoy winning by whatever margin

This a fun team to watch.

Reaction Score
I doubt Hurley “let” him jack up that deep three. It was way too deep and early in the possession. Players just do things sometimes.

He’s done it several times this season already. So if the coach isn’t actively curtailing that, I assume that means he is ok with it.

Same with the Sanogo bad habits.

We have the depth now where Hurley should be able to put an end to those things quickly.

Reaction Score
I doubt Hurley “let” him jack up that deep three. It was way too deep and early in the possession. Players just do things sometimes. But if Ajax isn’t national defensive POY its because some voters haven't seen hum

Sanogo could lead the world in assists. Obviously he helps way more than he hurts, but its like he has no teammates when he allows himself to struggle between 2 or 3 defenders.

Karaban had a bit of a tough game and for the first time Clingan seemed bothered by the speed of the game when he shot. Newton also wasn’t at his best. And they won by double digits. I let the coaches worry about execution and just try to enjoy winning by whatever margin

This a fun team to watch.
Last night would have been an opportunity for the Double Big. It is one thing for their guards to penetrate, another to shoot over us deep inside the forest.

Reaction Score
We have done pretty well this season with non high hedging Donovan. OSU had 17 turnovers but I don’t recall any off Adama’s high hedge. The lead was built not by Adama’s high hedging working well but due to unrelated OSU turnovers and UConn forcing the issue on offense and turning those situations into made foul shots.

Joey California scored 9 points in 10 minutes and warranted more minutes. Newton had 2 points in 29 minutes.

On the high hedge, Adama expends so much energy and typically he gets caught in between. In no man’s land. Imagine taking that focus and energy used chasing guys 1/2 foot shorter and 70 pounds lighter into quick inside out passing and truly cutting down angles where it cuts - entrance to the paint.
Hurley said in his postgame Joey C definitely earned more minutes and he should've gotten him closer to 15-20. Hopefully he'll reward him in the Florida game

Reaction Score
Good points Chief. Here are my observations.
1) How many minutes did Karaban play? He looked tired. He was over matched on the defensive side. I think Springs should have given him a breather.
2) Sanoga had a good game, but.... he still has blinders on when double teamed. I don't think he will ever learn. Let's hope he proves me wrong.
3) Hassan should have played more. Newton was sloppy tonight.
4) AJ is a huge difference make

Kudos to OSU. They don't have quit in them. Onto gator land.
1. 37 minutes and, yes, where was Springs? AK was 1 for 4, 0 for 3 on 3's, for 4 points, 1 assist and 6 rebounds.
2. AS is better but still cost us at least a couple open shots while double teamed and determined to make something happen on his own.
Loved his quote: "This was a big game for us. They thought they could win this game. They could not."
3. Joey could have played more, not sure about Diarra.
4. AJ is what DH told us he was and would be. Yikes........he's like one and a half players. He's everywhere. Like he drank 10 Red Bulls.

Reaction Score
Hurley said in his postgame Joey C definitely earned more minutes and he should've gotten him closer to 15-20. Hopefully he'll reward him in the Florida game
It's a juggling act. Alleyne needs to be brought back into a more prominent role so DH is probably giving him minutes hoping he'll break out of his slump. Let's hope he reverts to the mean soon and gets back to shooting as well as he has in previous years.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think the starters played too many minutes. Only Joey had double figure time, off the bench. Newton had the least amount with 29 and I don't think UConn made a sub until the 12:00 TV break. Karaban looked like the only one with a PK85 hangover, but Newton had a sub-par game as well. It happens, but it needs to be identified early. Among other reasons, this is why I don't mind Jackson coming off the bench, as the back up facilitator.

I was not a fan of the substitution pattern last night. Samson should be able to spell Karaban for more than 3 minutes, but it's games like this where I wouldn't mind having Sanogo and Clingan on the floor at the same time. He went from PK85 MVP to getting only 7 minutes. Perhaps Hurley is concerned about perimeter defense.

Sanogo reverted to being a black hole. The lack of Cisse is inviting, so I understand why, but when he's being being doubled and tripled, someone is open. UConn can make the perimeter 3 this year.

I guess Hawkins stay in the doghouse was only temporary. There was one play in particular where he didn't say a word and just returned to the huddle. Nice to see.

Joey C. killed it in his limited time, whereas Diarra did himself limited favor. UConn only had 7 turnovers as a team, but every one of them seemed glaring.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tough to spell Hawkins when he's playing like he did in the 1st half. Joey C. is not a point guard, but he can bring the ball up and UConn can run the offense through the wing (Jackson). Announcers were saying all night that UConn plays PG by committee.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He’s done it several times this season already. So if the coach isn’t actively curtailing that, I assume that means he is ok with it.

Same with the Sanogo bad habits.

We have the depth now where Hurley should be able to put an end to those things quickly.
That’s the first time I've seen Jackson put up a shot from that deep so early in a possession. That was a dumb shot from a guy who isn't a sharpshooter. .i doubt Hurley encourages anything like that. Sanogo i agree. Seems like something that needs work.

Reaction Score
I think the starters played too many minutes. Only Joey had double figure time, off the bench. Newton had the least amount with 29 and I don't think UConn made a sub until the 12:00 TV break. Karaban looked like the only one with a PK85 hangover, but Newton had a sub-par game as well. It happens, but it needs to be identified early. Among other reasons, this is why I don't mind Jackson coming off the bench, as the back up facilitator.

I was not a fan of the substitution pattern last night. Samson should be able to spell Karaban for more than 3 minutes, but it's games like this where I wouldn't mind having Sanogo and Clingan on the floor at the same time. He went from PK85 MVP to getting only 7 minutes. Perhaps Hurley is concerned about perimeter defense.

Sanogo reverted to being a black hole. The lack of Cisse is inviting, so I understand why, but when he's being being doubled and tripled, someone is open. UConn can make the perimeter 3 this year.

I guess Hawkins stay in the doghouse was only temporary. There was one play in particular where he didn't say a word and just returned to the huddle. Nice to see.

Joey C. killed it in his limited time, whereas Diarra did himself limited favor. UConn only had 7 turnovers as a team, but every one of them seemed glaring.
I heard all summer that Joey C was consistently our best shooter and wondered if it would translate in bright light games. It has.

Reaction Score
Just watched DH presser on the OSU game. When he mentioned AJ he referred to him as the stunt man. Hilarious

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There definitely were some in-game strategies and subsitution patterns that were out of synch of what us fans had seen previously.

Overall game plan and execution was a solid "meh".

From my eyes, it seemed like Hurley was trying to experiment with some stuff he hadn't previously tried in games and I suspect we won't see much of them going forward.

BTW, no way will UConn go as far as it can if Karaban is consistently playing 37 minutes. Gotta figure out how to play about 15 minutes a game at the four spot with Karaban on the bench.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I've seen a few people mention that Clingan deserved more minutes, but nobody's mentioning that both times he came in he immediately got beat on defense and committed a foul both times. I'm not trying to bash the kid, but that coupled with the game Adama had contributed to his lack of minutes.

Reaction Score

I think the main reason Adama was tired was that he was chasing guys 60 pounds lighter 25 feet from the basket and then could not recover back to the paint and get position for rebound. The high hedge doesn’t work with Adama.

Reaction Score
“Thus far, we have exceeded my expectations for this part of the schedule.”

yup, did not see top 5 after dec 1st

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
LOL you high hedge haters are something else. I don’t recall a single Sanogo high hedge that got exploited.

Most of the breakdowns for easy layups/dunks were off of plays where we aggressively tried to jump passing lanes, almost got steals, didn’t, and OK St pushed it to the paint with numbers
I saw at least 4 but my buddy at the game said maybe 6 times. Maybe you were away from the games on those moments but they existed

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My takeaways on the game:
1. A win is a win and this one was not very pretty in the 2nd half
2. OSU is a good team but not as good as Bama
3. DH did not have a good night. I thought he was on top of his game in Oregon but last night he lost his sense for timely substitution and game management. DC and Joey C should have seen more time. Karajan was getting beat up and Springs could have spelled him at least a few minutes. He has to settle on the PG position and I feel Newton and HD should be the primary players depending on the tempo of the game
4. AS is a stud.However he is becoming a bit too selfish on the offensive half of the court. He continues to allow the opponents the time to double and triple team him and in 75% of the time the deep dark hole appeared. It’s going to be a delicate conversation for DH but one that has to be delivered.
5.I want to see Hawk get a touch on nearly every offensive possession and I have no problem with him driving and throwing up prayers while drawing contact. JoeyC should keep chucking up threes
6. Ajax is Ajax you get what you get. I love the energy but cringe at 40% of the results. Need someone like him on your team

I am thrilled with the results so far but not what I saw in the second half. It wasn’t as much OSU as it was UConn playing without the desire and intelligence that we saw in the previous three games. Let’s hope this was a one off.

Reaction Score
3. DH did not have a good night. I thought he was on top of his game in Oregon but last night he lost his sense for timely substitution and game management. DC and Joey C should have seen more time. Karajan was getting beat up and Springs could have spelled him at least a few minutes. He has to settle on the PG position and I feel Newton and HD should be the primary players depending on the tempo of the game
4. AS is a stud.However he is becoming a bit too selfish on the offensive half of the court. He continues to allow the opponents the time to double and triple team him and in 75% of the time the deep dark hole appeared. It’s going to be a delicate conversation for DH but one that has to be delivered.
5.I want to see Hawk get a touch on nearly every offensive possession and I have no problem with him driving and throwing up prayers while drawing contact. JoeyC should keep chucking up threes
6. Ajax is Ajax you get what you get. I love the energy but cringe at 40% of the results. Need someone like him on your team

I am thrilled with the results so far but not what I saw in the second half. It wasn’t as much OSU as it was UConn playing without the desire and intelligence that we saw in the previous three games. Let’s hope this was a one off.
Agree, Danny went away from some things he did well in Oregon. Agree on Hawkins and Joey C.

Other than AJax not have a textbook shot, I am like 80% to 90% for the other stuff. He had zero turnovers and a good number of good assists last night. He’s a rebounding machine for his height.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'2. OSU is a good team but not as good as Bama'

nailed it. give that man a cigar.
a88c2483edcda76d02510a175bdb9b02.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24