Chief’s Briefs - Oklahoma State | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Oklahoma State

Reaction Score
First, Dan Hurley was correct OSU was a very talented opponent. The fact that we had a double digit figure lead was a tribute to how good we are this year.

Hawkins (26)and Sanogo (19) were our big scorers and Jackson got rebounds (5 ) and assist (6) and points (11).

Aggressive offense, silly fouls and good foul shooting helped built our half time lead. What’s clear to me is a team that prepares for Adama’s high hedge defense can exploit it and it is not in our interest to play that way. That way this year is no different than past years except Clingan coming off the bench when Adama picks up early fouls.

I thought we got a little away from the rotations that have been successful this year. Notably, Clingan deserved more time as did Joey California. We missed things they could have brought to the table. I hope this is a one game anomaly and not a trend.

A good win and onto Florida next week. Thus far, we have exceeded my expectations for this part of the schedule.

Time to celebrate the win. Jim Calhoun always felt if you did that you would want to win even more next game. Red Auerbach taugh him that.

Reaction Score
First, Dan Hurley was correct OSU was a very talented opponent. The fact that we had a double digit figure lead was a tribute to how good we are this year.

Hawkins (26)and Sanogo (19) were our big scorers and Jackson got rebounds (5 ) and assist (6) and points (11).

Aggressive offense, silly fouls and good foul shooting helped built our half time lead. What’s clear to me is a team that prepares for Adama’s high hedge defense can exploit it and it is not in our interest to play that way. That way this year is no different than past years except Clingan coming off the bench when Adama picks up early fouls.

I thought we got a little away from the rotations that have been successful this year. Notably, Clingan deserved more time as did Joey California. We missed things they could have brought to the table. I hope this is a one game anomaly and not a trend.

A good win and onto Florida next week. Thus far, we have exceeded my expectations for this part of the schedule.

Time to celebrate the win. Jim Calhoun always felt if you did that you would want to win even more next game. Red Auerbach taugh him that.
Think the rotation comment is good. Although in the middle of our drought, wanted Diarra and his energetic D to come in instead of Alleyne. Too much driving straight to the rim

Reaction Score
LOL you high hedge haters are something else. I don’t recall a single Sanogo high hedge that got exploited.

Most of the breakdowns for easy layups/dunks were off of plays where we aggressively tried to jump passing lanes, almost got steals, didn’t, and OK St pushed it to the paint with numbers

Reaction Score
LOL you high hedge haters are something else. I don’t recall a single Sanogo high hedge that got exploited.

Most of the breakdowns for easy layups/dunks were off of plays where we aggressively tried to jump passing lanes, almost got steals, didn’t, and OK St pushed it to the paint with numbers
Can't believe you watched the game. We got killed on the high hedge especially late in the second half.

Reaction Score
Can't believe you watched the game. We got killed on the high hedge especially late in the second half.
I’ll have to rewatch it. I honestly didn’t recall any egregious breakdowns off of hedges. Just a lot of bad overall D and bad rotations.

Reaction Score
Credit to OK St. coming back again and again tonight but we’re pretty damn good.

Reaction Score
Good points Chief. Here are my observations.
1) How many minutes did Karaban play? He looked tired. He was over matched on the defensive side. I think Springs should have given him a breather.
2) Sanoga had a good game, but.... he still has blinders on when double teamed. I don't think he will ever learn. Let's hope he proves me wrong.
3) Hassan should have played more. Newton was sloppy tonight.
4) AJ is a huge difference make

Kudos to OSU. They don't have quit in them. Onto gator land.

Reaction Score

i think people on here are seeing ghosts with the hedge. i actually really liked adama's pick-and-roll defense. their guards were just really quick and blew by ours a bunch -- it happened a bunch in isolation, without a screen.

Reaction Score
UConn really needs a couple of close games to figure out the end of the game rotations and strategy. I thought the team seemed too comfortable with the halftime lead and didn’t play as aggressive or in sync in the second half.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1) How many minutes did Karaban play? He looked tired. He was over matched on the defensive side. I think Springs should have given him a breather.
2) Sanoga had a good game, but.... he still has blinders on when double teamed. I don't think he will ever learn. Let's hope he proves me wrong.

Hassan better start making FT's or else he gets reduced to situational defensive player last five minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
Odd to feel disappointed after a 10 point win, but I think it’s because given the quality of this team we really should have won by 20.

There are definitely some things that need to be cleaned up and hopefully Hurley can use the weaker conference schedule to take care of those things before we face a team of our caliber.

Sanogo black hole needs to stop. Now that we have depth Hurley should use the hook to correct that until he learns. It has been 3 years now and hasn’t gotten through to him otherwise.

I don’t understand the Jackson deep 3. Seems like Hurley lets him take one of those a game to throw him a bone, but it’s just a bad shot and completely out of the flow of the offense. Stop trying to be something that you’re not.

Reaction Score

Jackson was by far our best PG tonight. 6 assists and zero turnovers. Scored 11 and rebounded.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Sanogo’s passing has been good! Big step back tonight though.

Reaction Score

We have done pretty well this season with non high hedging Donovan. OSU had 17 turnovers but I don’t recall any off Adama’s high hedge. The lead was built not by Adama’s high hedging working well but due to unrelated OSU turnovers and UConn forcing the issue on offense and turning those situations into made foul shots.

Joey California scored 9 points in 10 minutes and warranted more minutes. Newton had 2 points in 29 minutes.

On the high hedge, Adama expends so much energy and typically he gets caught in between. In no man’s land. Imagine taking that focus and energy used chasing guys 1/2 foot shorter and 70 pounds lighter into quick inside out passing and truly cutting down angles where it cuts - entrance to the paint.

Reaction Score
Sanogo’s passing has been good! Big step back tonight though.
I agree, it had improved somewhat. He’s got to make decisions quicker on his passing and if he can’t decide that should then be a pass by default.
The idea is for Adama to pass before the double team completely arrives. Adama has the biggest advantage when the double is moving towards him. That is when the shooters are most open and the defense momentum is in the other direction so it is tough to recover.
LOL - think the double defender is in no man’s land just like Adama is when he high hedges.

Reaction Score
Thought Andre had one of his best floor games of the season.. Moving the ball/facilitating to open teammates. Big Three showed up tonite vs a tough/physical opponent that will be a tough out- come Tournament time.

Reaction Score
Chief saw that disaster unfold too.
Over the years when Chief has had the privilege of talking defense with some of the great ones, they always emphasize one thing. Keep your offensive guy in front of you between your knees and don’t turn your head away from the ball. High Hedging never accomplishes that objective so it is an inherently flawed strategy. It not fundamental.

Reaction Score
Thought Andre had one of his best floor games of the season.. Moving the ball/facilitating to open teammates. Big Three showed up tonite vs a tough/physical opponent that will be a tough out- come Tournament time.
I know they have three loses (5-3) but the big time talent jumps off the page.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the issue with the high hedge especially since our last two opponents head coaches both complimented Sanogo in their post game comments. Boynton and Otzelberger both commented on Sanogos hedging as a disruption to their offense and thought it had a big impact on how their offenses were run and letting uconn get into a rhythm defensively.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the issue with the high hedge especially since our last two opponents head coaches both complimented Sanogo in their post game comments. Boynton and Otzelberger both commented on Sanogos hedging as a disruption to their offense and thought it had a big impact on how their offenses were run and letting uconn get into a rhythm defensively.
If I was the opposing coach I would be raving about it too and encouraging UConn to use it in a future game.

Reaction Score

Allleyne to me has been a disappointment. It’s no surprise that Karaban is playing a lot of minutes while Alleyne’s have dropped considerably. I would’ve thought it would be the other way around once AJ came back to the starting lineup. Karaban plays within the system and scores the ball. Alleyne not so much.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the Jackson deep 3. Seems like Hurley lets him take one of those a game to throw him a bone, but it’s just a bad shot and completely out of the flow of the offense. Stop trying to be something that you’re not.
AJ really reminds me of Taliek Brown in a way. Brown excelled is every aspect of the game, except shooting. I used to cringe when he shot, but was an excellent defender, ball handler and assist machine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom