Chief’s Briefs - Mississippi Valley State | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Mississippi Valley State

Reaction Score
Again, all 5 starters had double figures with Spencer leading the way with 25. Good unselfish ball movement led to 20 assists compared to 7 for our opponent. Our defense was tough, with our opponent shooting 31% FG.

Despite this success it was apparent to me that on this team Castle is the straw that stirs the drink. His absence hurt despite the 30+ point win.

Spencer led the team to 39% 3FG by making 7 of 11 3FG attempts. Our foul shooting fell from 91% last game to 60%. Again FT % is often about who takes the foul shot, Castle was held out but Clingan got fouled often inside. Clingan went 7-8 from the field but 3-9 on the line, so it is clear what teams will do - foul him. The good news is he tended to make his second foul shot once he took his time and relaxed. The bending of his knees and breathing, which he did more on his second attempt seems to have relax his body and soften his shot.

Spencer shot mechanics got corrected and his shot looked smooth tonight with a nice soft arc over the front of the rim. His body looked balanced and confident. No more leaning back resulting in a flat trajectory.

Newton led the team in rebounds (8) and assists (7), while Clingan made 3 blocks.

Ball’s toughness was impressive. Ball, Diarra and Newton can pressure the ball full court and that’s a nice tool for Hurley to have.

Indiana on Sunday followed by Texas or Louisville Monday. Then Kansas, North Carolina, Gonzaga and St John’s in December. I hope Castle injury is not serious and Donovan foot recovery is on track. They obviously are two very key players against elite teams. Johnson has talent but also is learning. Donovan ideally should be playing 2/3rds of our Center minutes against good teams.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks Chief. I missed this one. Seems like Castle is such a good facilitator that he makes everyone else better. It’s good for the team to play without him. DC has to get those FTs fixed or it will hurt the team and his draft stock.

I think we’ve got a good team. Guys will get better and play better with each other over time. I didn’t think we’d be as good as last year, but it’s going to be fun to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom