Chief’s Briefs - Memphis Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Memphis Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great read Chief. However, here we go with the Gilbert thing. He has been great this year. Now it will be the third year we say, "We will be great with a healthy Gilbert" Every year he gets hurt . Again, great kid and having a great year up to the injury. i hope the recruiting has been good as predicted. Can we count on a healthy Gilbert next year? Sadly, I wouldn't count on it.
UConn fans with Gilbert are like Phil in Groundhog Day!

Reaction Score
I was among the many who couldn’t get the game on cable so thanks Chief and everyone else who chimed in with a recap.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I wasn't able to catch the game but was surprised we only lost by 7, especially since the box score is an ugly one. Semi-surpirsed that Whaley logged 0 minutes.

Reaction Score
If Polley didn't go 0 for January and Sid didn't miss the preseason
Although CV didn’t play a very clean game, that 7 TO stat is a bit misleading. He got called for two bogus travel calls (interestingly, a Memphis player did the same move as CV two possessions later but didn’t jump as high in the air...and there was no call). I also think he got called for a pretty weak offensive foul. So I’d put him at 4 realistic TOs for the game. Still not great, though.
He also fell right after a steal. So that one probably should've been negated. Boy was that a terrible turn of events though.

Reaction Score
I applaud today’s effort. Makes makes me believe they must enjoy playing for Dan Hurley. However, the first two minutes of the second half may have been the worst two minutes of defense I have ever seen from a UConn team - and I watched Toby Kimball.
I envy you. I missed everyone pre Norman Bailey. I wish I could have seen some of the names I read about like Kimball, Quimby and most of all Dropo as he did it in 3 sports.

C

Chief00

Although CV didn’t play a very clean game, that 7 TO stat is a bit misleading. He got called for two bogus travel calls (interestingly, a Memphis player did the same move as CV two possessions later but didn’t jump as high in the air...and there was no call). I also think he got called for a pretty weak offensive foul. So I’d put him at 4 realistic TOs for the game. Still not great, though.
Fair or unfair, he has a reputation of mouthing off so the refs are tough on him. Too bad because he plays hard if not smart.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wasn't able to catch the game but was surprised we only lost by 7, especially since the box score is an ugly one. Semi-surpirsed that Whaley logged 0 minutes.

Whaley is buried.

Not sure why/how/what but Hurley doesn't seem him as a after at all.

Reaction Score
Special Briefs Bonus:
As you know, I don’t look at the box score until after the Briefs since it’s an eye test thing.
CV had 6 assists but his 7 turnovers were killers. As a team Memphis scored 25 points off turnovers to 15 for us.

Foul shots weren’t lopsided as Chief thought. The problem today was UConn shooting only 65% from the line. Sid had 7 attempts so it’s real important for Sid to spend time in the gym shooting thousands of foul shots on his own.

Who's the phantom introducing the Chief's Special Briefs Bonus?
UConn shot two more FT's and made three less so it wasn't lopsided in any way except % made by UConn.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I was looking for a call following the jumpstop by the Memphis player. Even Wetzel (I believe it was) following the second traveling call on Vital, said that the jumpstop was a legal move.

C

Chief00

Who's the phantom introducing the Chief's Special Briefs Bonus?
UConn shot two more FT's and made three less so it wasn't lopsided in any way except % made by UConn.
You got to boost your reading comprehension ability - that essentially what Chief said in the bonus update.
#LateToParty

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm a bit late to this party. Most impressive player for me yesterday was Cobb. His passing was superb. The 4 assists undercounted the several times a board and strong outlet pass lead to fast break points. It's a skill no UConn big has really had since Emeka. It sucks that we lost Yawke, because it might have allowed us to play Cobb at the 4 with Carlton, which is something I'd really like to see. The guy can shoot a bit and handle the ball (possibly better than B Adams strangely enough).

Polley found his shot and has some confidence back. Focusing on D and rebounding seems to have helped him. Suddenly he looks like he could be a valuable piece on a winning team.

Sid found ways to score, and his shotblocking instincts remain very strong. Strength however, is a weakness. He just can't block anyone out down low. Needs to get more consistent outside and work on his handle. His athleticism will let him blow by people once they need to guard him away from the rim.

Vital was thrust into a new role, and was the focus of the defense as our only legit outside shooting threat. It showed what happens when he has the best defender from the other team on him, instead of the third best.

Smith was mostly solid, but still makes some strange decisions with the ball.

Carlton faced a team that lost its center to fouls early and managed to join him on the pine instead of capitalizing. Disappointing. But I think he will rebound from it and play well next game.

Reaction Score
I find myself really pulling for Cobb when he comes in. He played decent defense on Parks and Maurice today, was a beast on the boards and had 4 assists - really good passer for a big man. He is the one player on the roster who can out-muscle opponents, and I appreciate his offseason effort to improve his frame and his game.

Brendan Adams is just a terrible shooter. He is 1-for-12 in his last 5 games from the field, scoring only 2 pts. in 71 minutes on the court. Both Temple and Memphis left him wide open on purpose. He needs to follow the Kemba route and take 200-300 shots a day. At 6'4", he can be a valuable guard off the bench next year if he can improve his shot.

As for Alterique, I think he has to come back this year to prove to himself that the shoulder is okay and does not have the recurring problems of the past.

Polley was terrific today. Looks like he has his 3-point stroke back, played aggressively and he had 6 rebounds.

With some back line shot blockers next year, this team will be much improved defensively.Carlton, Wilson, Akok, and Achiuwa would put us back up to leading the nation in blocks.

I can tell you as a shooting coach, if you want to get better at this level, 200-300 shots a day is nowhere near enough. With a shooting gun, that's half an hour of work, tops. Good shooters trying to get better are putting up 1000+ every day.

Reaction Score
You got to boost your reading comprehension ability - that essentially what Chief said in the bonus update.
#LateToParty

You (should) got to use proper grammar and not make redundant statements (reading comprehension ability), nor should you be giving grief to one of Chief's biggest fans.
#GetYourFactsStraightTheFirstTime

Reaction Score
I can tell you as a shooting coach, if you want to get better at this level, 200-300 shots a day is nowhere near enough. With a shooting gun, that's half an hour of work, tops. Good shooters trying to get better are putting up 1000+ every day.
So if 200-300 take half an hour then 1000 should take about 2 hours. Who is spending 2 hours a day shooting? In college? In addition to the team practice? I don't think even NBA players in the offseason do that. That's a lot of time spent on shooting. Just doesn't seem possible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don't expect much from Brendan Adams at this point though a little contribution would be nice.

However, this was a total missed opportunity by Christian Vital. That was a much bigger disappointment.

Reaction Score
So if 200-300 take half an hour then 1000 should take at least 2 hours. Who is spending 2+ hours a day shooting? In college? In addition to the team practice? I don't think even NBA players in the offseason do that. That's a lot of time spent on shooting. Just doesn't seem possible.

NBA players absolutely shoot that many shots in a day. College players too.

I played at a D2 school. Our better players were putting up 500 a day DURING the season.

Appreciate your contributions on here, but I know you're wrong on this one.

I don't necessarily coach with a "more shots is better" mentality. For kids changing their form (like B Adams desperately needs to) I would rather less, but more deliberate shots.

Robert Covington, for example, shoots for hours and hours every day. A counter-example is someone like Kyle Korver. His workouts are often less time than you'd think. He basically just shoots until he feels his form starting to go. Sometimes half an hour or so.

Edit: Got curious and looked some more up...

Steph makes 500 a day in the off-season. 200-350 during the season.

Kobe made 100,000 shots in one off-season. (Obviously he's not the norm)

A bunch of NBA players have seemed to say they take 1000 shots a day in the off season.

Korver apparently doesn't just shoot 500x a day. Instead, he works out multiple times a day, finds his shot, and then stops. Definitely a different attitude--but I like it a lot.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You (should) got to use proper grammar and not make redundant statements (reading comprehension ability), nor should you be giving grief to one of Chief's biggest fans.
#GetYourFactsStraightTheFirstTime

Post/Handle

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So if 200-300 take half an hour then 1000 should take about 2 hours. Who is spending 2 hours a day shooting? In college? In addition to the team practice? I don't think even NBA players in the offseason do that. That's a lot of time spent on shooting. Just doesn't seem possible.
I feel like Ray used to shoot 500 makes. Does that sound right to anyone else?

Reaction Score
Without Gilbert and Adams, Memphis could force us into careless turnovers.

Correction with respect: With Gilbert and Adams Memphis would have forced us into careless turnovers.

That unforced turnover when they were down 4 with like 1:30 to go was the killer. I thought that Hurley was going to upchuck.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Correction with respect: With Gilbert and Adams Memphis would have forced us into careless turnovers.

That unforced turnover when they were down 4 with like 1:30 to go was the killer. I thought that Hurley was going to upchuck.

??

C

Chief00

I'm a bit late to this party. Most impressive player for me yesterday was Cobb. His passing was superb. The 4 assists undercounted the several times a board and strong outlet pass lead to fast break points. It's a skill no UConn big has really had since Emeka. It sucks that we lost Yawke, because it might have allowed us to play Cobb at the 4 with Carlton, which is something I'd really like to see. The guy can shoot a bit and handle the ball (possibly better than B Adams strangely enough).

Polley found his shot and has some confidence back. Focusing on D and rebounding seems to have helped him. Suddenly he looks like he could be a valuable piece on a winning team.

Sid found ways to score, and his shotblocking instincts remain very strong. Strength however, is a weakness. He just can't block anyone out down low. Needs to get more consistent outside and work on his handle. His athleticism will let him blow by people once they need to guard him away from the rim.

Vital was thrust into a new role, and was the focus of the defense as our only legit outside shooting threat. It showed what happens when he has the best defender from the other team on him, instead of the third best.

Smith was mostly solid, but still makes some strange decisions with the ball.

Carlton faced a team that lost its center to fouls early and managed to join him on the pine instead of capitalizing. Disappointing. But I think he will rebound from it and play well next game.

Agree on all your observations. I do like Cobb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

My post appears self-explanatory to me. But here goes a clarification:

Memphis would have forced the Huskies into careless turnovers even with JA and AG in the game; and I cited that specific unforced turnover as a prime example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom