Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Not normally an issue in our Big East play but poor foul shooting in a close game hurt us today, 60% doesn’t cut it in post season.

We did not seem to know our identity today. Our star Hawkins turned down shots and Joey C coming off the bench took the key shots at closing time. No knock on Joey but Adama, Hawkins and Karaban should take most of the key shots at closing time.

Our defense seemed poorly prepared and made bad choices. We left shooters open and we played left handlers as if they were right handlers.

I thought Clingan played well and our team suffered when he came out. Adama played well and tonight would have been a perfect double big night but we were not prepared to do it.

I thought we had learned that Andre would start the game by letting the game come to him on offense. Today he took a different approach and that led an Un-Andre type game that led to foul trouble and him being a non factor in the facets of the game he normally stars in.

One thing we limited was turnovers (9) but our offense seemed out of synced the entire night despite some good performances.

Our bench played well. Clingan, Alleyne and Joey over-all played well and totaled 25 points.

It was a winnable game that we did not win. Give Marquette credit for battling and hitting 3’s from downtown. We did lead the rebounding battle by 10, but they made 4 more threes and in a close game that made the difference.
The defense was mind blowingly bad, it’s was bad enough thinking we were getting killed on pick and pops, but 1/2 way through the game I realized they weren’t even setting picks. Just replacements , and we were still chasing ball with both players!

Reaction Score
Really? You really believe that about Hurley? It's insanity.
I agree, That’s a ridiculous take. Fought hard, NBA-level talent has an off-night and within 1 open shot of a win. I’ll assume it was meant sarcastically.

Reaction Score
Karaban wanted the last shot. He was waving his hand to get the ball. There just wasn't enough time.

I won't get on Hawkins for a poor shooting night. Ray was having a horrible night against G-Town until that last memorable shot. However, he cannot play defense like he did, especially in the 1st half. And he can't not rebound his area.

The crew that cut a 10 point lead to 1 cannot come off the floor with just under 8 minutes left and not be seen again for the game unless the next guys up continue on to take the lead and build it.

Reaction Score
Great game. Thought Hurley coached his butt off.

Prosper defended the heck out of Hawkins. Have to give him credit.

Too many times we left the corner three wide open. Also had a few bonehead miscommunications on pick and roles that left the 3 wide open.

AJ on Kolek early in the game seems like a good strategic call on paper, but I don't like putting AJ on a team's primary ball-handler. This is what got him in foul trouble early and removed him from what he's best at; defensive rebounding into an immediate fast break.

Adama did not play any defense in the first half and some of the 2nd half. It looked like he was trying to avoid fouling at all costs. Soft defensive performance by him.

Overall, great game. Great performance by our bench. Unfortunately, when AJs in that much foul trouble and Hawkins can't find a rhythm it'll be hard to win against the best teams in the country.
You expect your best defensive player to play defense without fouling. 5 fouls in 15 mins is on him.

Reaction Score
I do. Warm seat doesn’t mean fire. I think he’s the guy for the team, he’s shown annual improvement, multiple tournament appearances, and is bringing us our best recruiting class in a long time that should keep us nationally relevant for years to come. I have full faith in Hurley. I think the sweet 16 is our floor this year

But 3-3 BET and 0-3 NCAATs would mean a warm seat. I don’t think it’ll happen, but it’s my position if it does

Reaction Score
I think the Hurley question can be answered empirically next week. There’s people on both sides of the debate. It’s year 5 and while the team ostensibly gets better, there have been no results whatsoever yet, so we’ll see.

Reaction Score
The loss stings but...
1) We lost to a very good team who has a good chance of being a 2 seed.
2) Lost by 2 and had the ball on the last possession.
3) the bench stepped up

What hurt was
1) JH and AJ were no shows. It's no secret JH is every opponents goal to stop. JH imo lacks maturity. He easily takes himself out of the game when things are not going well for himself. AJ needs to learn how to channel his energy.
2) poor foul shooting. Even though he was 3-4 from the line, DC needs to work on his foul shooting. He will be on the line a lot.
AJ played poorly. Didn’t shoot when he should have, and did when he shouldn’t have. Cheap fouls took him right out of the game. When he finally gets to the point where he plays within himself, we’ll be ok. Shooting remains a mystery for a few guys. Has to be a better scheme.

And lastly… why come out so flat? Did they expect another 15 point win? They totally got outworked.

Reaction Score
This loss feels too familiar. UCONN fumbled so many opportunities to take over this game. They were certainly out of sync and their defensive effort was inconsistent.

Against the #6 team and the Big East regular season champions they came out flat defensively and played loosing basketball ultimately. The most frustrating thing is that we've had a couple of teams over the last few years that were good enough to win the BET.

AJ and Hawk was the ultimate difference in this loss here in addition to the missed free throws, and a shaky defensive effort.

Dan Hurley's own list is shrinking as it relates to the team goals. A National Championship is all that is left. Let's see if we can get at least 3 wins in the NCAA tournament. The team is good enough. A 3 to 4 seed seems about right for this squad. Let's hope that Hawks and AJ's disappearing act lights a fire in them for the NCAAs.

My Saturday schedule just freed up a bit unfortunately.
Agreed, but there is no 'lighting the fire under them' due to a no-show today. At this point, they are who they are. They can be brilliant, but also inconsequential.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
One last thought before I cry myself to sleep. So much for all the algorithms that say we are a top ten team. Thank goodness AI has not reached singularity. It still can’t find a formula that measures heart and grit and clutch. We missed four very good looks at the end of the game. The algorithms are wrong Marquette, Xavier and probably Creighton all have more of what math can’t measure than we do. And what math can’t measure is how human beings will respond when under pressure. It thinks it can but it cannot. 2.5 hours later and I am still disappointed.

Reaction Score
The defense was mind blowingly bad, it’s was bad enough thinking we were getting killed on pick and pops, but 1/2 way through the game I realized they weren’t even setting picks. Just replacements , and we were still chasing ball with both players!
The first 5 minutes of the 2nd half cost us the game. Zero defense. 6-6 with Three 3s, 3 uncontested layups topped off by AS fouling a 3 point shooter in the corner. 18 points in less than 5 minutes.

AS was good scoring the ball and rebounding but his defense was atrocious.

Reaction Score
05C1AD0D-3E58-4A66-B370-CF39D9861907.jpeg

I’m sorry but was this really said???

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I wrote in the chat that with about 5 minutes left we had about two minutes to make our stand and grab the lead to throw the pressure back on Marquette. We could never quite get over the hump. Hard to win a game when the 2G and SF, supposed to be your top players, put in their worst performances.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I thought Marquette play a terrific game, got ridiculous 3 point shooting from a 38% 3 point shooter off the bench (4-5), played very physical defense, got dreadful games from Hawkins (give Marquette credit for physical D on him) and Jackson, and still barely hung on to win. I really didn't have an issue with Hurley tonight. I though him going to the zone was a good job. I agree with a poster that I would have gone back to man when Marquette had the 3 players on the bench, but in the end, UConn had some open looks that didn't fall. Let's be honest, if Kolek played tonight like Hawkins did, Marquette would have gotten blown out. That's what happens when your stud no shows in a game. That and Jackson playing dreadful were killers.
Exactly. Again we play. C type game and lose to the 1 seed #6 team who will get a 2 in the dance. With the coach, player, and 6 man if the year. We lost by 2. Remember what Louisville did to us in 14? It was the final though.

caw

Reaction Score
This loss feels too familiar. UCONN fumbled so many opportunities to take over this game. They were certainly out of sync and their defensive effort was inconsistent.

Against the #6 team and the Big East regular season champions they came out flat defensively and played loosing basketball ultimately. The most frustrating thing is that we've had a couple of teams over the last few years that were good enough to win the BET.

AJ and Hawk was the ultimate difference in this loss here in addition to the missed free throws, and a shaky defensive effort.

Dan Hurley's own list is shrinking as it relates to the team goals. A National Championship is all that is left. Let's see if we can get at least 3 wins in the NCAA tournament. The team is good enough. A 3 to 4 seed seems about right for this squad. Let's hope that Hawks and AJ's disappearing act lights a fire in them for the NCAAs.

My Saturday schedule just freed up a bit unfortunately.

This one actually felt different for me. The other ones felt like TOs and fouls cost UConn the game. Tonight it was shooting. Still fumbled opportunities but it wasn't the same IMO. Before it was literally throwing the ball away, tonight was just missing shots.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with the 5th year senior veteran sharpshooter taking shots to end the game. 3 wide open looks for Joey C (I’m considering the pull-up 3 after 5 seconds as an open shot). 0 points to show for it

We gave ourselves multiple chances to win and threw them all away. If we live and die by the 3, they better go in next week. Otherwise Hurley’s seat is going to start getting warm

Clingan and Karaban are going to be BE 1st team players by junior year

Hawkins needs a strong revenge game next week. When I say needs, I mean needs.

There’s going to be a poor 13 seed stepping on the floor with us next week. I hope we come out and eat them alive, run them out of the gym, and end the game after 10 minutes
Just another dumb statement. “Gave ourselves a chance to win” … “3 wide open looks” … yet you want to put Hurley on the hot seat. This is the reason blogs shouldn’t be allowed. Gives people like you a forum to produce horrible opinions. Hurley can’t make those shots. Like how can you honestly put those sentences together and think it makes sense?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
They shot well, including two absolutely fortuitous hoops. We didn't make shots we could make. Their defense was good, they made free throws and we didn’t

We were on the short end of a really competitive game

We're on to Albany

Reaction Score
This drove me crazy. Simple assignment defense was missing
A lot of angry chatter between the players and bad body language on all of those missed assignments (Sanogo throwing his arms up in the air in frustration, etc., etc.). Four defenders guarding three shooters on one side of the arc while paying zero attention to the fact that there was a single defender trying to guard two shooters on the opposite side, inevitably leading to a Marquette player basically taking a practice 3 from the corner. Repeatedly. From what I could tell, a lot of that ire seemed to be directed at Newton.

caw

Reaction Score
It was actually a fantastic play call by Shaka. Only ran it twice and it worked fantastically. Got Sanogo once and Karaban once. IIRC both were not run by Kolek. Just completely slipped the screen and took advantage of the hedge. They ran a similar play at the beginning of the game with their center diving to the rim

I like the high hedge against some teams, but with a passing team like Marquette it's not a good option. Killed UConn with those three plays.

Oddly think their center getting in foul trouble hurt UConn. He couldn't guard Sanogo, but he also isn't a three point threat. They got at least three open threes with their small lineup.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Joey took shots because he wasn't afraid.

We have a good team but not a clutch team. No one WANTED the last shot. It was forced on Hawkins.
I don't know if no one wanted the last shot. From my vantage point they seemed to lack a sense of urgency on that last possession as if they didn't know how little time was on the clock. There was ample opportunity to get a good shot off and maybe get fouled, but alas it didn't happen. That was a real headscratcher for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom