Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition

Reaction Score
Not normally an issue in our Big East play but poor foul shooting in a close game hurt us today, 60% doesn’t cut it in post season.

We did not seem to know our identity today. Our star Hawkins turned down shots and Joey C coming off the bench took the key shots at closing time. No knock on Joey but Adama, Hawkins and Karaban should take most of the key shots at closing time.

Our defense seemed poorly prepared and made bad choices. We left shooters open and we played left handlers as if they were right handlers.

I thought Clingan played well and our team suffered when he came out. Adama played well and tonight would have been a perfect double big night but we were not prepared to do it.

I thought we had learned that Andre would start the game by letting the game come to him on offense. Today he took a different approach and that led an Un-Andre type game that led to foul trouble and him being a non factor in the facets of the game he normally stars in.

One thing we limited was turnovers (9) but our offense seemed out of synced the entire night despite some good performances.

Our bench played well. Clingan, Alleyne and Joey over-all played well and totaled 25 points.

It was a winnable game that we did not win. Give Marquette credit for battling and hitting 3’s from downtown. We did lead the rebounding battle by 10, but they made 4 more threes and in a close game that made the difference.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I think we could have double big'd for a couple of minutes at the 7min left mark too. If we were able to get our entry passes in, we could have dictated that game down the stretch. They fouled every time.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with the 5th year senior veteran sharpshooter taking shots to end the game. 3 wide open looks for Joey C (I’m considering the pull-up 3 after 5 seconds as an open shot). 0 points to show for it

We gave ourselves multiple chances to win and threw them all away. If we live and die by the 3, they better go in next week. Otherwise Hurley’s seat is going to start getting warm

Clingan and Karaban are going to be BE 1st team players by junior year

Hawkins needs a strong revenge game next week. When I say needs, I mean needs.

There’s going to be a poor 13 seed stepping on the floor with us next week. I hope we come out and eat them alive, run them out of the gym, and end the game after 10 minutes

Reaction Score
Honestly, I thought Marquette play a terrific game, got ridiculous 3 point shooting from a 38% 3 point shooter off the bench (4-5), played very physical defense, got dreadful games from Hawkins (give Marquette credit for physical D on him) and Jackson, and still barely hung on to win. I really didn't have an issue with Hurley tonight. I though him going to the zone was a good job. I agree with a poster that I would have gone back to man when Marquette had the 3 players on the bench, but in the end, UConn had some open looks that didn't fall. Let's be honest, if Kolek played tonight like Hawkins did, Marquette would have gotten blown out. That's what happens when your stud no shows in a game. That and Jackson playing dreadful were killers.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I ok with looking ahead and hopefully winning a couple tourney games. But this team proved once again they just don’t win close games. Not blaming anyone or any coach. But we just don’t win close games. We had plenty of chances to win but did not. It sucks because we did not play well Marquette played as well as they could and it was a close game. BUT WE DON’T WIN CLOSE GAMES!!! We just have to live with that until they prove the statement wrong.

Reaction Score
Really? You really believe that about Hurley? It's insanity.
It may get warm on internet bulletin boards. It’s not warm in real life. He has to get better at winning close games, and he has to produce results, but this team has improved every year he has been here, and we haven’t been good enough long enough to conclude that he’ll never get us over the postseason tournament humps.

Reaction Score
These teams know each other well and we lost by 2 with multiple chances to tie or win. New teams facing us won’t have that advantage. Top 4 teams in BE basically are equal in capability. Tough league, maybe it helps us in tourney.

Reaction Score
Not normally an issue in our Big East play but poor foul shooting in a close game hurt us today, 60% doesn’t cut it in post season.

We did not seem to know our identity today. Our star Hawkins turned down shots and Joey C coming off the bench took the key shots at closing time. No knock on Joey but Adama, Hawkins and Karaban should take most of the key shots at closing time.

Our defense seemed poorly prepared and made bad choices. We left shooters open and we played left handlers as if they were right handlers.

I thought Clingan played well and our team suffered when he came out. Adama played well and tonight would have been a perfect double big night but we were not prepared to do it.

I thought we had learned that Andre would start the game by letting the game come to him on offense. Today he took a different approach and that led an Un-Andre type game that led to foul trouble and him being a non factor in the facets of the game he normally stars in.

One thing we limited was turnovers (9) but our offense seemed out of synced the entire night despite some good performances.

Our bench played well. Clingan, Alleyne and Joey over-all played well and totaled 25 points.

It was a winnable game that we did not win. Give Marquette credit for battling and hitting 3’s from downtown. We did lead the rebounding battle by 10, but they made 4 more threes and in a close game that made the difference.
This loss feels too familiar. UCONN fumbled so many opportunities to take over this game. They were certainly out of sync and their defensive effort was inconsistent.

Against the #6 team and the Big East regular season champions they came out flat defensively and played loosing basketball ultimately. The most frustrating thing is that we've had a couple of teams over the last few years that were good enough to win the BET.

AJ and Hawk was the ultimate difference in this loss here in addition to the missed free throws, and a shaky defensive effort.

Dan Hurley's own list is shrinking as it relates to the team goals. A National Championship is all that is left. Let's see if we can get at least 3 wins in the NCAA tournament. The team is good enough. A 3 to 4 seed seems about right for this squad. Let's hope that Hawks and AJ's disappearing act lights a fire in them for the NCAAs.

My Saturday schedule just freed up a bit unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Great game. Thought Hurley coached his butt off.

Prosper defended the heck out of Hawkins. Have to give him credit.

Too many times we left the corner three wide open. Also had a few bonehead miscommunications on pick and roles that left the 3 wide open.

AJ on Kolek early in the game seems like a good strategic call on paper, but I don't like putting AJ on a team's primary ball-handler. This is what got him in foul trouble early and removed him from what he's best at; defensive rebounding into an immediate fast break.

Adama did not play any defense in the first half and some of the 2nd half. It looked like he was trying to avoid fouling at all costs. Soft defensive performance by him.

Overall, great game. Great performance by our bench. Unfortunately, when AJs in that much foul trouble and Hawkins can't find a rhythm it'll be hard to win against the best teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Hawk was 4-15 from three at MSG. Not good.
He’s been cold for several weeks. Hoping it’s because BE teams know how to defend him, which won’t happen in NCAA until later rounds

Reaction Score
It’s been warm in here since the second year... ridiculous. Guys didn’t make open threes that are good shooters. Shooters that people in here at times brag about. We lost by two, I agree with no timeout at the end.

Reaction Score
It’s been warm in here since the second year... ridiculous. Guys didn’t make open threes that are good shooters. Shooters that people in here at times brag about. We lost by two, I agree with no timeout at the end.
No, you take the timeout at the end. We took it at the end of the first and got Karaban a clean look. That was malpractice when clearly all the players were passing to the next guy to take the shot. DRAW IT UP.

Reaction Score
The loss stings but...
1) We lost to a very good team who has a good chance of being a 2 seed.
2) Lost by 2 and had the ball on the last possession.
3) the bench stepped up

What hurt was
1) JH and AJ were no shows. It's no secret JH is every opponents goal to stop. JH imo lacks maturity. He easily takes himself out of the game when things are not going well for himself. AJ needs to learn how to channel his energy.
2) poor foul shooting. Even though he was 3-4 from the line, DC needs to work on his foul shooting. He will be on the line a lot.

Reaction Score
Hawk was 4-15 from three at MSG. Not good.
He took enough of shots but what I was disappointed in was that we did not seem to run stuff to get our star going using good percentage shots.

Reaction Score
Great game. Thought Hurley coached his butt off.

Prosper defended the heck out of Hawkins. Have to give him credit.

Too many times we left the corner three wide open. Also had a few bonehead miscommunications on pick and roles that left the 3 wide open.

AJ on Kolek early in the game seems like a good strategic call on paper, but I don't like putting AJ on a team's primary ball-handler. This is what got him in foul trouble early and removed him from what he's best at; defensive rebounding into an immediate fast break.

Adama did not play any defense in the first half and some of the 2nd half. It looked like he was trying to avoid fouling at all costs. Soft defensive performance by him.

Overall, great game. Great performance by our bench. Unfortunately, when AJs in that much foul trouble and Hawkins can't find a rhythm it'll be hard to win against the best teams in the country.
What happened to Andre on the baseline?

Reaction Score
Much like the HR or whiff mentality in baseball, the barrage of three pointers when two will do, has turned these games into contests that I no longer understand. Guess old age tends to have that effect.

Reaction Score
They shot the ball better than we did. Our game is faster to get easier baskets. They didn't let us do that.
We had ONE fast break basket!
They pressed our ball handlers just enough to keep us from running.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom