Chief’s Briefs - LIU Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - LIU Edition

Reaction Score
About a 50 point win. We are winning the games we are suppose to by the margins we should win by.

Jackson started the game not hesitating on his shot and stroking it with confidence. Similar to what Chief detected on his foul shots last game. Add some highlight dunks, steals and blocked shots and you can start to see what a dynamic player he can be.

The most impressive feature of his play though is when he gets a rebound, block or steal and then leads the break and finishes with a nice assist or score.

However that improvement was slightly offset early by some ill advised fancy or lazy passes, which were either not received or caught at the knee level and therefore not really in a triple threat type scoring position. Gaffney displayed sloppiness early with the ball too. Reminds me of Bob Cousy’s comment - you don’t get additional points for degree of difficulty. But, these things can be easily cleaned up and despite a couple sloppy plays early, Gaffney played well and continued his calm and confident offense.

Whaley and Polley have been terrible from 3 this season. What that means is Whaley needs to stop taking them and Polley needs to start making them and he showed some sign overall of playing better.

Kante for LIU was outstanding in the first half. Consistently scoring, rebouunding and getting our front court into foul trouble. Once Sanogo got in foul trouble, no one could match up with Kante. Good halftime adjustment, we brought help the second half and he seemed to tire.

Something to keep in mind when we play better teams, Sanogo must be real careful with his fouls. I see Akok is more of a help shot blocker than one on his man in the post. He can be overpowered in the post and that throws off his shot blocking balance. But, tonight he got better as the game went on.

Chief thought we prepared well and largely stopped Flowers. It’s nice to see a key part of a game plan work.

Hurley must be smiling with the aid of Sanogo’s early foul trouble, he avoided playing Chief’s “Dream Line-up” together: Sanogo, Martin, Jackson, Cole and Gaffney. I will take abuse until the next game or later.

RJ Cole is starting to be the guy he needs to be. Smart, calm leadership and a guy who adds toughness to the team by taking charges.

Martin was relatively quiet - did not hurt us but did not do as much to help us as his previous two games. But, he made his shots.

Quick Hawkins observation - Ray Allen type. Of course, I am not saying he’s going to be that good. But, he has that style of play and a beautiful shot.
Just like the way Springs operates around the basket. He brings it at practice and in the game, creating second opportunities.

Slow start but good second half.
Player of the game = Andre Jackson, who likes Blaze pizzas.
Most Improved = Tyler Polley

Reaction Score
How do we score 93 points but only have 14 assists? ……and Cole had 6! That’s 8 assists for everyone else. Despite some good individual plays today our ball movement wasn’t as crisp as it needs to be. There, Chief found a problem with a 50+ point win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Martin played an excellent game. 10 points on 4 for 4 shooting, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 0 turnovers.
Good points. I said he made his shots but he did have a few more rebounds than I thought and while not scoring like last game did hit double figures. The good news is his play has raised expectations.

Reaction Score
About a 50 point win. We are winning the games we are suppose to by the margins we should win by.

Jackson started the game not hesitating on his shot and stroking it with confidence. Similar to what Chief detected on his foul shots last game. Add some highlight dunks, steals and blocked shots and you can start to see what a dynamic player he can be.

The most impressive feature of his play though is when he gets a rebound, block or steal and then leads the break and finishes with a nice assist or score.

However that improvement was slightly offset early by some ill advised fancy or lazy passes, which were either not received or caught at the knee level and therefore not really in a triple threat type scoring position. Gaffney displayed sloppiness early with the ball too. Reminds me of Bob Cousy’s comment - you don’t get additional points for degree of difficulty. But, these things can be easily cleaned up and despite a couple sloppy plays early, Gaffney played well and continued his calm and confident offense.

Whaley and Polley have been terrible from 3 this season. What that means is Whaley needs to stop taking them and Polley needs to start making them and he showed some sign overall of playing better.

Kante for LIU was outstanding in the first half. Consistently scoring, rebouunding and getting our front court into foul trouble. Once Sanogo got in foul trouble, no one could match up with Kante. Good halftime adjustment, we brought help the second half and he seemed to tire.

Something to keep in mind when we play better teams, Sanogo must be real careful with his fouls. I see Akok is more of a help shot blocker than one on his man in the post. He can be overpowered in the post and that throws off his shot blocking balance. But, tonight he got better as the game went on.

Chief thought we prepared well and largely stopped Flowers. It’s nice to see a key part of a game plan work.

Hurley must be smiling with the aid of Sanogo’s early foul trouble, he avoided playing Chief’s “Dream Line-up” together: Sanogo, Martin, Jackson, Cole and Gaffney. I will take abuse until the next game or later.

RJ Cole is starting to be the guy he needs to be. Smart, calm leadership and a guy who adds toughness to the team by taking charges.

Martin was relatively quiet - did not hurt us but did not do as much to help us as his previous two games. But, he made his shots.

Quick Hawkins observation - Ray Allen type. Of course, I am not saying he’s going to be that good. But, he has that style of play and a beautiful shot.
Just like the way Springs operates around the basket. He brings it at practice and in the game, creating second opportunities.

I too would like to see that line up. Glad to see Akok playing well, it’s a big plus. I’m not sure if they’re going to be able to get away with playing Whaley and Sanogo together for long stretches. I love them defensively but offensively it just doesn’t flow that well. I thought LIU did a great job for the first 12-16 minutes of that game, mucking the game up and making UConn uncomfortable. Glad to see UConn push the pace and do what they should do. This team can defend like hell, cause havoc and get out for some easy baskets. That’ll be a big key for them against Better comp.

Reaction Score
So in other words as some think on this board. He does NOT SUCK! Love his game and he is only going to get better.
He is at his best when that happens. Oh! How about that blocked shot on Kante. That SUCKED for Kante.
Always thought that about RJ and I have posted on here " that we need RJ"
I thought he had a very good game. Not sure what you saw there.
Nice to see Hawkins get some run in tonight. He will be special.
Most improved Tyler = not! Don't see it yet.

Reaction Score
Wow. Even Chief is jumping on the Springs band wagon.
I have been a Springs guy for a long time. Actually, since prep school. Love how he mixes it up in practice around the basket. He is a relentless offensive rebounder - that wears the other team down. True a role player, but adds value in his role.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Against the good teams our transition will need to be even crisper to get the easy points.
Not wrong, just happy to see guys who want to fly around out there

With their athleticism and that mindset the rest should work itself out

Reaction Score
Not wrong, just happy to see guys who want to fly around out there

With their athleticism and that mindset the rest should work itself out
I want to see the ball moving in crisp passes with a purpose. Let’s not try to make up for missing First Night with the French pastry passes.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

Jackson played his best game so far tonight. I wasn't sold on him like everyone else. But tonight I am sold. Great game confidence!!.

At the start LI did not look like a cupcake. They played better than the last two games. If fact, in my opinion, I thought Sonogo met his match against Kante. Kante looked like our Sonogo. I always like Gaffney. Hawkins does look smooth. As good as we look, these games are not what we are going to see the rest of the year. When we get to Atlantis, let the show begin. It's nice to have a deep bench.

Reaction Score
Jackson played his best game so far tonight. I wasn't sold on him like everyone else. But tonight I am sold. Great game confidence!!.

At the start LI did not look like a cupcake. They played better than the last two games. If fact, in my opinion, I thought Sonogo met his match against Kante. Kante looked like our Sonogo. I always like Gaffney. Hawkins does look smooth. As good as we look, these games are not what we are going to see the rest of the year. When we get to Atlantis, let the show begin. It's nice to have a deep bench.
Agree, the show begins @ Atlantis. As the season goes on Jackson, Hawkins and Gaffney will likely merit more and more playing time. Tyler will need to more consistently hit the 3 for time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Agree, the show begins @ Atlantis. As the season goes on Jackson, Hawkins and Gaffney will likely merit more and more playing time. Tyler will need to more consistently hit the 3 for time.
Hi Chief00 - once the "real" season starts, teams are going to allow RJ to start his drive and gang up and force him to make a quick decision while stuck near the hoop, something he seems to have an issue with and that will be a problem
Hawkins has to get at least 25-30 minutes a game - he is too special to hold back
Akok is looking to be more physical, I like that but his man on man defense is not very good - but when he has his hops he looks nice
Speaking of hops - Jackson was eye popping a few times - athleticism over the top and his passing is amazing at times- his handle is not good and the shot is ugly but he sank a few - overall very nice game
I know he gets better as the season progresses but Whaley looks way too hesitant on offense - hopefully he doesn't wait too long
Sanogo had his first struggle game - the big guy on LIU and I mean big guy, got his angles and position way too easy on Sanogo and Akok and neither had a hand in the guys face as the ball was passed to him - Sanogo did have some nice moments
Agreed with Gaff - he was sloppy, playing faster than he should but overall not a bad effort
Let the games begin next week - I think this team will surprise some folks
Go Huskies
BTW - Jim Mora Jr was a delight speaking to the crowd - got to greet him as he was leaving the arena with his wife - I think he is what this program needs (sorry for the football talk)

Reaction Score
Hi Chief00 - once the "real" season starts, teams are going to allow RJ to start his drive and gang up and force him to make a quick decision while stuck near the hoop, something he seems to have an issue with and that will be a problem
Hawkins has to get at least 25-30 minutes a game - he is too special to hold back
Akok is looking to be more physical, I like that but his man on man defense is not very good - but when he has his hops he looks nice
Speaking of hops - Jackson was eye popping a few times - athleticism over the top and his passing is amazing at times- his handle is not good and the shot is ugly but he sank a few - overall very nice game
I know he gets better as the season progresses but Whaley looks way too hesitant on offense - hopefully he doesn't wait too long
Sanogo had his first struggle game - the big guy on LIU and I mean big guy, got his angles and position way too easy on Sanogo and Akok and neither had a hand in the guys face as the ball was passed to him - Sanogo did have some nice moments
Agreed with Gaff - he was sloppy, playing faster than he should but overall not a bad effort
Let the games begin next week - I think this team will surprise some folks
Go Huskies
BTW - Jim Mora Jr was a delight speaking to the crowd - got to greet him as he was leaving the arena with his wife - I think he is what this program needs (sorry for the football talk)
@gtcam excellent post and insights on the basketball stuff. Good to see Mora selling the program to the boosters and fans. Now he needs to sell it to recruits and portal transfers.
While we can afford some sloppiness against LIU in a 50 point win, against good teams you pay for your mistakes. You obviously want the guys to run and not play tight. So it’s finding the right balance and mindset of doing both in real time. If Jackson tightens up his dribble and makes the simple pass rather than the degree of difficulty one, he is going to give us an absolutely scary dimension, especially if he can hit some non hesitant 3’s. I can see him getting a rebound and starting a break that ultimately ends in a dunk or a trailing Hawkins open 3.
As for RJ he does use the rim better now to shield the defender from blocking lay-ups but I get it. I see him as a prober not a penetrator against a good team. Last night we did not have the 3rd or 4th pass plays with the last one being an assist. We need to get back to the ball movement. Gaffney may be the guy to penetrate against good teams. He has the physical ability to do it, just needs to be laser focused abd not careless with the ball. Diggins injury held him back some at a bad time when he could get time against cupcake teams. Danny doesn’t like to experiment with freshman against good teams unless they already have proven something in games.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
2 minutes into his career and you can tell Hawkins is going to be special. I don't know what "it" is but Hawkins definitely has "IT"
Dana Carvey Nbc GIF

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that Polley’s minutes are going to fall off dramatically once Hawkins gets more experience? If his 3-ball isn’t falling, it’s tough to keep him on the floor.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
This team is different! No more stale 3 man weave offense. We’ve seen that garbage since the Ollie days. No more Carlton missing bunnies and defending guys out by the 3pt line. No more getting out rebounded on the offensive glass. They don’t look for one guy like Bouk or Vital to score causing the whole team to stop. They now push the ball. They can can defend the 3pt shot which killed them against even bad teams. UCONN is back for sure!!

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that Polley’s minutes are going to fall off dramatically once Hawkins gets more experience? If his 3-ball isn’t falling, it’s tough to keep him on the floor.
Ironically, I could see Polley getting minutes up front for defense, if foul trouble. Post injury I think it’s easy for him to cover a Big and he has filled out some. Of course, he’s capable of going off in a game with 3’s but it appears that Hawkins has the potential to do it more consistently.

Reaction Score
This team is different! No more stale 3 man weave offense. We’ve seen that garbage since the Ollie days. No more Carlton missing bunnies and defending guys out by the 3pt line. No more getting out rebounded on the offensive glass. They don’t look for one guy like Bouk or Vital to score causing the whole team to stop. They now push the ball. They can can defend the 3pt shot which killed them against even bad teams. UCONN is back for sure!!
Chief isn’t going to miss the 3 man weave. Hopefully, close the book on that! I think Danny has made the decision that we will try to kill our opponents on the offensive glass rather than pretending we can stretch the court. Have Adama post, receive a double and have guys like Jackson and IW come in from the baseline the to crash the boards. I think that’s a good strategy with this team and today teams aren’t used to trying to counteract that.
Any truth to the rumor Hurley is planning on kicking his suits and tailoring up a notch? That’s what I am hearing, believe it when I see it. But, his assistants have raised the bar. And to think Calhoun used to view Tom Moore as Mr Fashion Statement. Now with Kimani, Luke and Taliek. Wow!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Interestingly I thought we were awful for the first 10 minutes. Couldn't stop Kante, too many fouls, shots not falling. Then the defense took over and it turned into a blowout. Not a lot of pretty basketball, not many assists because so much came on the break.

I hope that is our identity. That the team realizes when the shots aren't falling, they can turn up the defensive intensity and turn on the shock and awe transition game. I really want to see us play some better teams. Loved Hawkins debut.

Sanogo got a bit of a lesson with a guy he can't bully in the paint. But he learned and it was beautiful to see him take Kante outside late and blow by him off the dribble for a score. That was a signature play for me.

Gaffney continues to be critical. Plays with speed now and it's starting to come naturally to him to do so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom