Chief’s Briefs - Kansas Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Kansas Edition

Reaction Score
Karaban needs to wake up from his slumber. Expected way more from him tonight.
Different players but I think teams have made adjustments to playing against Alex just like they did with Andre last January, and now is our time to counter. The thing he did do effectively was drive yesterday and while it did not happen with the refs yesterday it would be a way to get a good foul shooter to the line too. Often that opens things up.

Reaction Score
It’s not ideal to have your second ball handler be Cam Spencer.

A 6’6 top ten pick would have paid dividends tonight.

Karaban got in a mini groove at the end before he fouled out. Resembled the Texas game, but I just don’t understand why it takes that long. It felt like he went possessions without touching the ball.

The only thing I miss the most I wish Hurley would do more of that Calhoun would do is inbounding the ball quick off makes. His teams used to get layups off makes with how quick they get up the floor.

UConn got nothing easy tonight. Live and learn. Go huskies!
Agree, need some fast break mentality.

Reaction Score
I don’t like our 7’2” center setting screens at the top of the key on almost every off set. Last game it was feed the big dog down low, this game we just seemed reluctant to give him the ball.
I would have liked to have challenged Dickinson on the low box and DC has shown some ability to kick out when defended.
Very winnable game, great effort.
Short bench hurt

We were playing New Hampshire with a frontline of 6-6, 6-6, and 6-8. Of course we fed DC. Unfortunately, DC has not shown that he has really any semblance of a post game against quality talent let alone, arguably, the best big man in the country. I do not think we lost because DC did not get enough post ops. If you're advocating for more inside/out play then I do agree. The problem was, at least in the first half, their ball pressure and switching made it difficult for us to do anything offensively.

Reaction Score
Karaban not being himself and clingan still with stamina issues certainly didn’t help.

But when the 30% 3 point shooter hits clutch shot after clutch shot and the 25% free throw shooter hits 6 of 10….little bit of luck on their side tonight

Kansas shot 50% from the field, 64% from 3…..they can’t play any better than they did…….and were a couple of inches from LOSING the game on a hobbled Spencer 3

uconn is VERY GOOD
I agree but is it a year where injuries keep happening? It is a tough situation. Danny has proven practice success formula from last year. Does he change all that to reduce injury risk? Or are we just unlucky with injury this season?

Reaction Score
You missed the most important thing Chief. The switch to the two big line up late in the game resulted in a 11-0 Kansas run that decided the ball game. We were leading when it was done. It killed our offense.

Yeah, the first ten minutes hurt us. And Spenser's 2-12 (or whatever it was) didn't help. But the two bigs was the key to final result.
All I noticed then was McCullar draining threes.

Reaction Score
Sorry but we were ambushed. They were ready for us. Marquette set us up dammit!
Once we settled down, we positioned ourselves to win. Anyway, 'A game' only in this place if you want to snatch victory at their place. But that opening was brutal and here's why:

Reaction Score
This was a problem this game. I don’t expect it to be a long term issue.
I totally agree. I think this was a game changer stat., a very winnable game for us in a hostile inviorment.

Reaction Score
Karaban needs to wake up from his slumber. Expected way more from him tonight.

They played great defensive on Karaban. I think he was they guy that Kansas worried about most.

He got a few good shots off, but they were immediately on him in transition.

Reaction Score
Dan did state that last year's team was better on December 1st last year than this team is this year. As long as this team learns and grows, it will be fine in March. I was happy to see this team come back after tough start to game. Without Newton, the game could have been over early. Even the Jayhawk announcers mentioned that this was a very tough first road game of the year for UConn.

Reaction Score
Sorry but we were ambushed. They were ready for us. Marquette set us up dammit!
Once we settled down, we positioned ourselves to win. Anyway, 'A game' only in this place if you want to snatch victory at their place. But that opening was brutal and here's why:

I mean we took the lead by 5 or more points with about 8 minutes to go in the second half.

Despite our shooting woes from the foul line and behind the arc, and the crappy fouls they called on us, this was a very winnable game.

Reaction Score
I don’t like our 7’2” center setting screens at the top of the key on almost every off set. Last game it was feed the big dog down low, this game we just seemed reluctant to give him the ball.
I would have liked to have challenged Dickinson on the low box and DC has shown some ability to kick out when defended.
Very winnable game, great effort.
Short bench hurt
Their bench was as short as ours. I hate losing, but I walked away thinking both teams healthy, neutral court in March, I think we can handle them. We win if we’re not a man down. We win if DC and Spencer don’t have foot problems during the game. We win if we hit our foul shots. And while I thought overall the refs did an o.k. Job in such a high intensity, physical game, we win if they call the foul where Samson Johnson had chased down an offensive rebound on the left sideline and gets taken out by a clip directly from behind (even Bilas said something) leading to a KU 3 right when they took the lead back for the last time.

Point being, despite KU coming out with far, far more intensity than us at home to start the game, it took a heck of a lot going wrong to keep us from winning. Again, it hurt losing but we all know whether you won or lost that game doesn’t count for beans when we see who wins their conferences and when we start the big dance in March. All that will really matter is that neither DC nor Spencer is seriously hurt.

Last edited:

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I just think that Adams was a nightmare matchup for him on our offensive end. Adams used his advantages in athleticism to negate a lot of what Alex can do. He was quick enough to stick close to him on the perimeter to limit his three looks. That same quickness helped him stay in front of Alex when he tried to drive. And he was strong enough to challenge him on the rare occasions when Alex received the ball down low. Not too many guys can do all of that on the defensive end or will give that level of effort to do it.
Newton said so himself in post game conf, that they hadn't seen anyone like Adams on defensive side being able to switch quickly, making it difficult for them.

Reaction Score
I like our team. Spencer played really bad in the first half. He was giving up his dribble prematurely and looked tense. He was hobbled and played so hard in the second half but he was still off. Karaban needs to be better and more aggressive. I’m not worried about him though. He got screwed a couple times by the refs. We didn’t look very athletic without Castle and with Samson not playing many minutes. Ball’s ball handling seems to be getting better but not yet good enough to create on his own against good teams. That will come. Diarra played really hard but was a little outmatched talent-wise. Again, with castle that wouldn’t be a problem. Newton kept us in the game..what a performance by him

Reaction Score
If we play like this on Tuesday we will not win -- UNC is as good a team on paper as Kansas, just not as well coached. If you're not named Tristen Newton, you need to look in the mirror or get healthy. Everyone was talking about this game (and rightfully so) but if you're expecting to waltz into MSG on Tuesday and expect a W you are sorely mistaken. They just put up 100 on Tennessee (who has KenPom #3 D AFTER that game still...our D dropped all the way down to 15 from being top 10 after last night, mind you). They are very similar to Texas in the sense they have very good -- but small -- guards, so that of course plays in our favor.

I trust Hurley to prevent this from being a letdown spot, but I am concerned. Tough to play big games-back-to-back in the regular season (of course different mindset in March when it's do or die).

Reaction Score
This is a simple analysis. Kansas jumped on us early. Karaban and clingan did not play great. Spencer was a little hurt /out of it. No castle was huge. Despite all that , we had lead in second half. Newton balled out. No doubt in my mind, we beat them 8 times out of 10 on thier floor if everyone plays like they should and castle is back. Not a bad loss at all. Looked like it cudda been blowout city early on. Now let’s smash unc in the garden !!!!

Reaction Score
Kansas came out strong both on defense and offense. UConn offensive spacing was poor. But then, Kansas meet Mr Newton and his 31 points.

We took Kansas best shot and injuries have started to accumulate for us. We took the lead but Kansas hit threes late and beat us in an exciting game.

McCullar hurt us towards the end with his shooting. We continually loss him defensively despite all the shots he made. It is tough to win when you shoot 53% from the foul line and 9% less on FG’s than your opponent.
We need Karaban to break out of his mini slump and I think he will. Diarra is getting good minutes and good play but sometimes needs to give it up to a shooter with less dribbling with the game on the line.

Looking forward to getting Castle back if he is 100% ready to go. Taking Kansas to the wire on the road with one of our best players out is something we can built on.
Karaban is too good a player to be non existent for too many stretches.
Also had some silly fouls, speaking mostly of the 5th.

Overall , I thought Kansas D overwhelmed us. Team fought back and really made it a great game. Free throws need some attention.

Home court, Castle out, and Spencer not 100% probably were the difference in this one. That and 50% from charity stripe

Reaction Score
This is a simple analysis. Kansas jumped on us early. Karaban and clingan did not play great. Spencer was a little hurt /out of it. No castle was huge. Despite all that , we had lead in second half. Newton balled out. No doubt in my mind, we beat them 8 times out of 10 on thier floor if everyone plays like they should and castle is back. Not a bad loss at all. Looked like it cudda been blowout city early on. Now let’s smash unc in the garden !!!!

Good post, but to be completely honest, if both teams bring their A game on their home court? I’d take 5 out of 10 wins and still feel good about this team‘s chances in March.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Their bench was as short as ours. I hate losing, but I walked away thinking both teams healthy, neutral court in March, I think we can handle them. We win if we’re not a man down. We win if DC and Spencer don’t have foot problems during the game. We win if we hit our foul shots. And while I thought overall the refs did an o.k. Job in such a high intensity, physical game, we win if they call the foul where Samson Johnson had chased down an offensive rebound on the left sideline and gets taken out by a clip directly from behind (even Bilas said something) leading to a KU 3 right when they took the lead back for the last time.

Point being, despite KU coming out with far, far more intensity than us at home to start the game, it took a heck of a lot going wrong to keep us from winning. Again, it hurt losing but we all know whether you won or lost that game doesn’t count for beans when we see who wins their conferences and when we start the big dance in March. All that will really matter is that neither DC nor Spencer is seriously hurt.
This game didn’t bother me at all. It’s hoops and especially between 2 good teams, every game is different As hostile as any environment they will play in all year. Down early, come back. Newton and Spencer will shoot better from the stripe most games. Newton won’t be so crazy but other guys will shoot better. Newton proves every night how great it is to have good 3-4 year vets on a team. But also no Castle who really needs action against teams that will test him. Hopefully as the season goes on, the other frosh besides Ball will give Hurley the confidence to play them. Aside from not winning, that loss means zero so long as they can take care of business most nights.

ETA: if Newton isn’t an NBA player, it’s only because of the evolution of the game. UConn once had a point guard about the same size as Newton drafted (inexplicably) in the first round. His name was Tate George and he wasn’t a third the talent of Newton

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
IMO Dickinson would have not been able to run and jump with Samson for extended time. It was him who was in when we built the lead right? Donovan actually did okay against a bigger older guy but today showed he has a lot of room to grow.

Reactions: Jds
Reaction Score
You missed the most important thing Chief. The switch to the two big line up late in the game resulted in a 11-0 Kansas run that decided the ball game. We were leading when it was done. It killed our offense.

Yeah, the first ten minutes hurt us. And Spenser's 2-12 (or whatever it was) didn't help. But the two bigs was the key to final result.

The two bigs was ok when we used it in the first half, and was only used in the second due to Karaban’s foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I give Kansas all the credit in winning this game, but I think we benefited more from this awesome contest than the Jayhawks did. They game-planned to stop our screens on offense, and did a fantastic job of it in building a 12 point lead. They also closed out with an 11-0 run. Congratulations to them and to their excellent coach. But Kansas won a home game, and needed an element of tactical surprise to do it.

However, despite not winning the game, I believe UConn got more out this. Kansas got the "W" but UConn got the rest of the alphabet in terms of learning where they are and what they need to do to win another championship. They also benefited more psychologically from knowing they took Kansas' best shot, and still had a chance to steal a win if only Spencer were able to somehow will the ball into the basket with seconds left.

With one exception, I downplay the injuries because that's just part of the game. However, Spencer was coming up inches short on his shots all night, which I attribute to his weakened ankles. His shot were mostly dead-on but hitting the front of the rim. This happened multiple times, including on free throws.

Reaction Score
I give Kansas all the credit in winning this game, but I think we benefited more from this awesome contest than the Jayhawks did. They game-planned to stop our screens on offense, and did a fantastic job of it in building a 12 point lead. They also closed out with an 11-0 run. Congratulations to them and to their excellent coach. But Kansas won a home game, and needed an element of tactical surprise to do it.

However, despite not winning the game, I believe UConn got more out this. Kansas got the "W" but UConn got the rest of the alphabet in terms of learning where they are and what they need to do to win another championship. They also benefited more psychologically from knowing they took Kansas' best shot, and still had a chance to steal a win if only Spencer were able to somehow will the ball into the basket with seconds left.

With one exception, I downplay the injuries because that's just part of the game. However, Spencer was coming up inches short on his shots all night, which I attribute to his weakened ankles. His shot were mostly dead-on but hitting the front of the rim. This happened multiple times, including on free throws.
True, that happened on Spencer’s shot last night. A shot starts in the feet/legs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom