Chief’s Briefs- Indiana Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs- Indiana Edition

Reaction Score
Playing a good team without arguably your best all round player can be a challenge. Add your other top player still recovering from a foot injury and you really appreciate the 20 point win. What stood out to me was toughness (44 to 22 rebounds) and unselfish play (19 to 6 assists).

I thought Newton, Spencer and Karaban provided good offense. Clingan showed improvement from the foul line and that will be key with Castle sidelined. Donovan showing a lot of moxy and toughness helping lead the team despite not being in top form yet due to foot recovery.

Newton is perhaps our most under rated player. Tristen does so many things to win a game (22 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists and toughness). He is a very crafty player and offensively on drives protects the ball well with his body.

Give Reneau credit, he is a tough matchup for us. Ironically, perhaps our best defensive matchup might be Castle. This is when we miss Sanogo strength and quick lateral feet for a guy his size. But, in the second half foul trouble and some defensive adjustment lessen his impact.

This was the first game in a long time I thought Karaban defensive match-up and the resulting fouls impacted his offense somewhat.

I think Ball will make an important contribution this year. At this point though do more on drives than threes.

Spencer the last two games has shown what his teammates raved about all summer. A very good 3 shooter who is also a three level threat.

Reaction Score
This was the first game in a long time I thought Karaban defensive match-up and the resulting fouls impacted his offense somewhat.

Flashbacks to the Bryce Hopkins game a bit tonight. Karaban made quick defensive adjustments last year, but still looks like he can’t rely on his frame to make up for the size differential yet.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Newton could have been just as dominant in the first 3 games as he was today. He is in complete control of the game and pace when in
That is what will be deadly about this team-between his and Castle's control and smart play it will be almost impossible to rattle the pups.

Reaction Score
As has been said before on this board. I can see that the bench players time on the floor is going to work in our favor down the road. Getting to know each others moves and strengths.

Reaction Score
That is what will be deadly about this team-between his and Castle's control and smart play it will be almost impossible to rattle the pups.
We got smart play executed from multiple positions.

Reaction Score
I feel like Has is so important to this team, especially now with Castle out. But I also feel that Has will be very integral once we enter tournament play later on in the season.

Reaction Score
Tristan and Cam were the stars of the game along with team defense. Tristan and Cam seem to be working better together which bodes well for the future. Cam had a few passes to DC for easy shots that didn't seem to click . This may be result of DC's foot since he missed some easy potential dunks off rebounds as well. Nice to see Ball make his shots in the second half.

Reaction Score
Tristen show! He was amazing. Cam played well too. But today, you could really see how our offense ground to a halt without Tristen on the court. Really missing Stephon but team played with a lot of grit and toughness. Samson played well and was very disruptive. Alex played well too even though his shooting was off today. Honestly, we played good not great and still beat an IU team with talent by 20 so can’t really complain. I will say that Donovan did not play well and seemed gassed which surprised me. I can’t imagine that Donovan will have another equally bad game this season.

Reaction Score
Overall team defense was tremendous, particularly liked how they cut off the passing lines repeatedly.

Reaction Score
Newton is perhaps our most under rated player. Tristen does so many things to win a game (22 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists and toughness). He is a very crafty player and offensively on drives protects the ball well with his body.
Newton is well on his way to becoming the most underrated player in UConn history. Dude deserves much more love than he gets, including from the hardcore fans.

Hopefully he's got more national TV performances like this (and like the title game) in him. Kid can play himself into a draft pick.

Reaction Score
Newton is well on his way to becoming the most underrated player in UConn history. Dude deserves much more love than he gets, including from the hardcore fans.

Hopefully he's got more national TV performances like this (and like the title game) in him. Kid can play himself into a draft pick.
Not a secret how valuable he is anymore. We're lucky.

Reaction Score
Newton and Karaban are our best players. Clingan and Castle are our most interesting players.

Reaction Score
Newton is very highly rated, especially after last year, and yet this is still 100% FACTS. I don't want to start throwing accolades around but there is a certain wall that may have his name on it one day

Reaction Score
77 total points
0 fast break points
No Jackson pushing the ball and no Hawkins running out on the break. We should see that change a bit once Castle is running the break. Very solid win.
to be fair, they may have been prioritizing getting back on defense over crashing the glass. they got four total offensive rebounds and two were team rebounds (!!!) lol.

that's part of what lead to us doubling them up on the glass. you take what the other team gives you.

Reaction Score
Tristen show! He was amazing. Cam played well too. But today, you could really see how our offense ground to a halt without Tristen on the court. Really missing Stephon but team played with a lot of grit and toughness. Samson played well and was very disruptive. Alex played well too even though his shooting was off today. Honestly, we played good not great and still beat an IU team with talent by 20 so can’t really complain. I will say that Donovan did not play well and seemed gassed which surprised me. I can’t imagine that Donovan will have another equally bad game this season.
Don't recall Karaban ever missing three 3s in a row. Don't think that's going to happen very often. Renaud has an NBA body and really good low post moves. We really didn't have a match up for him.

Reaction Score
Very impressed with the defense today. Felt like we had 6 guys on the court at times.
Ware is an impressive athlete and bonafide 1st round pick and he couldnt do anything inside the arch.

DC having 1 foul in 30 minutes was dynamite.

Reaction Score
I loved the passing today. Clingan shows he doesn't have to score to be a big factor in win. He had some nice passes.

The team defense was solid. There were a few open 3's, more so in the first half, but Indiana missed them.

Looking forward to getting Castle back and letting Newton get a breather even if it's on court and just off the ball. Newton just seems to be comfortable now and I think the only thing that can really stop him now are the injury or the Big East refs.

The team had their C or C+ game on offense and still be a pretty good team, pulling away comfortably in the end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom